Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 08:37:48 pm

Author Topic: How to study/ when to study for the end of year exam?  (Read 5068 times)  Share 

mynamejef2323

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How to study/ when to study for the end of year exam?
« on: August 17, 2016, 12:37:37 pm »
Hi all,

I haven't been doing that well in SACs, averaging C+s to B's close to all subjects. I want to really smash the exam, and hopefully get my desired ATAR of 80. Do I still have a chance with these poor sac marks, even if I do shape up in the exam and get high A's? I want to start studying very soon, as I feel like I can at least have another chance. When do I start studying, what do I do (i.e make all my notes, revise them, then do a crap tone of practice exams) and how long do I do it for? I have 5-6 weeks left of school, and I do not want to wait until the holidays to study. Should I do all my HW for my current subjects, then do say 1 hour of one subject then another hour on another subject? So essentially 2 hours of 2 subjects a night. I am stressing!

Thanks

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: How to study/ when to study for the end of year exam?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 01:02:01 pm »
+5
Hi all,

I haven't been doing that well in SACs, averaging C+s to B's close to all subjects. I want to really smash the exam, and hopefully get my desired ATAR of 80. Do I still have a chance with these poor sac marks, even if I do shape up in the exam and get high A's? I want to start studying very soon, as I feel like I can at least have another chance. When do I start studying, what do I do (i.e make all my notes, revise them, then do a crap tone of practice exams) and how long do I do it for? I have 5-6 weeks left of school, and I do not want to wait until the holidays to study. Should I do all my HW for my current subjects, then do say 1 hour of one subject then another hour on another subject? So essentially 2 hours of 2 subjects a night. I am stressing!

Thanks

Hey there! Welcome to ATAR Notes. :)

It's pretty difficult to say what sort of ATAR is possible/probable, because it's a bit of a complicated process; it doesn't really rely on your raw marks so much as your ranking within your cohort. You can read more about the effects of scaling and the like in this excellent thread if you're interested. To be honest, though, I wouldn't bother - it's not really essential knowledge at this stage.

In saying that, I don't think an ATAR of 80.00+ would be out of reach at this stage. What subjects are you doing?

Questions similar to this one are fairly common on these boards. Like, you'll get students coming in and be like "I've failed all of my SACs; if I get 100% on the exam, can I still get [whatever study score]?". I'm not saying that's what you're doing at all, but in those situations, the question has to be asked: why did you fail those SACs in the first place? In your situation, your results sound steady, which could be a launching pad to do really well in the exam. But, of course, it's unlikely that you'll get a high A on the exam (based on previous results) *if* nothing changes.

That's where your post is great, because it sounds as though you're really motivated to do well. So kudos for that, if nothing else. :) The other problem, though, is the questions that you've asked (the ones in the spoiler below) are pretty much impossible for anybody here to answer.

Spoiler
When do I start studying, what do I do (i.e make all my notes, revise them, then do a crap tone of practice exams) and how long do I do it for? I have 5-6 weeks left of school, and I do not want to wait until the holidays to study. Should I do all my HW for my current subjects, then do say 1 hour of one subject then another hour on another subject? So essentially 2 hours of 2 subjects a night.

I don't see a problem with starting to study now. How much are you studying at the moment? Why do you think you've been getting Bs and Cs on your SACs rather than the high A that you're looking for on the exam? Is it the amount you currently study? Your method? Something else that's been standing in the way? These are probably the questions that you need to ask yourself before you can realistically go about working out the best route from here.

Anecdotally, there are mixed reviews about notes (and it also depends a bit on the particular subject). Like, I found writing all of my notes and then making summaries of those notes super useful. For others, this isn't so much the case. Some people do 50 practice exams; others do 2 and net the same result. It's really dependent on you and how you best learn.

*Generally*, my advice would be to get out a good set of notes, and then just work through practice exams until you feel comfortable (however many that may be). If you're feeling short of time or really anxious about it all, maybe you could start doing practice exams now, but open-book and not time-bound. That way, you can sort of see what you still need to work on, and modify your notes at the same time. I've actually found this a pretty good revision technique. Work closely with your teacher(s) if possible.

Final advice would be not to overdo yourself. You can't change what's happened in the past, and you don't want to burn out between now and your exams. Even if you're super motivated to do well, it's counterproductive to forfeit sleep, eating well etc. for the sake of studying. In the end, it won't be beneficial. If you're stressed, make sure to take appropriate breaks and *please* speak with somebody (friends, teachers, families, whoever) if you're feeling overwhelmed.

