Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:54:18 am

Author Topic: So, B of Media Arts (Major in animation) (UNSW) or B of Design Computing (USYD)?  (Read 1755 times)  Share 

ninax

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10
Hi, I recently recieved an ATAR of 88, which gives me a clearly-in indication for both of these courses (81 cut off). However, which of these courses are better? I want to be an animator/game developer, and with Media Arts I can major in Animation, however I've heard that the course is quite art-theory heavy, and doesn't really start anything until the 2nd year. Furthermore, Media Arts (can only do hons) at UNSW is 4 years whilst B of Design Computing USYD is 3.

I've also considered Design in Animation at UTS, however UTS is considered less prestigious and would limit job opportunies.

Also, since animation is limited (and considered hard to get into) should I do a dual degree, such as B of Media Arts (majoring in animation) / B of Education (secondary)? (will help job prospects) Will this dual degree interfere in the depth of knowledge acquired from Media Arts? And furthermore, will this make my work-load too heavy?

Any help is welcome! If you have any experience or know anybody doing these courses help is much appreciated :D Even if you haven't, what do you think of dual courses in regards to security, or is it a waste of time?

Also which UNI is better UNSW or USYD?  Or should I abandon these degrees entirely and try and find something different?

Also, sidenote, thankyou to all the help you have provided on this website! My legal marks have definitely boosted atleast 5 marks because of the estimated legal question for the essay!
Hsc 2016 Exam Results: English Standard: 91 (93 raw)  General Math: 79 Business Studies: 78 Legal Studies: 84 Sor: 88 Visual Arts: 96 (99th percentile +Nomination for Art Express)
ATAR aim: 70-80. ATAR: 88.45 :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Hey! Welcome to the forums! ;D

Don't really know much about these degrees specifically, but I will say that the idea of 'prestige' isn't really a thing. It's about the qualification, not where you got it. A degree from UTS would mean just as much as the same degree from UNSW or USYD. You should choose an institution for things like facilities, convenience, program structure and general vibes - Don't pick it just based on preconceived ideas of prestige. People are chosen for jobs based on capability and experience (on that note, you should pick a degree that gives you lots of real world experience, which I do know that both UNSW and UTS do really well, not sure about USYD!)

A dual degree could be useful if you want to broaden your skill set, absolutely! Can't comment on whether it takes away from depth of knowledge for Media Arts, but it definitely won't add to your workload in terms of hours per week. You'll get less electives (or none at all), but you'll still do the same amount of work at any given time, so no worries there ;D everyone I know who does dual degrees really enjoys the additional knowledge they gain from it; if you feel you could see yourself in the Education sector, then add the dual! It probably extends your study by a year? Worth it if you think you see yourself going that way, or if you want to give yourself some broader skills ;D

Which uni is better? Matter of preference! You should give this guide a read ;D

PS - Awesome work on Legal! The Legal prediction wasn't too difficult this year, it will test me next year ;)

I hope my limited knowledge is a bit of help :)

ninax

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10
Thank you for your prompt reply!

I see, that makes sense! In regards to taking away electives, does that mean I won't major in Animation? Are electives and majors synonymous ?(Sorry I don't know uni terminology).

That's a relief, my parents were telling me that I would quit under the pressure of doing 'too much work'. Hypothetically, if I started a dual degree could I drop one and continue the other? For example, if I started my dual degree and decided to drop Education in Year 2, would I be able to continue Media Arts?

I heard apparently there will be changes to UNSW starting in 2017/18 which are not preferable (I think it was 2 semesters to a trimester or something, and it was bad etc), so because of that I may pick uts.

And thanks! Your information so far has been great in erasing any preconcieved notions and making me more aware with uni choices etc  :D
Hsc 2016 Exam Results: English Standard: 91 (93 raw)  General Math: 79 Business Studies: 78 Legal Studies: 84 Sor: 88 Visual Arts: 96 (99th percentile +Nomination for Art Express)
ATAR aim: 70-80. ATAR: 88.45 :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Thank you for your prompt reply!

I see, that makes sense! In regards to taking away electives, does that mean I won't major in Animation? Are electives and majors synonymous ?(Sorry I don't know uni terminology).

That's a relief, my parents were telling me that I would quit under the pressure of doing 'too much work'. Hypothetically, if I started a dual degree could I drop one and continue the other? For example, if I started my dual degree and decided to drop Education in Year 2, would I be able to continue Media Arts?

I heard apparently there will be changes to UNSW starting in 2017/18 which are not preferable (I think it was 2 semesters to a trimester or something, and it was bad etc), so because of that I may pick uts.

And thanks! Your information so far has been great in erasing any preconcieved notions and making me more aware with uni choices etc  :D

Oh sorry! No, so some degrees allow you to choose courses (subjects) that don't necessarily relate to your degree; they are meant for you to pursue more general interests. UNSW for example calls this General Education. I'm an electrical engineer at UNSW, and I took an Economics course this year as a General Education course. Next year I'm taking a course on employability and the job market.

So, if you take a double degree, the space they allow for those sorts of courses will likely disappear; it will go to courses fulfilling the requirements of the Bachelor of Education. Does that sort of make sense?

On dropping, I think so, because basically to graduate with a certain qualification you need to meet the requirements for that degree. A double degree is just a way of fast tracking that for two degrees at once. I think it would be possible, but best to call the institution of choice and check your options!

UNSW is indeed moving to a trimester model; which will involve three shorter semesters. So right now it is March-June, then August-November, roughly speaking. The new model has March-May, June-August, September-November. The details are here. Being at UNSW, this has been a very unpopular decision. They surveyed the student base, who resoundingly said, "No, we don't want this," and they are now doing it anyway (at least that's my understanding). Lots of people are not happy, and lots of people are probably going to make that obvious over the next couple of years; the changes don't kick in for a few years.

Note: UTS has already adopted this trimester model in some capacity, so be warned!

All the major institutions will probably end up with this model soon anyway :P

Glad I could be of help! Keep firing questions my way and I'll do my best to assist :)