Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 04:22:55 am

Author Topic: Com/Law  (Read 1531 times)  Share 

Mishmosh

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Com/Law
« on: December 15, 2016, 11:10:32 am »
Hey guys

Next year I would like to study com/law at monash but I only got a 39 in English. I have the required atar but I also know that law is very English heavy. During the year I didn't struggle too much in English and I was very surprised at my English score because I was expecting more.

Would I struggle in Law if my English isn't very stong?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Re: Com/Law
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 11:16:00 am »
+3
The determining factor will be your work ethic, not your VCE English ability. I'd be worried about you if you got a 27 or something, but 39 indicates you absolutely have the ability to be successful in your degree.

Remember, every year there are a lot of people graduating with a Law degree that speak English as their second or even third language. You'll be fine, I wouldn't waste your time thinking about it :)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 12:22:43 pm »
+2
There are also many international students who study law and do well. I agree with brenden; how well you go in your degree will be a product of the time and effort that you put into your study when you have to, not a reflection of your past performance in high school English. Besides, a 39 is still a pretty great score - you reside in the top ~10% of the state, and the fact that you have the ATAR to get into comm/law in the first place indicates that you may have just had a bad day on the English exam, but done well enough everywhere else to secure a place. If it's what you want to study and you meet the prerequisites, don't let that stop you.

Personal anecdote: I'm doing biomed at the moment despite not having done VCE bio and the two prereqs (methods/chem) being my bottom two scores. I try not to let this get in the way of enjoying the degree, and you're definitely in a position where it won't be a problem.

Best of luck and have a nice day.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:26:18 pm by Alter »
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

zhenzhenzhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Not part of the furniture
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 01:56:45 pm »
+4
The determining factor will be your work ethic, not your VCE English ability. I'd be worried about you if you got a 27 or something, but 39 indicates you absolutely have the ability to be successful in your degree.

Agree, I got a 27 study score in English and am finishing my JD degree pretty handily with a top-tier job lined up.

You'll be fine - everyone's legal writing is absolutely terrible to start with and gets better over time.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 01:59:17 pm by zhenzhenzhen »
2010 - 2013: Bachelor of Software Engineering - Monash (completed w/ alternative exit to B. Comp Sci)
2014 - 2016: Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) - Monash

Mishmosh

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 09:49:02 pm »
Thank you so much for all the help!

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 10:02:37 pm »
Thank you so much for all the help!
You're super welcome :D :D

Let is know if you ever need more help in the next few days (... or years!)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

jibba

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • 日本のミカタ
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 10:16:16 pm »
39 in English is a really good score. A law degree is not really about how good your language analysis, text response skills are. It's about how much you like reading cases, your time management over the semester and how fast you can write in 2 hours. Although in recent years, research assignments are increasingly become more compulsory (a good thing too because that's what partners want from junior lawyers when you reach practice).

2011: Japanese SL [50] ATAR: 99.40
2012-2017: Arts/Law at Monash
My Japanese Advice Thread Q/A and advice for 2012/Future VCE Japanese Students
2013: Currently tutoring VCE Japanese. JLPT N2
2014: Exchange to Hitotsubashi University, Japan (April - August) & Seoul National University (September - December). JLPT N1
2017: Tutoring VCE Japanese/Offering VCE Japanese notes email : [email protected]