Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:13:31 am

Author Topic: Indigenous Peoples: Recent Developments, Media and Discussion  (Read 3877 times)  Share 

caninesandy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Indigenous Peoples: Recent Developments, Media and Discussion
« on: October 28, 2016, 11:41:34 am »
+2
Hi everyone! :D

I noticed that there wasn't a thread for the Indigenous Peoples option and thought that the minute amount of us doing it might like to collaborate because it can be difficult to find media and other sources because so few people do it. That's my experience anyway :P

Does anyone have an tips for this option because I am finding it kind of difficult to write about as there are so many possibilities?  :o

Thank you and study hard!!  ;D We're almost there!!!!  ;)

Sincerely,
Caninesandy
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you."

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Indigenous Peoples: Recent Developments, Media and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 07:34:55 am »
+2
An absolutely fascinating article here about being Maori. What does it mean to be Maori? What are the complications for identity? This is a really good introduction to understanding how identity comes into Indigenous person's experiences in society and with the law.

Article by the Guardian here.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 07:55:16 pm »
+4
Indigenous leaders have rejected constitutional recognition, calling instead for a treaty commission and a voice in the Australian parliament in a landmark statement at Uluru.

It's probably worth knowing that Australia is the only Commonwealth country that doesn't have a treaty with its Indigenous communities.

I don't usually link to BuzzFeed, but I am today. The link is here.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 08:12:30 pm »
+2
Two in one day!
This article by the Guardian Australia comes well-timed as it is the anniversary of Sorry Day.

The recommendations of the Bringing Them Home report by the AHRC has been largely ignored. From the article:

"The history of stealing Indigenous children by white Australia is the responsibility of the nation. Full recognition of this history is also the responsibility of the nation. The brave women and men who told their stories to the inquiry were forced to relive harrowing and life-scarring experiences. Members of the stolen generations have occasionally commented that they would sometimes like to forget their suffering, that they would prefer not to have to yet again recount experiences that exacerbate the trauma they carry. But they also know that they cannot forget, not while white Australia enjoys the privilege of feigned amnesia and a totally inadequate sense of true and lasting justice.

Twenty years on from the release of the Bringing Them Home report it is long overdue that the burden of memory and the scales of justice shift to represent and speak on behalf of the victims of a national crime."

Written by Professor Tony Birch is a senior research fellow in the Moondani Balluk Academic Centre at Victoria University in Melbourne.

inescelic

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 01:39:41 am »
+3
Hello to anyone else who is doing IP's as an option (all 100 or so of you haha),

Here are a couple of great articles:
-http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/betty-harnum-indigenous-languages-act-1.3897121 -> more enforceability and commitment is needed by nation states to ensure protection of language rights
-https://www.sbs.com.au/news/nsw-govt-to-protect-aboriginal-languages -> NSW's bill to protect ATSI languages shows negotiation between government and ATSI community
2017 HSC:
English Advanced: 92 Mathematics: 91
Biology: 94 Legal Studies: 97 (13th in NSW) French Continuers: 85
Mathematics Extension 1: 42
Offering Tutoring in English Advanced, Biology and Legal Studies-> I can provide you with both the knowledge and the exam technique to ace your exams. I also offer very detailed and constructive feedback on your responses. -> Can meet up at libraries in the Sydney area for $30/hr -> PM me if interested.

Hello0there

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 03:16:51 pm »
Hey Everyone!
I'm not sure if this is the thread to do this but I can't find another one for Indigenous peoples.

So, the textbook my school has given us is unbelievably useless for this option. Can someone explain to me why self determination is important and the difficulty of Indigenous Peoples in acquiring self determination?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 06:57:27 pm »
+2
Hey Everyone!
I'm not sure if this is the thread to do this but I can't find another one for Indigenous peoples.

So, the textbook my school has given us is unbelievably useless for this option. Can someone explain to me why self determination is important and the difficulty of Indigenous Peoples in acquiring self determination?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You!

Hi!

It's totally fine posting the question here, but any Legal Studies-related questions should go in this thread here!

Ahaha I can definitely relate with the useless textbooks for Indigenous - it was a real struggle last year. Anyway, self-determination is important for IPs because many of them don't have the same rights as the "majority" population - governments may limit their human rights and stuff like that. UNDRIP states that IPs have the right to self-determination; i.e. they have the right to determine their political status and freely pursue their economic, social and cultural development.

As for why it's hard for IPs to acquire self-determination, think of it this way - imagine you don't have basic human rights and you can't fully participate in society. To guarantee these rights, you'd probably have to be a citizen of that country right? In terms of IPs, it's easier to be independent and call it a day because these rights can be guaranteed and enforced. Governments don't exactly want a country within a country so self-determination is kinda hard here. However, you can also argue the effective solution with the Inuits in Canada who have their own state and can participate in politics as well and pose that as a possible solution for issues of self-determination elsewhere.

The example my teacher gave for self-determination was the Uighurs in China, who are a Muslim minority. They live in an area which is rich in agricultural and mineral resources, so the government fears losing wealth in the province if the Uighurs were to separate from China and become autonomous. There have also been a few articles recently on The Economist about the Uighurs which might be worth a read - make sure your browser is on incognito to dodge the 3 articles a month limit! (works for SMH too)

Hope this helps!!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 06:59:22 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Hello0there

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 11:22:14 am »
Hi!

It's totally fine posting the question here, but any Legal Studies-related questions should go in this thread here!

Ahaha I can definitely relate with the useless textbooks for Indigenous - it was a real struggle last year. Anyway, self-determination is important for IPs because many of them don't have the same rights as the "majority" population - governments may limit their human rights and stuff like that. UNDRIP states that IPs have the right to self-determination; i.e. they have the right to determine their political status and freely pursue their economic, social and cultural development.

As for why it's hard for IPs to acquire self-determination, think of it this way - imagine you don't have basic human rights and you can't fully participate in society. To guarantee these rights, you'd probably have to be a citizen of that country right? In terms of IPs, it's easier to be independent and call it a day because these rights can be guaranteed and enforced. Governments don't exactly want a country within a country so self-determination is kinda hard here. However, you can also argue the effective solution with the Inuits in Canada who have their own state and can participate in politics as well and pose that as a possible solution for issues of self-determination elsewhere.

The example my teacher gave for self-determination was the Uighurs in China, who are a Muslim minority. They live in an area which is rich in agricultural and mineral resources, so the government fears losing wealth in the province if the Uighurs were to separate from China and become autonomous. There have also been a few articles recently on The Economist about the Uighurs which might be worth a read - make sure your browser is on incognito to dodge the 3 articles a month limit! (works for SMH too)

Hope this helps!!

Thank you so much!!
I really appreciate it.

Now just to figure out how I can do it in essay format ;)