Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:28:51 pm

Author Topic: Plane Geometry in 2 Unit and Extension One  (Read 11773 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Plane Geometry in 2 Unit and Extension One
« on: June 24, 2015, 09:06:34 am »
+6
Hello once again everybody, time once again for another guide to get you all set for Trials and HSC! This one is going to cover plane geometry including the basic formulae, and questions on locus. I'll also do a run down of parametric equations for Extension students.

Remember to register for an account and ask any questions you have below! Also, be sure to take advantage of the notes for 2/3 Unit , which go into fantastic detail and will give you that bit of extra assistance and revision, if you need it  ;D

Okay, so plane geometry. Depending on which level of mathematics you did in Year 9-10, you almost definitely would have seen the formulas for distance, midpoint, and gradient:

These actually prove more important than you may think! They pop up a lot. In 2 unit we were introduced to a few more, which pop up here:

The first part requires the use of the two point formula (at least that is the easiest way):

The second part requires use of the perpendicular distance formula:

And the third combines this result with the distance formula to find the area of the triangle.

Questions like this involving shapes, particularly triangles, parallelograms, or kites, are common. There is a lot of room to make a mistake, but the questions are designed so that your answer should, in 99% of cases, be rational . In the question above, the root 5 cancels with itself in the final part. Look for this in your exam, if you get an irrational answer, check it, because it could mean you have made an error. This type of question has appeared in almost every HSC and CSSA Trial exam in the past five years, so make sure you are ready for it.

Another question common in the multiple choice is a question asking for the angle made with the x axis. This is a simple formula linking angle with gradient, sub and go:

Extension students have one more formula, a division in given ratios formula:

Spoiler

The point dividing a given interval in the ratio m:n is given by:

This is likely to be in your multiple choice. Remember, if the division is EXTERNAL, simply make either m or n negative, and it works in exactly the same manner. Again, sub and go, if you know the formula this won't give you any trouble.

Of course, you'll also have to use the number plane for graphing. The calculus guides section(s) covers the process I recommend for such questions. But some other, more generic pointers for graphing:

• Make sure you label your axes, or this will cost you a mark (a lot of the time). The same is true for lines, label the equations!
  • Use a ruler to make sure it is neat, or otherwise, take your time! If your lines are messy and all over the place the marker won't be happy
  • Think about your scale before you draw, otherwise your graph may not be clear.
  • Draw asymptotes clearly with a dotted line and a sharp pencil, and LABEL THEM!

For 2 unit, the last thing you really have to worry about on the number plane is locus. A locus is the path taken by a point which obeys a given condition . You should be familiar with at least these two common loci:

• The locus of a point which remains a set distance from another point is a circle.
  • The locus of a point which remains equidistant from a line and a point is a parabola.

You study that second one in length. The point is called the focus , and the line is called the directrix . A parabola can be defined using these geometric entities using the formula:

The variable 'a' is the focal length. The focus is located 'a' units above the vertex, so in the simplest case, has coordinates (0,a). The directrix is a horizontal line located 'a' units below the vertex, and has the equation y=-a. Of course, these coordinates and equations change slightly as the position of the parabola changes, according to the more general formula:

where (a,b) is the vertex of the parabola.

Chords are intervals from one arm of the parabola to the other. A focal chord is a chord which passes through the focus.

2 Unit students are mostly given students concerning interpretation of these formulae.

Example: A parabola has focus (5,0) and a directrix x=1. What is the equation of the parabola.

You should practice looking at questions like these and interpreting the information. The first thing you should notice, the directrix is in terms of x (i.e., it is vertical, not horizontal). This means the parabola is sideways! This is okay, we now just look at the formulas the 'opposite' way:

We are given the focus and the directrix, not the vertex. To find it, remember this: The vertex of a parabola is halfway between its directrix and its focus. Halfway between x coordinate 5 and x coordinate 1, is three, so the vertex has coordinates (3, 0). The focal length is half of this difference, 2.

So the equation is:

Interestingly, my 2 Unit HSC paper had zero questions on locus. It is a smaller part of the course, but given that it didn't appear in 2014, expect it in 2015!

Extension students go into a lot more depth here, and it is linked to parametric representation of curves.

