Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 10:09:03 pm

Author Topic: Repeating Business?  (Read 1405 times)  Share 

mitchellhadley

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Repeating Business?
« on: August 28, 2016, 04:48:24 pm »
So I'm in year 10 this year and completed unit 1 and 2 business manag, I feel like I know the topic really well and I don't struggle with it. Do you guys think it would be worth repeating it or would it just be a complete waste of time?

Moderator edit: Changed title for relevance.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 05:09:33 pm by Aaron »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Repeating Business?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 05:10:31 pm »
Complete waste of time. There is no actual benefit in repeating a Unit 1 and 2 subject again.

Even if you said you wanted to repeat Units 3 and 4 of Busman, I'd still say no. Get your S for the units and move on.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 05:16:19 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
  • Be yourself and be your best self.
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 06:41:12 pm »
+1
So I'm in year 10 this year and completed unit 1 and 2 business manag, I feel like I know the topic really well and I don't struggle with it. Do you guys think it would be worth repeating it or would it just be a complete waste of time?

Moderator edit: Changed title for relevance.

So honestly, how well are you doing in Business Management?

I have personal experience in terms of deciding to repeat subjects, but in the end have decided not to. So what happened:
Well, I was doing Chinese 1/2 in year 10. Honestly, I have found it quite hard for me to do, despite my Chinese background (and the fact that I quit Chinese school and didn't do Chinese form year 7-9 made it really hard). Because of my circumstances, I was figuring out whether to repeat a subject or not. So I spoke to the school assistant principle at the time (whom I will not name) and told her my situation and my mediocre grades. She told me to go and do year 12 Chinese as opposed to repeating the unit 1/2.

However, some students who are not doing very well in the subject were told to either repeat it or to drop out, as that may help them do better in the subject (or that they would probably do better in another subject).

However, it is advised at my school that people who repeat the unit 1/2 do not tend to do any better in the subject than if they continued into the unit 3/4. And students repeating a 3/4 probably don't do any better than if they just did it once.

So unless you are confident that you can, and you will do better repeating a subject than the other options (such as picking another subject), then I would advise against it. As you have stated that you feel like you know the topic really well and don't struggle with it, I suggest you continue into the unit 3/4 as that would allow the continuity of the subject, and in your particular case, it would be a complete waste of time for the reasons above. Like even with a mediocre score, I was asked to do the year 12 following doing the year 11 in year 10. So if you are fairly comfortable, why not do the unit 3/4?

mitchellhadley

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 09:40:29 pm »
Thanks for the answers