National Education > General National Education Discussion

A Message to the Class of 2017

(1/1)

yxxl:
Hey!

I'm new to this website so i'm not sure if this is being posted in the right place but I used ATAR Notes extensively throughout year 12 and I can 100% say my VCE success is definitely because of this website, so thank you. As my way of giving back, I want to offer some words of advice for the next cohort of year 12's!

Dear Class of 2017,

Oh boy, you're in for a ride next year. It's one of the most tiring, physically and mentally demanding year of our short lives, be it, VCE, HSC, SACE, etc. To start off, i'll share a short story about my 2016 VCE year:

My parents doubted me this whole year, often telling me: "don't be too ambitious" or "if you set your goals too high, you're just going to get depressed on results day." What were supposed to be my two biggest supporters we're counting on my failure. I didn't let this stop me though, I worked my ass off this whole year and i'm pretty pleased with the outcome (plus the cheeky "I told you so" on results day was totally worth it) . What helped me the most is surrounding myself people that held the same mindset as myself. I surrounded myself with people who also wanted to succeed in VCE. Doing this, gave me the motivation to work my hardest when all my motivation was used up. The 'moral' of the story is: surround yourself with people who push you to be the best you can be and I can guarantee that this will make a whole world of difference throughout your final year of secondary studies. And hey, if you don't the results you wanted at the end of they year it's honestly okay, I know it's probably a cliche now but: your results don't define who you are. Let me tell you from first hand experience: a couple bad assessments isn't the end of the world.

I'm going to close off with some general things. Firstly, DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING TO THE NIGHT BEFORE. Cramming the night before, or, as some people at my school did, the lunch/recess before a sac isn't going to do any good. I like to think that if I don't know something the night before an assessment it's not going to do me any good learning it the night before, rather than lightly reviewing the concepts that i'm strong at. Secondly, STAY HEALTHY!I'm a massive hypocrite in saying this but don't forget to exercise and eat healthy foods! For me at least, going for a quick jog or doing a couple push ups before a study session helped me tackle difficult concepts in subjects like Chemistry and Biology. Plus, a healthy body is a healthy mind. Thirdly, MAINTAIN A TIGHT STUDY SCHEDULE. Get into the habit of studying on certain days and at certain times as well, this will help tackle the MASSIVE problem with lack of motivation that many year 12's suffer in the later stages of their final year of secondary study!

As said by the legend himself, Shia LaBeouf: "Don't let your dreams be dreams. Yes you can! JUST DO IT!"

Swagadaktal:
Brilliant post!

Just wanted to add: Don't let yourself get in the way of your dreams! Sometimes I'd say to myself "I'm being too ambitious, there's no chance you could make it when there's 100 asians people who are more hard working and more talented"     
But I didn't listen to those voices and neither should you!

No idea where I read this but: "Whether you decide that you can or you can't - you're right"

Dream big peeps <3

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version