Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:03:05 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231768 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #1320 on: January 20, 2017, 07:46:10 pm »
hey guys, do you think using a song as a related text is a good idea? my teacher said not to because it comes off as immature, but i personally love music and songs really speak well to me so i think i'd really enjoy analysing a song as a related and i just wanted a second opinion on whether i should or not
also-- if using it as a related, would we also be able to analyse audio techniques, or should we focus on only the song lyrics?
thanks!

Hey! The big problem with songs is that almost always the song doesn't quite provide the level of depth you need. They are quite short, and sometimes it is difficult to find literary techniques besides rhyme.

If you find something that is an exception to the rule, then I think you should go for it! Be sure to check in with your teacher once you've used it to see if you are getting the required level of depth - But you'll never be marked down just for choosing a song as an ORT :)

If you do choose it, you will definitely need to analyse the song both lyrically and musically :)

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1321 on: January 20, 2017, 09:17:22 pm »
I see now :D
thank you for your help

I think that's the best approach! Pick one theme/idea/value/attitude, and look at how that is explored in either text. It can be the same, or they can say different things about the same topic (EG - positive/negative). But there needs to be that single conceptual link there to make it cohesive.

Spoiler
Q3. Discuss how values and attitudes are comparable and/or different in Text 1 and Text 2

‘Text 1’ and ‘Text 2’ utilise different conventions to convey the similar perception that a mother’s life revolves solely around her child to the audience. Both mothers in ‘Text 1’ and ‘Text 2’ display commendable attitudes of being hard working, reliable and devoted to their daughters as well the values of diligence, love and family. How is this shown though? This is what you'll explore, so this sentence is a little redundant. ‘Text 1’ is a visual text and utilises visual conventions such as composition, body language and lighting to convey the hard woking, reliable and devoted attitude towards raising her daughter. Whereas, the use of diction, tone and first person narration in ‘Text 2’ conveys the values mother’s that the mother holds towards diligance, love and family.

I think you are going about it the right way, but my big comment right now would be that you need more detail about how the techniques are used. Right now you are just listing - You need the full example and explanation in this question like you've done the others!

In the HSC, this question would demand a solid essay response - I'm not sure about WACE, but doing it justice will take at least a very solid paragraph ;D

shreya_ajoshi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1322 on: January 20, 2017, 11:11:54 pm »
Hi!
Would Interpreter of Maladies be a good related text for discovery?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1323 on: January 20, 2017, 11:47:41 pm »
Elyse

Could you please outline how to write an effective creative. I wrote one but it is terrible

What i did was that I set up the scene.
Like i mean,
that i thought that
You show something thats wrong with the person and then a discovery happens which generates a renewed understanding of the familiar. but its wrong. s

the whole creative is supposed to be about discovery.

My story is essentially about a mother who lost her family in a tsunami, and now has gone back to the beach in front of the hotel where they stayed. She hurls wires into the ocean but she sees a toy that belonged to her younger son. So she looks for more and more remnants of their past. And she gets frustrated coz all she manages to find is alcohol and smokes. so she keeps getting drunk.. and then one morning she gets up to scavenge. But she trips over a bump in the sand. She's so annoyed she wants to find out what made that bump and she starts digging and she has a flashback about the last time they were on the beach. And when she comes out of the flashback she feels so tired from digging. that she just falls in.

My discovery was supposed to be that she realises that there was nothing in the hole.. and that she (literally and figuratively) dug a hole for herself. So she throws away the alcohol and climbs out of the hole.

This is where the creative ends. and also, its written as a feature article.

But the creative is supposed to be about the consequences of discovery and my discovery is too late. So would you please help me out as to how to solve this problem..

Thank you

Hey! It sounds like you might want to have a read of a few guides that are super useful for Creative Writing - One of them was written by Elyse!

Here is one guide, and here is another!

These should give you a run down of the sorts of things to look for when writing a Creative, and how to thread the Discovery through the piece! But remember Discovery is a process - There is a catalyst, or a cause, that triggers the process. Then the process can be slow or fast, painful or easy, wanted or otherwise. Then at the end, there is some alteration to the person, or the community. Your job as the writer is to explore that whole process, or some variant of it, in some way. The whole story won't be just a continual chain of transformations - There needs to be a reason for them and there needs to be a build up. It sounds like you are on the right track for this already.

I hope the guides help! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1324 on: January 20, 2017, 11:50:44 pm »
Hi!
Would Interpreter of Maladies be a good related text for discovery?

