Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:58 pm

Poll

The long debated question. Which is better?

The University of Melbourne
32 (43.8%)
Monash University
26 (35.6%)
Undecided
15 (20.5%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Melbourne V Monash  (Read 9800 times)  Share 

costargh

Re: Melbourne V Monash
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 10:53:02 am »
Ok how about if Melbourne and Monash both offered similar courses for a certain field of study and you had the choice between the two. Which one would you choose.
Eg. I don't know what I would choose if I had the choice between Commerce at Melbourne or Monash. How does the new Melbourne Model change the situation?

squance

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 11:46:18 am »
I like both unis!!

Because I did the UMEP thing this year...Im used to getting to places at Melbourne uni...oh yeah...I like Melb uni because its very close to the city where I can go and do shopping!!!!

But Monash is also a good place to go to...DOUBLE DEGREES!!!!

But Melbourne has a lot of scholarships available..espeically for disadvantaged people.....

Arrgh!!!

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 02:29:00 pm »
MONASH MONASH MONASH!

Awesome Aerospace Engineering program, synchotron, proximity to my house, fairly decent science department, awesome exchange program overseas and it has a really good social scene, too. :D

Plus, you know, there's that added benefit of being able to do a double degree. :D

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 05:59:55 pm »
I like Melb uni because its very close to the city where I can go and do shopping!!!!

OMG I forgot about that!! :P major advantage there :P

Oh now I really don't know which one to pick haha
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Markos

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 05:02:12 pm »
I dunno ... I think it depends on what course you want to do. Like I've been told (by a very biased party, mind you) that UoM music is far superior to Monash music

Quite true, although I like Monash music's freedom for jazz. I dunno, I just feel like monash offers a less... conservative/strict to tradition side to their music course over Melbourne, which I find kind of appealing.

But I'm hoping to get into Melbourne so I can study engineering along with music, something I'm BEGGING to do at monash

golids

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 07:02:41 pm »
really hard to say, UoM is stronger in some courses but Monash is stronger at others

the only thing that pisses me off with UoM is this new Melbourne Model  :P

squance

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 07:27:29 pm »

Yep same here.....

elaine

• Business Management Moderator
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 08:11:28 pm »
The Melbourne Model is pretty cool from what I know- breadth and depths subjects :).
But it does suck for people who were doing double degrees and now it's all being changed and they have to do postgrads. Or is that wrong? Just what i heard.
[♥]

golids

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 08:47:49 pm »
The Melbourne Model is pretty cool from what I know- breadth and depths subjects :).
But it does suck for people who were doing double degrees and now it's all being changed and they have to do postgrads. Or is that wrong? Just what i heard.

something along those lines...

there is a bit more to it, but i'm probably not the best to explain coz my knowledge is a bit vague

RD

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 09:01:30 pm »

Yep same here.....
me 3..

AppleXY

• Life cannot be Delta Hedged.
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Even when the bears bite, confidence never dies.
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 07:03:46 pm »

Yep same here.....
me 3..

Not me :p It's actually significantly beneficial for me :D

2009 - BBus (Econometrics/Economics&Fin) @ Monash

For Email: click here

Need a question answered? Merspi it!

[quote="Benjamin F

brendan

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2007, 08:00:06 pm »

Yep same here.....
me 3..

Not me :p It's actually significantly beneficial for me :D

how>?

costargh

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2007, 03:56:33 pm »
Does anyone here believe that Melbourne University will always be the preferred choice for people with ENTER's over 99.00 or around that, purely because it contains the capital of Victoria in its name? LOL

I am actually being serious though. I think especially for international or interstate students, "Melbourne University (or the UoM)" sounds more prestigious than "Monash University" purely because of the name. Even for myself, sometimes I feel that that Melbourne may just "sound" better but not actually offer a better level of education (purely speculative).

costargh

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2007, 05:29:37 pm »
the model of melb uni is such a waste of time, i dont get why u have to do a general course the move onto preferred field
Its not so much a "general course" because you are still selecting a "preferred field" in which you undertake your degree however it is "general" in the sense that a certain percent of your course must be from subjects outside of your field. I think the whole idea of the Melbourne Model is to give students a broader education and not leave them with one qualification that may not be adequate due to changing occupations and professions etc.
However whilst saying that, it is quite contradictory of them to imply or state that when they are taking away double degrees. But I guess that the "general" degree replaces the broadness of a double degree.

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2007, 06:03:06 pm »
I think especially for international or interstate students, "Melbourne University (or the UoM)" sounds more prestigious than "Monash University" purely because of the name.

Hahaha. That's why some of my relatives back in China believe Victoria Uni is the ultimate top of the notch uni here, cos omggggg it has the state in its name!
(I'm serious)

EDIT: no offence to VU students / prospective students
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]