Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 03:21:28 pm

Author Topic: Doing Non-adversarial justice (LAW4225) alongside 3 compulsory law units?  (Read 2050 times)  Share 

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Hi guys!
So I'm trying to figure out what to do as my fourth subject for next semester, as I'm going to be doing crim B, torts B AND contract B next semester - which'll be quite intense. I also don't know what to major in for commerce yet, so I don't think I'll be doing a commerce subject next semester.

Non adversarial justice has really stood out to me for a while because the content seems quite interesting, so I eventually do want to do it as an elective. I'm thinking of doing it next semester, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. My reasoning for doing it is that I've heard it has a light workload and I also find the content very interesting. However, since it's a law subject I'm having second thoughts about whether it is actually a light workload unit or not. Anyone have any idea? Would it be bad to do alongside 3 compulsory law units? The other option is to just do the 3 units alone, but I'd prefer to do 4 if possible.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

Rohmer

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
I haven't done Non-adversarial justice. From the looks of it, it's probably on the easier side of elective law units, as it doesn't look like hard black letter law, and the assessment consists of a take-home exam and an essay. That said, the readings may still be moderate-heavy. If you excel at units that involve policy moreso than 'problems', it's probably a good choice. Not sure if Ross Hyams still takes it, but if so, he's a great lecturer.

That said, 3 core law units in a semester is a tough workload by itself. I'd be concerned about the plan as it's likely to create a pretty hectic exam period (especially as there's potential for all 3 of those units to be held early on in the exam period, given the bigger units are regularly scheduled then). Once you throw in another law unit, the workload becomes noticeably less manageable. Personally, I would be inclined to pick a soft first year com unit, or do only the 3 cores. If you can do that and push back a unit for a summer or winter semester, I'd definitely consider it; your choice depends somewhat on how feasible summer/winter units are...

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Thanks for the reply :)

From what people have told me, it's pretty easy if you're into that area and there's only two assessments - one due mid semester and a take-home exam. Apparently the types of readings involved are similar to in arts, which I don't have experience with but I'm assuming it means no cases.

Yeah, I realised it might be a little too much to handle, so I'm still thinking about it. I might just do another first year management unit instead or in the worst case, just do the three law units alone. Summer and winter semester are both options for me that I'm considering so taking on three units won't be too much of an issue if that's what it'll come down to. I might just try the unit and see how it goes, and then if it's too much I'll drop it/change to a first year management unit.

Also, Ross is (unfortunately) not taking the unit. The handbook entry says Becky Batagol is taking it but MUTTS says it's Jessie Taylor. I know nothing about either of them so not too sure!!
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)