Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 11:09:30 am

Author Topic: How to Write an Area of Study Essay  (Read 90503 times)

p2sang

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: How to Write an Area of Study Essay
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2016, 09:11:35 pm »
Im struggled in trying to figure out what the question is asking as well as which part of the syllabus need to be included in my essay ... :(
Is there anyway that allows me to quickly understand the question.
I'm doing ESL...
Also I still don't get on how to write a good thesis...
For example,

"An individual's discovery shapes the way they understand themselves and the world around them"

Anyone can help?
I'll be really appreciated
Thanks. :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 09:13:23 pm by p2sang »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2016, 08:29:58 am »
Im struggled in trying to figure out what the question is asking as well as which part of the syllabus need to be included in my essay ... :(
Is there anyway that allows me to quickly understand the question.
I'm doing ESL...
Also I still don't get on how to write a good thesis...
For example,

"An individual's discovery shapes the way they understand themselves and the world around them"

Anyone can help?
I'll be really appreciated
Thanks. :)

Hey! So when you look at a question, immediately identify the subject noun, the verb (cause, trigger, expect, entertain) and then the type of discovery that it specifies: unexpected, planned, meaningful, transformative, etc.

So with these three things down pat, you can string together a few ideas about what you need to talk about! That thesis statement is great, it's pretty well flawless! Just be ready to bring up a new concept statement on the spot to support that one, based off what the essay question asks of you!
Number one tip for now: Know the discovery rubric as best as you possibly can - know what all the words mean and how they work together. This will help you be able to write on the spot, but it'll also help you to use great terminology!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Emerald99

« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2016, 11:51:25 pm »
Hi me again :P I meant Integrated between texts? What's the difference between integrated between texts and integrated between ideas? wouldnt you integrate the texts based on their similar or opposing ideas?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2016, 11:03:52 am »
Hi me again :P I meant Integrated between texts? What's the difference between integrated between texts and integrated between ideas? wouldnt you integrate the texts based on their similar or opposing ideas?

Usually yes!

Some people do a structure like this:
Paragraph 1: prescribed text and related - one idea
Paragraph 2: prescribed text and related - one idea
Paragraph 3: prescribed text and related - one idea

Whereas some people do
paragraph one - prescribed text
paragraph two - related text
paragraph three - prescribed text
paragraph four - related text
And then they are likely to link the ideas, even though the texts are in different paragraphs. So it's more about a structural thing, because you should always be linking ideas :)

Emerald99

« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2016, 11:25:36 pm »
Thank you! Also there was a question asking composer's portray the process of discovery through the texts forms and features , how is this shown in prescribed+related? By form and features does it mean the structure of the text and the techniques? For a play what would be the structure ?

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2016, 10:37:47 am »
Thank you! Also there was a question asking composer's portray the process of discovery through the texts forms and features , how is this shown in prescribed+related? By form and features does it mean the structure of the text and the techniques? For a play what would be the structure ?

Yep you're right, form and features = structure and techniques. :)

For a play you could talk about the structure of the acts/scenes. Maybe there is a cyclic nature to the way the acts are set out? Maybe there's a prologue? Epilogue? Try and think about how the structure adds another layer of meaning to the play   ;D
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2016, 11:38:09 am »
+1

Just adding to Sarah's comment, because she's spot on. But I want to put it out there that sooooo often we underestimate the importance of form! It's really important that you give a serious amount of focus to form, and not just content.

Emerald99

« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2016, 09:46:09 pm »
Thanks guys! I was also wondering do we have to mention the impact of the discovery on us, even if the question doesn't ask us to? And if have to do we say this discovery impacted me by causing me to revaluate my perspective or something? Are you allowed to say "me," b/c isn't that informal?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2016, 10:22:07 pm »
Thanks guys! I was also wondering do we have to mention the impact of the discovery on us, even if the question doesn't ask us to? And if have to do we say this discovery impacted me by causing me to revaluate my perspective or something? Are you allowed to say "me," b/c isn't that informal?

Hey Emerald! So you can use that sort of statement, but you just say "impact on the responder" in general, to maintain formality :) just take what you'd say about yourself and apply it to the audience in general! :) as a rule of thumb, never use first person in essays :)

Emerald99

« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2016, 09:41:07 pm »
Thanks Jamon:) But do we lose marks if we don't mention the impact of the discovery on the audience?