Spoiler

Parametric representation of parabolas in the 3U course use the following parametric equations:

Questions in extension exams usually give you two coordinates on the parabola with some other details, and ask you to prove various geometric facts or reach certain conclusions. There are many formulas linking these points you can remember, for gradient, midpoint etc, but I find it is much easier to just derive them in the exam. For example, for gradient:

The only thing I suggest you remember is if PQ is a focal chord! This is a result you are allowed to quote and may save you some work in the exam.

There are literally unlimited things they could ask, but lets walk through one which also utilises interval division:

For the first part, we use the interval division formula to get the coordinates of Q. Look at the answers to guide which point should be considered first, and which second. I'll skip the algebra:

Expressing the gradient of OQ is a snap:

This next bit threw me for a loop for longer than I'd like when I sat this paper last year. But it highlights an important tip, never forget the basics . The slope OQ is just the y coordinate of q over the x coordinate of q. Therefore, . This is sort of strange, but think about it, the gradient is t, and the rise on run is just whatever the y coordinate of Q is, divided by the x coordinate. Hence the relationship above. Therefore, and I almost didn't even think to do this, we substitute this expression in the place of t in the x or y coordinate for Q found in part (i). Probably better to see it, and the x coordinate is easier:

This is a WEIRD proof, but be prepared for things similar to this (that process utilised completing the square, in case it is unclear). I absolutely advise leaving these questions till last unless you get them right off the bat, they are noodle scratchers. Look where you are heading, and the information you have. How can you bring it all together? Just relax and the answer will come.

That's it for plane geometry! Those proofs can be strange, have one you want me to work through? Register for an account and post it below! Also, be sure to take advantage of the notes for 2/3 Unit , which are awesome for extra revision! ;D

A GUIDE BY JAMON WINDEYER
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 10:23:09 am by jamonwindeyer »

LC14199

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Red Bend Catholic College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Plane Geometry in 2 Unit and Extension One
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 10:18:26 pm »
Quick question, the link at the bottom of the post talks about 2/3 unit notes, but yet when clicked, that link takes you to a list of articles for a variety of topics. I assume this is unintended behaviour, and can it be fixed? :)

Cheers,
LC

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 12:30:12 am »
Quick question, the link at the bottom of the post talks about 2/3 unit notes, but yet when clicked, that link takes you to a list of articles for a variety of topics. I assume this is unintended behaviour, and can it be fixed? :)

Cheers,
LC

Indeed it is unintended, change of site layout, it is now fixed  :D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 07:54:20 am »
Wait... I thought plane geometry was supposed to refer to Euclidean geometry. This seems to be focused on both coordinate geometry and locus?

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
  • MAXIMISE your marks by MINIMISING your errors
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 10:22:32 am »
Wait... I thought plane geometry was supposed to refer to Euclidean geometry. This seems to be focused on both coordinate geometry and locus?

I reckon when Jamon mentioned "plane geometry" he was referring to Cartesian plane
Mathematics: 96
Maths Extension 2: 93
Maths Extension 1: 97
English Advanced: 92
Physics: 95
Chemistry: 92
Engineering Studies: 90
Studies of Religion I: 98

2017 ATAR: 99.70
University of Sydney Civil Engineering and Commerce
University of Sydney Faculty of Civil Engineering Scholar
Student Representatives Council Student Housing Officer
City of Sydney Council Sydney Ambassador
University of Sydney Business School Student Mentor
Entrepreneur, Company of Year Junior Achievements Australia

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 10:43:25 am »
I reckon when Jamon mentioned "plane geometry" he was referring to Cartesian plane

Hm.

In actuality, the Cartesian plane is just the name which we give to the coordinate system consisting of two components. Planes in are described using a vector format.

Plane geometry, typically referring to any 2D space, would probably relate more closely to the focus of Euclid's work.

It's not exactly crucial, this statement, however the syllabus refers to Euclidean geometry as "plane geometry".

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 12:07:05 pm »
Hm.

In actuality, the Cartesian plane is just the name which we give to the coordinate system consisting of two components. Planes in are described using a vector format.

Plane geometry, typically referring to any 2D space, would probably relate more closely to the focus of Euclid's work.

It's not exactly crucial, this statement, however the syllabus refers to Euclidean geometry as "plane geometry".