Sorry about the vague nature of this post, but the take-home message is that ultimately, it's up to you. Nobody here can tell you how long to study for, or what subjects to study, or things like that. I can recommend to-do lists for organisation, though haha.

All the very best with your revision. :)

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't intend for this to be so long. *Typical*

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

mynamejef2323

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 12:42:20 pm »
I am doing Geography, Bus Man, Methods, English and Religion and Society. ATAR Calc seems to be giving me low 70s :(

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 12:54:55 pm »
I am doing Geography, Bus Man, Methods, English and Religion and Society. ATAR Calc seems to be giving me low 70s :(

ATAR Calc tends to be a fairly reliable converter of study scores to ATAR, but how are you determining your study scores in the first place? This can be just as difficult as predicting your ATAR. Regardless, I wouldn't spend too long on ATAR Calc if at all possible, haha.

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 04:51:53 pm »
+2
ATARcalc tends to be a fairly reliable converter of study scores to ATAR

Ofc, its accuracy is ultimately determined by how realistic you are.

One of my friends was adamant for all of last year that he was looking at a < 80 ATAR (lel he even considered dropping out at one point) and he ended up with a hella crazy 99.crazy and a 50SS in English (don't ask me how he managed to underestimate himself that badly, I still have no idea).

tl;dr: Sometimes it's a bit hard to accurately predict how well you'll do until you get that text so don't spend too much time on the ATARcalc.

ayesha2011t

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 05:18:24 pm »

If you're stressed, make sure to take appropriate breaks and *please* speak with somebody (friends, teachers, families, whoever) if you're feeling overwhelmed.

Hey joseph41, this is a bit random. But, what do I do when I get stressed in an exam/sac? Recently, in one of my sacs I became so stressed that I couldn't understand the question and couldn't do it from the extreme time shortage, my heart was literally beating faster than usain bolt running. I could not think properly or calm myself down. So, if u have any tips or advice you would like to share regarding this, would be great! It would be really beneficial for everyone, I think...especially me :')

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 05:20:25 pm »
Hey joseph41, this is a bit random. But, what do I do when I get stressed in an exam/sac? Recently, in one of my sacs I became so stressed that I couldn't understand the question and couldn't do it from the extreme time shortage, my heart was literally beating faster than usain bolt running. I could not think properly or calm myself down. So, if u have any tips or advice you would like to share regarding this, would be great! It would be really beneficial for everyone, I think...especially me :')

Hey a.t!

I'm about to go out for dumplings (yay!), but if I don't respond to this properly in the next day or two, please remind me (because I intend to, but I may forget). :)

EDIT: This is actually a really important point, so thanks for asking.

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 05:20:45 pm »
-snip-
this has been me in every assessment i've had xD *sorry for hijack*
i see the doctor sometimes and they give good advice that seems to help :)
Uni and life

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 09:12:58 pm »

Hi a.t. Thanks for sharing this. I am in a very similar position to you and would also really appreciate some advice on this (especially before exam time).
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 10:36:36 am »
+4

this has been me in every assessment i've had xD *sorry for hijack*
i see the doctor sometimes and they give good advice that seems to help :)

Hi a.t. Thanks for sharing this. I am in a very similar position to you and would also really appreciate some advice on this (especially before exam time).

Thanks for sharing, all. As I said above, I think that this is a really important point to consider. I'll preface this whole post with the fact that I'm not an expert on this. Considering its subjectivity, I think it would be pretty unusual for anybody to consider themselves an 'expert' in the area. Regardless, I do have some thoughts and experiences that may (or may not) be of use. :)

My view is that the first thing you should do is try to work out why this is happening. Like, is it due to a lack of preparation? Is it the (real or perceived) pressure? Or is there an underlying issue that needs to be addressed?

Is it due to a lack of preparation?

I honestly think that for many people, it's not so much physically doing the exam that makes them anxious - it's more the feeling of not knowing anything. Of imminent failure. I used to be like that some years ago. Like, I'd sort of cruise through the year, because I didn't really feel as though I needed to study anything in particular; then the exam would come, and I'd realise that I didn't know as much as I thought I did. I'm really glad that that happened in my younger years, in hindsight, because it changed my study techniques and, I guess, philosophy toward education.

