Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 11:38:31 pm

Author Topic: Texts and traditions 2016  (Read 11464 times)  Share 

ayesha2011t

Texts and traditions 2016
« on: June 08, 2016, 10:03:27 pm »
+3
Hi TTers,

Wanted to create this topic so we can all just talk about texts and traditions, it's so underrepresented and hence is hard to acquire some useful insight from other pupils.
So feel free to ask questions or answer them, or tbh just complain!

Soo, how is everyone going with their sacs? I had one today, and let's just say it did not go well :((
We got an hour to complete an exegesis, and 2 extended responses, is that appropriate time? bc I felt like it was so less and therefore didn't complete my last task.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
Re: Texts and traditions 2016
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 08:30:10 am »
Hey there!

Awesome to see a T&Ter round the place!

I'm always here and more than happy to answer questions or give a little feedback, people, so don't be scared to post in case no one answers :P  We need everyone to join in to rock it over the other humanities subjects ;)

About that SAC.   Yeah, that does sound real tough, but it's actually not too far off what the exam will be like :/  In the exam you get ~40 min for an exegesis and ~13 min for each extended response, which adds up to 1hr 6min for both (and let me tell you, it's a real struggle to get that done if you know your content in depth :P).  It just takes a lot of practice of writing super fast, you'll get there!
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

ayesha2011t

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 03:54:01 pm »
+1

Hey there!

Awesome to see a T&Ter round the place!

I'm always here and more than happy to answer questions or give a little feedback, people, so don't be scared to post in case no one answers :P  We need everyone to join in to rock it over the other humanities subjects ;)

About that SAC.   Yeah, that does sound real tough, but it's actually not too far off what the exam will be like :/  In the exam you get ~40 min for an exegesis and ~13 min for each extended response, which adds up to 1hr 6min for both (and let me tell you, it's a real struggle to get that done if you know your content in depth :P).  It just takes a lot of practice of writing super fast, you'll get there!

Thanks for replying Heidiii! Hope other TTers join this discussion!!

Also, I wanted to ask, if one wants a ss between 38-43? What should my sac average be?

Anddd how do I memorise the information or verse numbers? Struggling a lot with that tbh :((

zulaltekeli

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: ilim college
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 09:18:40 am »
The same thing happens to me too in my last sac we had to answer one extended response question, one essay and one exegesis in about 1hr and 30 mins or something. I fell like they expect to much for the amount of time they give.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 10:11:50 am »
+1
Thanks for replying Heidiii! Hope other TTers join this discussion!!

Absolutely.  If you're lurking reading this, anyone - please join in!  You have only to gain if you do ;)

Also, I wanted to ask, if one wants a ss between 38-43? What should my sac average be?

I'm not really sure - just aim for being at the top of your class as much as possible, and do your best, really - ultimately it's your exam performance that means the most, and I've seen people doing really well in SACs get smashed by the exam and getting far lower than they deserve (and the other way round).

Anddd how do I memorise the information or verse numbers? Struggling a lot with that tbh :((

Yeah, there's a lot of content to learn in this subject, and it's hard.

Memory tips:
- Teach them to someone else - a friend, the mirror, a teddy bear, w/e
- Keep using them and writing about them, and if you write closed-book, remember to go afterwards and fill in the gaps of content or verses you couldn't remember but could have used
- Anki
- More fun ways of learning content: sing it to tunes you know, dramatically declaim it or say in other people's voices, draw it, flow-charts, record it and listen to it
- Test yourself often (create questions about the content, have a daily quiz?)
- Sticky notes and posters with verses and facts in your bathroom and on the walls... surround yourself in it

The same thing happens to me too in my last sac we had to answer one extended response question, one essay and one exegesis in about 1hr and 30 mins or something. I fell like they expect to much for the amount of time they give.

Welcome on board, it's good to see you zulaltekeli! :)

Yeah, that's the perennial curse of T&T :(  It always killed me, for sure. 