I needed somewhere to stick Locus, it wasn't worth a guide by itself, so it naturally makes sense to group the geometrical principles of locus with the geometrical principles of coordinate geometry. Both operate within the cartesian plane, hence the name. I suppose it's 'colloquialisation' for the purposes of simplicity  :D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 04:51:39 pm »
I needed somewhere to stick Locus, it wasn't worth a guide by itself, so it naturally makes sense to group the geometrical principles of locus with the geometrical principles of coordinate geometry. Both operate within the cartesian plane, hence the name. I suppose it's 'colloquialisation' for the purposes of simplicity  :D

True. Most of the time for guides at least locus isn't of really any value on it's own.

But you'd be surprised though - because the focus (hahaha) of the locus topic is so oriented off the parabola, it typically gets placed under quadratics! Of course, all of that PS=PM stuff that proceeds this stuff means that your choice to place it here is still perfectly justified :)

That aside, admittedly yes this is me being pedantic so you don't have to worry about it, but personally I would've went off the syllabus here (and quite a few textbooks) with how I named my guides, topic wise. I'm still not too sure if the Cartesian plane is exactly the best basis, as like I said it's just the set of all ordered pairs of points (x,y) with no third component!

WLalex

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 10:16:57 am »
For part (ii) is the gradient not t??

because its y/x when makes the t^2 on top?
"You don't want to look back and know you could have done better"

2016: Advanced English, Mathematics , Extension Maths, Chemistry, SOR II, PDHPE

ATAR: 97.70

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 10:23:45 am »
For part (ii) is the gradient not t??

because its y/x when makes the t^2 on top?

I don't know how this got missed for a year and a half!! Legend mate, thanks heaps, I'll make those fixes  8)

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 09:06:43 pm »
Hi I as wondering if I could get help breaking down and understanding these key points for the wace yr 11 syllabus

Unit 1
Topic 1.1: Functions and graphs (22 hours)

Lines and linear relationships
1.determine the coordinates of the mid-point between two points     
http://media.virtualnerd.com/tutorials/Alg1_10_2_13/assets/Alg1_10_2_13_D_01_11.png

2.*determine an end-point given the other end-point and the mid-point

3.*examine examples of direct proportion and linearly related variables

4.recognise features of the graph of y=mx+c, including its linear nature, its intercepts and its slope or gradient
•m = gradient/slope
•c = intercept
•sub y = o to get x intercepts
•sub x = 0 to get y intercepts

5.determine the equation of a straight line given sufficient information; including parallel and perpendicular lines
General form: y = mx + c
•perpendicular ( product of gradients ) = -1
•parallel = gradients are equal to each other (the same)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 09:09:44 pm by anotherworld2b »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 11:45:50 pm »
Hi I as wondering if I could get help breaking down and understanding these key points for the wace yr 11 syllabus

Unit 1
Topic 1.1: Functions and graphs (22 hours)

Lines and linear relationships
1.determine the coordinates of the mid-point between two points     
http://media.virtualnerd.com/tutorials/Alg1_10_2_13/assets/Alg1_10_2_13_D_01_11.png

2.*determine an end-point given the other end-point and the mid-point

3.*examine examples of direct proportion and linearly related variables

4.recognise features of the graph of y=mx+c, including its linear nature, its intercepts and its slope or gradient
•m = gradient/slope
•c = intercept
•sub y = o to get x intercepts
•sub x = 0 to get y intercepts

5.determine the equation of a straight line given sufficient information; including parallel and perpendicular lines
General form: y = mx + c
•perpendicular ( product of gradients ) = -1
•parallel = gradients are equal to each other (the same)

1 and 2 rely on various applications of the midpoint formula:

You need to be familiar with how to use this formula given all of \(x_1, y_1, x_2, y_2\), or the midpoint coordinates, or some combination of these. It is all based on this formula though.

It seems like 3 is just based on all relationships of the form \(y=mx+b\). Direct proportion means that \(y=mx\); the value of y is directly proportional to the value of x. If x doubles, y doubles, and so on. 4 is simply analysing the characteristics of the gradient intercept form - You've already listed them all in your post!

Then number 5 is just lots of practice, but all the information you need you have already provided :)

Really, there's not much we'll be able to suggest about any syllabus dot points for Math. Beyond some bits and bobs, you need to do questions to understand it fully! I'd recommend having a crack at stuff from your textbook ;D