Oh I have super vague knowledge of that text - Oh and on a Google it won a Pulitzer! It definitely has awesome potential, and the themes definitely seem like a good match. If it has some good literary techniques to discuss then it could be a winner - Hopefully someone has read it and can lend a better hand than I ;D

shreya_ajoshi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1325 on: January 22, 2017, 05:09:17 pm »
+1
Oh I have super vague knowledge of that text - Oh and on a Google it won a Pulitzer! It definitely has awesome potential, and the themes definitely seem like a good match. If it has some good literary techniques to discuss then it could be a winner - Hopefully someone has read it and can lend a better hand than I ;D

Thank you!!

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1326 on: January 23, 2017, 12:41:57 pm »
For this question
Q5. Discuss how at least one text you have studied represents the experiences of others and their culture
What does it mean by experiences of others?  Do you simply talk about a particular culture? Like Chinese culture?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1327 on: January 23, 2017, 12:59:36 pm »
For this question
Q5. Discuss how at least one text you have studied represents the experiences of others and their culture
What does it mean by experiences of others?  Do you simply talk about a particular culture? Like Chinese culture?

Experiences of others purely encapsulates anything that can happen to others - Physically, emotionally, spiritually, mentally (etc). It's just what they go through in their life. So you are talking about what others go through from a cultural perspective (at least, that's my interpretation) :)

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1328 on: January 23, 2017, 11:55:56 pm »
Thank you for your help :D

Experiences of others purely encapsulates anything that can happen to others - Physically, emotionally, spiritually, mentally (etc). It's just what they go through in their life. So you are talking about what others go through from a cultural perspective (at least, that's my interpretation) :)

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1329 on: January 24, 2017, 08:47:27 pm »

I was wondering what would be the best way to note the texts?
Would it be necessary to write all of the caption ( I think that's what it is called).
Text 1: This is an edited article by the Canadian writer Rachel Cusk. It was published in The New York Times in 2015.
Title: Raising Teenagers: The Mother of All Problems

Text 2: This is a copy of a print advertisement, part of a 2010 advertising campaign for the American brand 'Banquet'. It featured popular magazines that included Family Circle and Woman's Day.

Hungrymel

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1330 on: January 24, 2017, 08:49:56 pm »
Hi!
Do you guys have any suggestions for related texts for Motorcycle Diaries?
I thought of Utopia (2013) the documentary but it seemed too similar to MCD. I also thought of Dead Poets Society or Gran Torino but I'm not too sure about them

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1331 on: January 25, 2017, 12:05:18 am »
I was wondering what would be the best way to note the texts?
Would it be necessary to write all of the caption ( I think that's what it is called).
Text 1: This is an edited article by the Canadian writer Rachel Cusk. It was published in The New York Times in 2015.
Title: Raising Teenagers: The Mother of All Problems

Text 2: This is a copy of a print advertisement, part of a 2010 advertising campaign for the American brand 'Banquet'. It featured popular magazines that included Family Circle and Woman's Day.

I'm a little afraid to answer this, because WACE could have different expectations! In the HSC, you give the full title once, and you can then abbreviate/shorten from there if you need to, provided you indicate what you are using :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1332 on: January 25, 2017, 12:23:42 am »
Hi!
Do you guys have any suggestions for related texts for Motorcycle Diaries?
I thought of Utopia (2013) the documentary but it seemed too similar to MCD. I also thought of Dead Poets Society or Gran Torino but I'm not too sure about them

Hey Hungrymel! Welcome to the forums! ;D I've not studied Motorcycle Diaries, so hopefully someone comes along who can help specifically. I'll just say that it is so good you are noticing the fact that Utopia may be too similar to MCD - Shows that you are considering the complexity of your argument! ;D for the two texts you are unsure of, this guide may be worth a read, and this list of suggested ORT's should give you more ideas if you need them ;D

Neilab

• Forum Regular
  • School: Riverside Girls High School
« Reply #1333 on: January 26, 2017, 03:31:51 pm »
I was just wondering if memorising essays was an okay way of approaching an english task? I did this all through year 11 and even in my AOS study task... always getting over 90% on my essays! But this was only because I was lucky that the question was suitable for my memorised essay... I am scared that i'll reach an assessment where this is not the case! What are some other methods?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1334 on: January 26, 2017, 03:47:46 pm »
I was just wondering if memorising essays was an okay way of approaching an english task? I did this all through year 11 and even in my AOS study task... always getting over 90% on my essays! But this was only because I was lucky that the question was suitable for my memorised essay... I am scared that i'll reach an assessment where this is not the case! What are some other methods?

Hey! Big debate that one - Elyse and I took different approaches to it:

- Here is an article on memorising essays!
- Here is an article against it.

Pretty much, if you aren't memorising, you need to be memorising evidence (kind of like you would for Legal). Quotes, techniques, audience impacts, context stuff - Anything you could use in an essay. You remember that stuff and just write using it on the day.

You can even go in between - Memorise an introduction but not your paragraphs, for example. No reason it needs to be completely 'one or the other' ;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:31:06 pm by jamonwindeyer »