Timing tips
- Don't spent time thinking how to phrase things, like English - they don't mind if it's a bit ugly
- PRACTICE heaps and heaps of past questions/exegeses, timed
- Avoid fluff and repetition - it takes practice to learn to write concisely; keep seeking feedback on this and trying to improve next time
- Know your concrete facts well, helps you to put them down quickly
- Get really familiar with nice-sounding sentences on commonly repeated topics (i.e. nearly memorise them by keeping using them); they start flowing off your fingers without much thought, which is really much faster
- Full steam ahead - write as fast as is humanly possible in the time :P

ayesha2011t

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 11:47:48 am »

Absolutely.  If you're lurking reading this, anyone - please join in!  You have only to gain if you do ;)

I'm not really sure - just aim for being at the top of your class as much as possible, and do your best, really - ultimately it's your exam performance that means the most, and I've seen people doing really well in SACs get smashed by the exam and getting far lower than they deserve (and the other way round).

Yeah, there's a lot of content to learn in this subject, and it's hard.

Memory tips:
- Teach them to someone else - a friend, the mirror, a teddy bear, w/e
- Keep using them and writing about them, and if you write closed-book, remember to go afterwards and fill in the gaps of content or verses you couldn't remember but could have used
- Anki
- More fun ways of learning content: sing it to tunes you know, dramatically declaim it or say in other people's voices, draw it, flow-charts, record it and listen to it
- Test yourself often (create questions about the content, have a daily quiz?)
- Sticky notes and posters with verses and facts in your bathroom and on the walls... surround yourself in it

Welcome on board, it's good to see you zulaltekeli! :)

Yeah, that's the perennial curse of T&T :(  It always killed me, for sure. 

Timing tips
- Don't spent time thinking how to phrase things, like English - they don't mind if it's a bit ugly
- PRACTICE heaps and heaps of past questions/exegeses, timed
- Avoid fluff and repetition - it takes practice to learn to write concisely; keep seeking feedback on this and trying to improve next time
- Know your concrete facts well, helps you to put them down quickly
- Get really familiar with nice-sounding sentences on commonly repeated topics (i.e. nearly memorise them by keeping using them); they start flowing off your fingers without much thought, which is really much faster
- Full steam ahead - write as fast as is humanly possible in the time :P
Thanks for the tips heidiii!

ayesha2011t

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 04:30:23 pm »
Have my Last sac for unit 3 tomorrow!
Did everyone finish unit 3? How did it go??

val265

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 04:20:18 pm »
Hi this a silly question but if they say "evangelists" in the practice exams does that just mean to refer to the commentators?

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 07:59:38 pm »
Hi this a silly question but if they say "evangelists" in the practice exams does that just mean to refer to the commentators?

Welcome!  Nothing's a silly question round here :)

In the case of Luke or John, 'Evangelist' is referring to 'the author', rather than commentators - can you see how that fits in those questions?

kirstyfealy

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 11:07:17 pm »
Is anyone else freaking out about how we have to do an exegesis in 40minutes or so??

ayesha2011t

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 10:33:12 pm »

Is anyone else freaking out about how we have to do an exegesis in 40minutes or so??

Our teacher wants us to do it in 30 mins

val265

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 05:24:07 pm »
I am freaking out too! We will have to keep to the point and write fast and detailed

ayesha2011t

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 10:47:35 am »
Hey guys!! Anyone coming to the students night from vattt?? Heard it's really beneficial to go

Btw guys!! Does anyone here listen to their texts? And if so, does it help u remember/memorise the verses? Or just in general, help ur studies?

Moderator action: Double post merged
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 05:27:58 pm by Aaron »

ayesha2011t

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 09:32:16 pm »
Is anyone here actually trying to practice for q4b, or is it just useless to even try??

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 12:06:37 pm »
Btw guys!! Does anyone here listen to their texts? And if so, does it help u remember/memorise the verses? Or just in general, help ur studies?

I did, and I found it really helpful for remembering things!  A mixture between reading and listening really helped me get a grip on the text and you just sit and can listen to it in 1-2 sittings for a relaxed evening or two of study, and get a feel for the whole book :)

Is anyone here actually trying to practice for q4b, or is it just useless to even try??

Personally I reckon it's useless, it requires a lot more study that you don't need for anything else in the course (so might as well skip) and because there are four other options you still have some leeway if they throw you a curveball :)  Efficiency aka laziness ftw ;)