Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:02:35 am

Author Topic: BAND 6 IN ENGLISH STANDARD?!  (Read 11881 times)  Share 

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
BAND 6 IN ENGLISH STANDARD?!
« on: February 05, 2017, 08:54:10 pm »
Hey everyone,

PEOPLE ARE TELLING ME IT'S HARD TO GET BAND 6 IN ENGLISH AND IM SO WORRIED RIGHT NOW...
I think it was like an average of <1% of people in the HSC 2016 that got a Band 6 in English Standard.

First question : Why is the percentage so low?

Second question:
How am I, as well as many others, to achieve a band 6 in English? I know there's gonna be advice on practice papers, learn your texts, modules etc. But if students are actually doing this, shouldn't there be an increase or higher percentage of students achieving a band 6 in English standard?

Third question:
RIGHT NOW, MY TEACHER SAID I WAS SITTING AT A BAND 4/LOW BAND 5... I'm worried.............  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
Re: BAND 6 IN ENGLISH STANDARD?!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 09:33:50 pm »
Hey everyone,

PEOPLE ARE TELLING ME IT'S HARD TO GET BAND 6 IN ENGLISH AND IM SO WORRIED RIGHT NOW...
I think it was like an average of <1% of people in the HSC 2016 that got a Band 6 in English Standard.

Second question:
How am I, as well as many others, to achieve a band 6 in English? I know there's gonna be advice on practice papers, learn your texts, modules etc. But if students are actually doing this, shouldn't there be an increase or higher percentage of students achieving a band 6 in English standard?

Third question:
RIGHT NOW, MY TEACHER SAID I WAS SITTING AT A BAND 4/LOW BAND 5... I'm worried.............  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Hey there Dalvin!

First of all, those people telling you that it's hard to get a Band 6 are totally right. A Band 6 signifies scoring among the very top group of students in NSW. It's not easy. If it was easy then there would be no way to differentiate between everyone.

And you're exactly right in saying that doing practise papers and knowing your texts is the way to achieve it. Sure there are strategies to help you get ahead e.g. getting help on ATAR Notes, but other than that there's no magic formula that will guarantee you the mark you want. It's going to be you, and only you, sitting your English exam in October. So you have to know your shit.

And to put it plainly; a large majority of students don't actually do the work. That's why not everyone gets a Band 6.

So basically you could spend your time and energy worrying about the mark you're going to get, or you could get stuck into improving that estimated Band 4/5 into the Band 6 you're after. And we're all here to help you do that!  :)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 09:39:36 pm »
Hey there Dalvin!

First of all, those people telling you that it's hard to get a Band 6 are totally right. A Band 6 signifies scoring among the very top group of students in NSW. It's not easy. If it was easy then there would be no way to differentiate between everyone.

And you're exactly right in saying that doing practise papers and knowing your texts is the way to achieve it. Sure there are strategies to help you get ahead e.g. getting help on ATAR Notes, but other than that there's no magic formula that will guarantee you the mark you want. It's going to be you, and only you, sitting your English exam in October. So you have to know your shit.

And to put it plainly; a large majority of students don't actually do the work. That's why not everyone gets a Band 6.

So basically you could spend your time and energy worrying about the mark you're going to get, or you could get stuck into improving that estimated Band 4/5 into the Band 6 you're after. And we're all here to help you do that!  :)

Lol yeah... GUESS I'M GONNA BUY THAT ENGLISH ATARNOTES BOOK SOON :P

Do you have a link or something where someone has written about improving in English in ATARNOTES forum?
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 09:44:01 pm »
Hey everyone,

Second question:

Third question:

Hey! Everything ssarahj said is correct! Another big reason that it is so difficult to do well in standard is because you are marked against Advanced students in paper 1 (super unfair but it is what it is), so the majority of standard students will always fall in the bottom half, which makes it really hard for them to score well overall even if they smash paper 2. Thus, strategically I'd probably spend a tad extra time making sure that that paper 1 (so discovery) is completely airtight and at a standard as close to advanced students as you can. This was only explained to me recently so I hope I have got this right hahaha, but this is my understanding of it.

You have an entire year to bump up that mark don't worry! We're all here to help and support you in any way we can :) I'm sure you can do it, just work hard and keep your head up!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 10:27:18 pm »
Hey Dalvin,

You're not wrong about it being difficult, but you definitely can do it.
Lauren, from Victoria, wrote this article about improving your vocabulary. It might be handy if this is a downfall for you!

I'm not sure if this is an issue for you at school, but if you find that you are in a Standard English class with students who don't want to learn, try involve yourself as much as possible with Advanced students and resources. Sometimes it's the climate of academia that can make a huge difference to one's results! If you're really ambitious for the high band, don't think "this is good for a standard student" but think "is this good for an English student?" Don't class yourself in the standards of the Standard course, but instead push yourself to become a better writer, analyst, and English student! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 11:43:07 pm »
+1
Hey! Everything ssarahj said is correct! Another big reason that it is so difficult to do well in standard is because you are marked against Advanced students in paper 1 (super unfair but it is what it is), so the majority of standard students will always fall in the bottom half, which makes it really hard for them to score well overall even if they smash paper 2. Thus, strategically I'd probably spend a tad extra time making sure that that paper 1 (so discovery) is completely airtight and at a standard as close to advanced students as you can. This was only explained to me recently so I hope I have got this right hahaha, but this is my understanding of it.

You have an entire year to bump up that mark don't worry! We're all here to help and support you in any way we can :) I'm sure you can do it, just work hard and keep your head up!

WOW  :o Thanks man for that heads up! I didn't know about that! Definitely would be embedded in my mind every time I heard the words "English Exams" haha!

BTW, my friends and I think your HSC is LITERALLY GOALSSSSSSSSS! LIKE WTF. OMG.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 11:46:19 pm by DalvinT »
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 11:45:25 pm »
+1
Hey Dalvin,

You're not wrong about it being difficult, but you definitely can do it.
Lauren, from Victoria, wrote this article about improving your vocabulary. It might be handy if this is a downfall for you!

I'm not sure if this is an issue for you at school, but if you find that you are in a Standard English class with students who don't want to learn, try involve yourself as much as possible with Advanced students and resources. Sometimes it's the climate of academia that can make a huge difference to one's results! If you're really ambitious for the high band, don't think "this is good for a standard student" but think "is this good for an English student?" Don't class yourself in the standards of the Standard course, but instead push yourself to become a better writer, analyst, and English student! :)

Thank you Elyse for giving me a new perspective into how I should be assessing my work! :) Really sounds helpful and brings my confidence up!! :) Also, definitely would look into the vocab forum page tomorrow morning whilst on the bus to school  :P
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 12:48:40 am »
+1
BTW, my friends and I think your HSC is LITERALLY GOALSSSSSSSSS! LIKE WTF. OMG.
Aww this is so sweet thank you! Good luck for the year ahead I'm sure you and your friends will absolutely smash it  ;D Just keep up the strong work ethic you're demonstrating here and you'll be all good.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!