We’ve just opened registrations for our January HSC lectures! Click here to register now before we run out of tickets!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

January 17, 2017, 05:50:39 pm

Author Topic: Monash University - Subject Reviews & Ratings  (Read 247671 times)  Share 

gabo8273

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Doncaster Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: Monash University - Subject Reviews & Ratings
« Reply #345 on: December 05, 2016, 04:29:47 pm »
+2
Subject Code/Name: BMS2062 - Introduction to Bioinformatics

Workload: 
  • 2x 1 hour lecture
  • 1x 3 hour tut

Assessment:
  • Midsem - 12%
  • Weekly Labs - 33%
  • Professional Development program - 2%
  • Disease Protein Assignment - 15%
  • Revision quiz - 3%
  • Exam - 35%
Recorded Lectures:  Yes, with screen capture.

Past exams available:  Not that I know of.

Textbook Recommendation:  The lectures were good enough to make textbooks redundant. However, Lehninger probably covers everything in the unit.

Lecturer(s):

• Anna Roujeinikova
  • Terry Kwok
  • Phillip Bird
  • Michelle Dunstone
  • Matthew Wilce
  • Jackie Wilce
  • Martin Stone
  • Craig Morton

Year & Semester of completion: 2016, Sem 2

Rating: 4 out of 5

Your Mark/Grade: 87 - HD

Comments:

This unit was the easiest of the BMS units this semester. Despite this, some students found it incredibly boring during the lectures (me), which made it more difficult to study.

The lectures of this unit, while being well-delivered, were pretty boring. It isn't a fault of the lecturers however that the content they are teaching is try. Most of the many lecturers are able to communicate the information concisely and bring some life into the content. As there are only 2 lectures a week, there are only 23 lectures to study for the exam, which is nice.

Like most BMS and science units, your lab grades depend heavily on the TA marking your labwork. If you TA is a harsh marker, then you're in a bad spot. Despite this, it is not difficult to get high scores (90+) in the labs. The labs are weekly exercises on computers, involving completing scientific analysis of whatever you're studying that week. They will also consolidate the content covered within the lectures. The first 6 or so labs are dry, because they're covering mostly DNA sequences. The rest are enjoyable, involving the observation and interaction of protein tertiary structure, using the program Pymol.

Within the labs are the Disease Protein assignment. Students are allocated a protein randomly. Each protein has an associated disease. For example, mine was Factor IX, relating to the disease Haemophilia B. Like almost all university units, your grades on this report depend on whether the TA marking your work is a harsh marker. While my work was marked nicely, some students had issues with tough markers.

The final exam for the unit was not difficult. Studying the content should guarantee a D or HD on the exam.

Overall, despite the average content, this unit was well-organized, delivered and taught. Plus, getting a high score isn't too difficult.

ravenswood

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #346 on: December 07, 2016, 12:10:42 pm »
+1
Subject Code/Name:
FIT1008 - Introduction to Computer Science

Workload: 
  • 3x 1 hour lecture
  • 1x 1 hour tut
  • 1 x 3 hour workshop

Assessment:
  • Mid Semester Test- 10%
  • Code review - 5%
  • Weekly quizzes - 5%
  • Assessed pracs - 20%
  • Exam - 60%

Past exams available:  Yes, with solutions.

Textbook Recommendation:  Everything you need to know is in the lectures and Monash's online repository (Alexandria).

Lecturer(s):

• Phillip Abramson
  • Julian Garcia Gallego

Rating: 5 out of 5

Your Mark/Grade: 75 - D

Comments:

This was an excellent but tricky unit. There is a lot of content and some of it is quite challenging so it can be easy to fall behind, but if you stay on top of everything week by week you'll have no trouble getting through it.

First week is spent revising content learnt in previous programming units (however it seems to be based mostly on what was taught in FIT1045, but don't worry if you haven't done it) After that, you spend the next 3 weeks on assembly programming using MIPS software. If you've never done assembly before it can definitely be overwhelming at first, but with enough practice anybody can get the hang of it. Both lecturers, especially Phillip are excellent resources and are quick to answer emails regarding any issues you have with the content and were especially useful when learning assembly.

Week 5 onwards is all Python, and the focus is on sorting algorithms, time complexity, recursion, data structures and hashing, none of which is too difficult if you pay attention and keep up with the tutorials and workshops. The quizzes are taken straight from the lectures (with answers) and the code review is 1% for each week over 5 weeks, basically all you need to do is attend the workshops and lectures and you're guaranteed 10% of your total mark.

The assessed pracs are challenging (especially the assembly prac) and time consuming. START EARLY. They run over two weeks, and you must reach a checkpoint by the end of the workshop in the first week in order to be assessed. I got 100% across all my assessed pracs (there are three) but it involved putting in an extensive amount of hours and many late nights. It's also essential that you understand your code, as the workshop tutor marks your prac during the second week and asks questions to ensure you did it yourself.

The mid semester test was relatively straight forward, and is primarily based on the tutorial questions from weeks 1-5. The tutorial questions are the best study resource available for both the mid semester test and the exam, and i found them more challenging than the pracs. the exam was easy, just practice the tut questions and past exams (there are a few) and you'll be fine.

