Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:38:47 pm

Author Topic: English Assessment - Listening Task  (Read 5974 times)  Share 

Kaan709

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
English Assessment - Listening Task
« on: February 07, 2017, 08:46:02 pm »
Hey guys, I just received a notification for English and it's a listening task (no visuals). What would I be expecting? music? speech? Just so I can prepare myself with 'auditory techniques'

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English Assessment - Listening Task
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 09:08:48 pm »
Hey guys, I just received a notification for English and it's a listening task (no visuals). What would I be expecting? music? speech? Just so I can prepare myself with 'auditory techniques'

Hey! In the task I did similar to this I got an excerpt from a speech, and that is because I was doing speeches; you should base your expectations on your Prescribed Text for the Module (and the Module itself!). It is likely to relate to it. It could be a speech, a podcast, an excerpt - It is likely to be simple, a song is a little unlikely in my opinion ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 09:13:19 pm »
+1
For my listening task, which was for Module A, we listened to a scene from the movie we were studying. No visuals, just sounds. We were then asked to write how the language in that scene identifies the purpose of remaking Shakespeare's original text, Richard III.

For me, the techniques were dialogue, diegetic and non diegetic sounds, colloquialisms, and tone. It was purely about the voice of Al Pacino :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

miss_demeanour

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 10:28:23 pm »
+1
During the listening task I did for English Advanced, the two texts were: an auditory recount of a lion's escape from a zoo, and a speech by J.K. Rowling. This exam was for Discovery, so there were myriad avenues to ensure adaptability, which made my life a lot simpler.
There were a plethora of techniques in each text which made it quite easy to analyse. The techniques evident in the provided clips included metaphors, polyphonics, high/low modality, tone, etc.
In order to prepare for the assessment, I completed all the short answer questions available on the BOSTES website. Additionally, if you are experiencing doubt about your ability to recall/identify aural techniques, make sure that you research them so as to reinforce this knowledge.
Good luck!
:-)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 10:30:58 pm »
During the listening task I did for English Advanced, the two texts were: an auditory recount of a lion's escape from a zoo, and a speech by J.K. Rowling. This exam was for Discovery, so there were myriad avenues to ensure adaptability, which made my life a lot simpler.
There were a plethora of techniques in each text which made it quite easy to analyse. The techniques evident in the provided clips included metaphors, polyphonics, high/low modality, tone, etc.
In order to prepare for the assessment, I completed all the short answer questions available on the BOSTES website. Additionally, if you are experiencing doubt about your ability to recall/identify aural techniques, make sure that you research them so as to reinforce this knowledge.
Good luck!
:-)

Welcome to the forums! Love your username, ahaha, thanks for your awesome contribution ;D

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 12:52:21 am »
+2

Hey! I just completed my "Listening Task" for Module C in English Standard. Though, it was a submitted extended response task...
I actually got a performance poetry which is basically a spoken word poems... So you could possibly get those text types. They are quite unique though... They are similar to those Slam poetry stuff. 

For those ones, I would look into pace, volume, meter, beat and of course your literary techniques.
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

mirakhiralla

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 09:59:14 pm »
How do I prepare for a listening task?
I have been practicing but because I am panicking to get everything I hear down, I don't end up getting my responses right.

Tips?