Nicki

• Trailblazer
  • hello
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2016, 09:50:51 pm »
hey!

i know this is a silly question but i want to ask it anyway haha
what are people predicting the essay question for discovery will be in 2016? i get the rubric is massive so it could literally be anything
i personally feel it will be something to do with ''new understandings'' or ''renewed perspectives'' just based off the fact that many trial papers have this (which isn't necessarily an indicator but maybe thats what teachers or the people who make trial papers think) and also because we are only the second year doing this area of study so they choose something more broad or simpler?
i was just wondering what other people were predicting because i'm really worried it will be something that doesn't fit my text or selection of techniques at all haha
HSC 2016 Graduate
Subjects:
English Standard, Mathematics, Business Studies, Legal Studies, Economics, Community and Family Studies

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2016, 11:13:36 pm »
Thanks Jamon:) But do we lose marks if we don't mention the impact of the discovery on the audience?

Nope! Not unless it is specified in the essay question, which I doubt would happen, especially in the second year of discovery being examined. I didn't mention the audience except very vaguely in one point. It didn't hurt my mark :)

hey!

i know this is a silly question but i want to ask it anyway haha
what are people predicting the essay question for discovery will be in 2016? i get the rubric is massive so it could literally be anything
i personally feel it will be something to do with ''new understandings'' or ''renewed perspectives'' just based off the fact that many trial papers have this (which isn't necessarily an indicator but maybe thats what teachers or the people who make trial papers think) and also because we are only the second year doing this area of study so they choose something more broad or simpler?
i was just wondering what other people were predicting because i'm really worried it will be something that doesn't fit my text or selection of techniques at all haha

Honestly, I'd love to predict it or at least have a crack at it! But, because there is only one year of past papers, it's hardly as though we could look at trends and have a guess. If I took the most wild guess in the world, I'd go for the transformative nature of discovery - and that purely comes from me thinking it would be a great question for most texts. I have no idea what the question may be - so don't take this as prophetic! The rubric is created with the intention of being broad, and the texts are chosen in a way that they relate to several aspects of the rubric, so my gut feeling is not supported by anything lol! And to prove how far off I am...I thought the 2015 paper would be about the transformative nature of discovery too ;) It wasn't! lol.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2016, 11:19:13 pm »
+1

No worries! I want to extend on Elyse's answer. So the following is from the marking guidelines for Section 3:

Explores skilfully how the perspective ‘that the process of discovery involves uncovering what is hidden and reconsidering what is known’ is represented in the prescribed text and one other related text

The key word there is represented. Ultimately, it is being represented to the audience. For this reason I think it's really good to include! I agree in that I don't necessarily think it is mandatory for high marks, but it shows that you've carefully considered this part of the rubric. Most of the strong essays I see incorporate the impact on the audience for the AoS :)

Nicki

• Trailblazer
  • hello
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2016, 10:30:14 am »
+1
haha yeah you really can't go in with a predetermined view because bostes could literally throw anything at us haha
but thank you for your insight! i really hope its something to do with the transformative nature of discovery i love that stuff hehe :)

Nope! Not unless it is specified in the essay question, which I doubt would happen, especially in the second year of discovery being examined. I didn't mention the audience except very vaguely in one point. It didn't hurt my mark :)

Honestly, I'd love to predict it or at least have a crack at it! But, because there is only one year of past papers, it's hardly as though we could look at trends and have a guess. If I took the most wild guess in the world, I'd go for the transformative nature of discovery - and that purely comes from me thinking it would be a great question for most texts. I have no idea what the question may be - so don't take this as prophetic! The rubric is created with the intention of being broad, and the texts are chosen in a way that they relate to several aspects of the rubric, so my gut feeling is not supported by anything lol! And to prove how far off I am...I thought the 2015 paper would be about the transformative nature of discovery too ;) It wasn't! lol.
HSC 2016 Graduate
Subjects:
English Standard, Mathematics, Business Studies, Legal Studies, Economics, Community and Family Studies

dylan862

• Adventurer
  • School: Lisarow High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2016, 02:25:27 pm »
Is it ok to talk about 1 character in depth or is it better to talk about 2?