Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:21:23 pm

Author Topic: English Language 3 & 4 - Informal Language  (Read 3458 times)  Share 

eric99

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
English Language 3 & 4 - Informal Language
« on: November 21, 2016, 11:45:25 am »
Hey guys im currently on orientation week for year 12, We've been given sheets in my engL class informing us what we should expect. In our first outcome we'll be looking at Informal Language, and for outcome two Formal language. Do you guys have any tips on how i can prepare for these outcomes
 ( :
Thanks,

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: English Language 3 & 4 - Informal Language
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 02:44:18 pm »
+1
Hey, Eric! Welcome to ATAR Notes. ;D I hope you stick around during the year!

Hey guys im currently on orientation week for year 12, We've been given sheets in my engL class informing us what we should expect. In our first outcome we'll be looking at Informal Language, and for outcome two Formal language. Do you guys have any tips on how i can prepare for these outcomes
 ( :
Thanks,

I think my best advice at this stage is pretty basic: just be curious. Take note of the words that people use, how they use them, and (most importantly) why they might be using those words. Language is interesting, because you can always say something in a different way. In general, then, people choose (consciously or otherwise) to use certain forms of languages over alternatives due to various reasons; these could include, for example, the audience, the situational context, identity, and so on.

So if you hear something weird in the news (say the government is describing a new tax as "a necessary implementation of financial improvement" or something equally bullshitty), take note of it. If your friends use the phrase coolbeans around each other but not around parents, take note of it. And so on - basically, just analyse everything you can (you don't have to do this all the time, haha, but it will get you into a nice English Language mood over the break). :)

Alternatively, you might like to start collecting some newspaper articles or other news items that might be relevant examples to use in your SACs or exam. A very quick Google News search reveals articles like this one on taboo and swearing, and this one on the language employed by Donald Trump.

And if none of that tickles your whiskers, you could try consolidating your knowledge on metalanguage (so, the language we use to talk about language): things like verbs, nouns, and whatever else. :)

All the very best! And stick around. ;D

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

dmitridr

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • VCE English Language Tutor
  • Respect: +38
Re: English Language 3 & 4 - Informal Language
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 12:12:56 pm »
+1
 ( :
Thanks,

Great question! Here are some of my personal tips :)

Know your metalanguage!

This is a given, not just for SAC 1, but SAC 2, 3, 4 and so forth – and the exam! You must go into your assessment knowing the metalanguage that could be assessed and also how to apply it. Knowing is one part, conceptually understanding is another. This comes through practice, so in the holidays make sure create a list with definitions. Sadly some students leave it to the last minute and this will cause unnecessary stress!

Know what informal actually means!

Always remember that informal language encourages intimacy, solidarity and a social connection with the audience/speakers. Informal language is also generally more efficient in terms of saving time, however, at times informal language can be more ambiguous. To help you with this process, I have listed some informal language features below.

Main Features of Informal Texts (Spoken and Written):

Slang terms
Colloquialisms
Phrasal verbs (verb + preposition)
Contractions
Abbreviations/Acronyms/Initialisms
Ellipsis
Swearing/colourful language
Discourse particles (like, you know)
Interrogative tags
Diminutives
Simple and compound sentence structure – lack of complex/compound-complex sentences
Inference
Interrogative sentence types
Non-standard orthography
Capitalisation/Bolding/Italics
Exclamation marks
Features of spoken discourse
The use of deictic expressions
The use of personal pronouns (e.g. ‘I’, ‘We’)
The use of active sentence structure as opposed to passive
Beginning a sentence with a conjunction
Emoticons
Neologisms
Idioms
Assimilation
Elision
Reduction
Shortenings
Before your first informal language SAC, I would recommend you create a list of these on your computer with definition and examples. Always remember that state WHY this informal feature has been used in a given context! For example, a speaker in a friendship group may use swearing to build social rapport with his/her interlocutors and to create social solidarity.

Practice, practice, practice!

Once you know the SAC format, you must then practice, practice and then practice some more! Get your work checked by your teacher and read sample A+ responses to ensure you’re on the right track.

Be linguistically aware! And ask why.

Read newspapers. Don’t just absorb the content, try and look for subtleties in text and ask yourself why the author would write in the way he/she does. Take photos on your phone of interesting articles that stand out to you.

Listen to your friends talk. No, this doesn’t mean be a stalker. This means just listen and in your mind consciously make notes as to why he/she would be speaking like that. For example, is your friend making use of those frequently used discourse particles? Is your friend saying ‘like, ‘well’, ‘you know’, ‘sorted’ and ‘kinda’ a lot? If so, ask yourself WHY?

Seeing new terms being used on Facebook by your friends? You may be witnessing the creation of new slang!

Seen an advertisement on TV or a billboard? Ask why language play has been used there

If you’re doing an essay SAC, make sure you compile some useful quotes – again found in the media, through linguistics or just through your own observations in the world.

So, simply put, next time you come across any form of language – be it in the media, with friends, on notices etc – ask you, “WHY”? Then think.
Winter EL Workshop on Unit 4 AOS 1! Click here!

Need VCE English Language tutoring? Offering personal and group tutoring! See more details here!

Require a VCE tutor for any subject? - Click here!

Learn the entire VCE English Language 3/4 course inside out, in an interactive & engaging way! Get 25% OFF the full price today: Click here.