If you don't fall behind and are willing to put the work in, this is an interesting and rewarding unit. It's taught in a way that emphasises why you're learning the things being taught, which makes it easy to engage in the more complex content.

ravenswood

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #347 on: December 08, 2016, 08:17:00 pm »
+1
Subject Code/Name:
FIT1047 - Introduction to computer systems, networks and security

Workload: 
  • 2x 1 hour lecture
    • 1x 2 hour tutorial

Assessment:
  • Assignment 1 - 17.5%
  • Assignment 2 - 17.5%
  • MARS(lecture) questions - 5%
  • Exam - 60%

Past exams available:  Only one, with solutions.

Textbook Recommendation:  Everything you need to know is in the lectures, but there is some useful information for MARIE assembly found on the internet..

Lecturer(s):

• Guido Tack
  • Carsten Rudolph

Rating: 3 out of 5

Your Mark/Grade: 83 - HD

Comments:

I found this to be a pretty dry but useful unit. There's an extensive amount of stuff taught, ranging from number representation, logical circuits, computer hardware, routing, cryptography etc (far too much to list here). due to so much being taught, none of it is in particularly great detail and you'll find yourself needing only a surface level understanding for the assignments and the exam (however extra individual study is highly encouraged by both lecturers and resources are provided). Carsten and Guido are both excellent and funny lecturers, and do a good job of making a generally boring subject matter more interesting and engaging.

Assignment 1 pretty weird, most of it is pretty basic but the difficulty level jumps significantly for the final questions, completed in MARIE assembly language. i would advise doing as much self study and extra work as you can when learning MARIE in order to prepare yourself for this assignment, otherwise you'll likely find yourself stuck on the final questions. there's an in-class interview which you must attend in order to be marked for the programming part of this assignment, and the questions can be pretty vague (as in, not necessarily directly about your own code but may be the concepts in general). understand what you're doing and why you're doing it and you'll be fine for the assignment/interview, AND COMMENT YOUR CODE. Assignment 2 is extremely easy, its a written report on a security issue you select yourself, in addition to a Wi-Fi analysis of a shopping centre. you need to conduct the analysis yourself by physically travelling to a chosen location and analysing it through software (the analysis can be done in a group, although your report must be individual). everything you need to explain about your collected data is in the lectures. The MARS questions don't need to be answered correctly for the 5%, you just need to provide an answer so go to all your lectures and you'll get full marks.

the exam was 3 hours and 150 marks comprised of both multiple choice questions and around 30-40 short answer questions. if you attend the lectures and tutorials, there's nothing they can ask you that you'll have to really think about. i barely attended the lectures or tutorials and crammed the week before for this exam and got an HD pretty easily (i wouldn't recommend this), but that should give an indication of the difficulty of the exam and the content in general.

the only struggles you're likely to have with this unit are MARIE assembly programming, the rest is pretty easy. i highly recommend getting on top of it as soon as its taught, because you don't want to be learning it one week before assignment 1 is due as some of the questions require a pretty sophisticated understanding. if you've never done any programming before you'll probably find it pretty hard initially, but attend the tutorials, consultations and you'll breeze through MARIE and the unit in general.
    [/list]

Litigator

• Forum Regular
    • Respect: +3
    « Reply #348 on: December 19, 2016, 02:46:26 pm »
    +1
    Subject Code/Name: ATS1314 - Human Rights 1

Workload: 2x1 hour weekly lectures + 1hour weekly tutorial

Assessment: 70% internal marks (10x1% Weekly reading quizzes, 1x10% article analysis, 1x10% essay plan, 1x40% essay) and 30% exam

Recorded Lectures: Yes

Past exams available: Not needed, since exam questions are given.

Textbook Recommendation:  No textbook required except for reader, highly needed.

Lecturer(s): Robbie Arrell

Year & Semester of completion: Semester 1 2016

Rating: 3.5/5

Your Mark/Grade: 81 HD

Comments:

As someone who has a passion for business/numbers and objectivity, my first exposure to some form of philosophy was somewhat of a hard pill to swallow at first. Weeks are divided into topics that are rather basic yet informative, such as; Are human rights universal, womens right, cultural rights...

Arts students are described as pretty liberal and open minded and I can say that a select few are quite radical. Some students really dont give a shit while others nearly have a heart attack if they hear a 'politically incorrect' phrase or term. It's incredibly hard sometimes to have group conversations without offending someone. The week on 'Human Rights & Torture' was quite interesting. There seemed a large number of students that were oblivious to what governments do to keep their citizens safe. Some found it disturbing that terrorists were tortured for information, and one even exclaimed during group discussions that most detainees at Guantanamo Bay should be set free since they were not formally prosecuted by a court of law. However, these types of students are not the majority.

I went into arts units with the sole purpose of trying to achieve good marks. I achieved that, and I actually cant say much about the learning because i was focused on maximizing efficiency and marks.
    For example:
    Week 1-3 are topics for the first assigment
    Week 4-8 or (4-10) are topics for essays
    Week 9-12 or (11-12)  are the topics for the exam.

Which means, i only did the readings and looked at the lectures for Week 1, 6, 11, 12 and received a HD mark. The weekly online quizzes which were based on the readings were easy and you could flick through the readings looking for the key words and bang you got the answer you needed.

Honestly, you are gonna be taught a lot of topics that are all under the broad definition of Human Rights, some shit is interesting, some shit is boring. If you are planning to do an arts degree, most weekly topics convert into an entire unit in 2nd and 3rd year, and you can pick the ones you find interesting in these broad first year units.

Also, Robbie is good bloke. He engages well and provides alot of feedback for assigments.

Sometimes not getting what you want is a fantastic stroke of luck