Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:47:01 pm

Author Topic: Studying For Economics  (Read 1899 times)  Share 

onepunchboy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Concord High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Studying For Economics
« on: October 24, 2016, 07:11:21 pm »
Hi guys just wanted some suggestions of how i should study up until the economics exam.

The last time i looked at economics was before trials and i think ive pretty much forgotten alot of the content. Im not sure how to start studying right now, i feel like if i do past papers, i'd be constantly looking at the answers and alternatively reading the textbook feels inefficient as i would be starting from chapter 1...

Should i write up essays to memorise for the exam , and learn some content from writing those? IDK i feel so overwhelmed , anyone have any suggestions?

THANKS

Essej

• Forum Regular
  • "Don't settle for good. Strive for great".
  • Respect: 0
Re: Studying For Economics
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 07:57:47 pm »
+1
Hi guys just wanted some suggestions of how i should study up until the economics exam.

The last time i looked at economics was before trials and i think ive pretty much forgotten alot of the content. Im not sure how to start studying right now, i feel like if i do past papers, i'd be constantly looking at the answers and alternatively reading the textbook feels inefficient as i would be starting from chapter 1...

Should i write up essays to memorise for the exam , and learn some content from writing those? IDK i feel so overwhelmed , anyone have any suggestions?

THANKS

Hey onepunchboy!

There's definitely nothing wrong with starting with past papers when in your situation :) - you just have to approach it differently.

Instead of doing full papers under timed conditions like you would once you have consolidated your knowledge, what you want to do is go through perhaps the last 5 years worth of papers, circling each question you absolutely could not answer (including extended responses) and find the corresponding syllabus dot point they refer to e.g. if you are unable to answer a question on the EU review Topic 1 and trading blocs/monetary unions. You could also do this with the syllabus, going through all 4 topics and pinpointing the areas you would struggle to recall information on.

Depending on how you went in your trials (hopefully not terribly  :-\ ) i'm confident you don't need to start again with your revision - a lot of what you've learned has stuck with you, whether you realise it or not ;). Therefore, creating a new set of 'super' notes (including statistics!) based solely around what you cannot for the life of you remember is what I would recommend.

In regards to the other part of your question, I don't recommend memorising essays for economics. There is simply too much they can ask on, and whilst the questions are generally broad it's best simply to ensure that for each point (especially popular topics like exchange rates) you have enough stats and content knowledge to sustain 800ish words.

For practice (once you've consolidated your knowledge) I would recommend doing essay plans detailing what you would include in each paragraph, including stats, graphs etc.

Hope this helps  ;D ;D
Class of 2016
------------------------
English Advanced: 93
Legal Studies: 96
Economics: 93
Business Studies: 92
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 93

2016 ATAR: 98.75

hermansia12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 08:13:30 pm »

THANKS

Hey onepunchboy,

Ok lets break down the time you have left- You have about a week left to study for Economics. Don't let this fact scare you though, this is definitely enough time. to study for Economics so first step is to breathe and get rid of all negativity so you can be the most productive you can be in this last week.Economics is a logic and common sense driven course so panicking is one of the best ways to sabotage yourself. Panic is banned till after HSC!!

I would probably set out my study schedule the following way:

• Read over your notes/textbook chapters on the Economic Issues (last topic), Globalization and your case study. Skim over this and annotate any key facts on the side of your textbook. This is literally the whole course in a nutshell and will give you the answers for all the questions. Everything in economics links back to this so it will prepare you for any question they throw at you in HSC.
    • Practice multiple choice every day till the night before. I have uploaded a formula sheet on the economic forum for all the common maths questions they will ask so that those questions should be do-able. Do them slowly. Annotate why you feel it is that answer. This gives you a clearer understanding of economic concepts and definitions
    • Go over your trial paper. Yes this is the most cringeworthy thing to do but it can help jog your memory. While doing this you should redo all the questions you had trouble so that you do not repeat your mistakes
    • Do as many practice papers as you can and don't stress out if you have to open your textbook to find the answers. Skip the questions you know the answers to and tackle the ones that seem like curveballs.s

Good Luck!! :) Hope this helps
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 08:44:17 pm by hermansia12 »
    Economics: 91
    English Advanced: 90
    Studies of Religion 1: 46
    Mathematics Extension 1: 88
    Mathematics Extension 2: 73

ATAR: 96.05

Currently studying: Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) (Hons)/Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW

onepunchboy

• Forum Regular
    • Respect: +5
    • School: Concord High
    • School Grad Year: 2016
    « Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 12:57:52 am »
    hey thank you for the tips guys i really appreciate it !  I feel like i have some direction now :))