From the start of Year 11, I went into every single exam knowing that I'd done my absolute best in terms of preparation. I was confident that I could complete the exam to a high level, and turn in something of which I would be proud. Naturally, that made the exam itself so much easier to get through. I genuinely enjoyed every single one of my 3/4 exams. It wasn't like a "oh shit, my exam is in three days" sort of thing, but a "sweet, only three more days until I can smash this exam" sort of thing.

That's easier said than done, of course. It takes hard work and diligence to get to that level where you feel you're going to 'beat' the exam regardless. But I think it's a really good place to aim for, and obviously helps with exam nerves and the like. So that could be one thing - preparation - to work on in order to help with your mental state whilst actually sitting the exam.

Side note: I think routine is good for this whole process. For my uni exams, say, I follow the same routine every time (in terms of when I get to the venue, what I do the morning of the exam, who I communicate with, and so on). It sort of makes the whole thing a bit more familiar and comfortable.

Is it the (real or perceived) pressure?

But it would be ignorant of me just to say "you know, just prepare well, and then it'll all be sweet". Because that's just not the case. Sometimes, no matter how much you prepare, the moment of the exam will just get to you. And that's normal. And common.

In those situations, I have a couple of strategies. The first one is pretty simple. Every exam, I make sure to take in a bottle of water. When I start to freeze or have a mind blank, I take a sip. It's a really basic thing, but it generally helps to get my mind back on track. Like, firstly, the water is obviously useful in terms of hydration. But it's also good insofar as it breaks your current thought process. Have you ever had that experience where it feels as though you just sort of go around in circles in your head? It could be like "I should do question 3, but oh shit I don't know question 2 - how about question 5? I should do question 3, but oh shit I don't know question 2" and so on. I've found that simply drinking some water is good in these situations.

I've spoken about mindfulness before on these forums, but in this situation, it seems super pertinent. You say you get a really fast heart beat. That's a natural reaction - part of the fight/flight/freeze response. It becomes counter-productive when it's too intense, though, as it sounds it may be in your situation. The cool thing is, though, you can literally focus on slowing down your heart beat. That's why people are like "just take a few deep breaths". It's weird, anxiety; I've personally found that I can control it (to a degree) by trying to regulate my physical responses.

If you feel your heart racing, just take twenty seconds. Close your eyes, sit back in your chair, feel your feet on the floor. Try to focus on nothing but your breath - just notice it. Try not to be judgmental. Just notice what's happening. Take a minute if you feel you need it - take five if necessary. Take comfort knowing that your heart will go back to normal soon; it's a temporary (and natural) response. And that's okay. Let it pass.

Look outside. Enjoy the natural light.

I can personally vouch for this, because I do it. Even when I'm writing essays (like, not in exam conditions), it's really useful. And it's great for non-academic stuff, too, but I digress. If you're interested, I recommend downloading a mindfulness app (I use Smiling Mind, but they're all pretty similar). It can take you through a 'body scan'. It takes like eight minutes. Seriously, it'll be the best eight minute investment of all time.

In exams, you can make a ten second investment. Or a two minute investment. It'll get you back on track, I promise.

Or is there something else?

It's worth considering, if you try that and none of it works, speaking with your GP or being referred to a psychologist. There may be an underlying cause. If that's the case, you certainly won't regret asking.

All the best - let me know if none of that was helpful, and I can try to elaborate a little. :) And like I say, I'm not an expert, so I look forward to others' opinions on the matter.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:48:54 am by Joseph41 »

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 03:34:38 pm »
+2
If you're interested, I recommend downloading a mindfulness app (I use Smiling Mind, but they're all pretty similar). It can take you through a 'body scan'. It takes like eight minutes. Seriously, it'll be the best eight minute investment of all time.

YES Smiling Mind is GREAT, 115% recommend  :)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 10:15:16 pm »
+1
Hi Joseph,

Thanks for shedding some light on this issue. It has really given me some confidence as to how I can approach exams in the next coming months. I especially found this idea below very encouraging!  :)

From the start of Year 11, I went into every single exam knowing that I'd done my absolute best in terms of preparation. I was confident that I could complete the exam to a high level, and turn in something of which I would be proud. Naturally, that made the exam itself so much easier to get through. I genuinely enjoyed every single one of my 3/4 exams. It wasn't like a "oh shit, my exam is in three days" sort of thing, but a "sweet, only three more days until I can smash this exam" sort of thing.

BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale