Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:39:31 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568013 times)  Share 

kassidyfisher

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Gosford High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #345 on: October 24, 2016, 11:57:45 pm »
Hello! I am doing a past paper (I have only really just started studying for legal- as I have been swamped with my other exams- but I have written up all my summary notes so I now just have to memorise and practicee...) 
And this question,'How effective are legal measures within the criminal justice system in achieving
justice for individuals? Refer to at least ONE current criminal justice issue to support your response. ' , is confusing me. I really don't know what a current issue within the criminal justice system would be? I mean aren't most of them current? This is probably a really dumb question.
Also, how many cases, legislation and media ect would you recommend memorising?
Thanks,
Kass

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #346 on: October 25, 2016, 12:13:18 am »
Hello! I am doing a past paper (I have only really just started studying for legal- as I have been swamped with my other exams- but I have written up all my summary notes so I now just have to memorise and practicee...) 
And this question,'How effective are legal measures within the criminal justice system in achieving
justice for individuals? Refer to at least ONE current criminal justice issue to support your response. ' , is confusing me. I really don't know what a current issue within the criminal justice system would be? I mean aren't most of them current? This is probably a really dumb question.
Also, how many cases, legislation and media ect would you recommend memorising?
Thanks,
Kass

Hey Kass! That's a bit of a strange one; what paper is that from?

It doesn't really have any grounding in the syllabus is what's weird about this, but an example of how I'd interpret that would be terrorism. Right now, a very contentious legal issue that is causing lots of discussion, spurring lots of law changes, and seeing quite a few investigations and prosecutions. Therefore, it's an issue you could discuss. So I suppose I intepret it in a grand sense; what is something the legal system is dealing with/adapting to in the current climate? :)

Essej

• Forum Regular
  • "Don't settle for good. Strive for great".
« Reply #347 on: October 25, 2016, 12:14:34 am »
Thanks Essej ! :D and also if i talk about the two points you mentioned, how would i incorporate it in my essay, like what body paragraph/idea would it be under?

So you could definitely place protection of children in its own paragraph, stating something like "the legal system makes sufficient/ineffective attempts to meet its obligations under the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child through..." and sustain your judgement throughout :)

Not too sure about bail to be honest  :-\ - if you structure your paragraphs based on effectiveness/ineffectiveness then it really could go under any, but you have to ensure your stance is clear; have the bail laws now achieved justice for victims of DV? Or is it a limitation of the legal system that such social backlash from incidents of DV (murder of TVK) are required in order for the law evolve and ensure just outcomes for victims?

Hope this helps  ;D
Class of 2016
------------------------
English Advanced: 93
Legal Studies: 96
Economics: 93
Business Studies: 92
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 93

2016 ATAR: 98.75

kassidyfisher

• Adventurer
  • School: Gosford High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #348 on: October 25, 2016, 12:20:22 am »
Hey Kass! That's a bit of a strange one; what paper is that from?

It doesn't really have any grounding in the syllabus is what's weird about this, but an example of how I'd interpret that would be terrorism. Right now, a very contentious legal issue that is causing lots of discussion, spurring lots of law changes, and seeing quite a few investigations and prosecutions. Therefore, it's an issue you could discuss. So I suppose I intepret it in a grand sense; what is something the legal system is dealing with/adapting to in the current climate? :)

It is from the 2010 HSC Paper .... I thought so too! I struggled because I thought it was strange.. maybe it was from an older syllabus? The sample answer said victims rights/ appeals/ prosecuting white collar crime counted as a current issue.... mmmm may disregard this question before it just confuses me more hah

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #349 on: October 25, 2016, 12:33:32 am »

It is from the 2010 HSC Paper .... I thought so too! I struggled because I thought it was strange.. maybe it was from an older syllabus? The sample answer said victims rights/ appeals/ prosecuting white collar crime counted as a current issue.... mmmm may disregard this question before it just confuses me more hah

Ahhh yep, that explains it, old syllabus. It changed the next year (I think), so while that question does make for good practice; use it with a grain of salt. They can't ask it anymore ;D

Elenaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #350 on: October 25, 2016, 02:28:06 pm »
So you could definitely place protection of children in its own paragraph, stating something like "the legal system makes sufficient/ineffective attempts to meet its obligations under the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child through..." and sustain your judgement throughout :)

Not too sure about bail to be honest  :-\ - if you structure your paragraphs based on effectiveness/ineffectiveness then it really could go under any, but you have to ensure your stance is clear; have the bail laws now achieved justice for victims of DV? Or is it a limitation of the legal system that such social backlash from incidents of DV (murder of TVK) are required in order for the law evolve and ensure just outcomes for victims?

Hope this helps  ;D

Thankyou so much !!  :)

caninesandy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #351 on: October 25, 2016, 10:42:42 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am a little confused between the differences between robber and larceny.... could someone please help differentiate the two? :)
Thank you! :D
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you."

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #352 on: October 26, 2016, 07:24:29 am »
Hi everyone,

I am a little confused between the differences between robber and larceny.... could someone please help differentiate the two? :)
Thank you! :D

I'm a bit rusty, but I believe that robbery has the use of forced, whereas a larceny doesn't. If the use of force is assisted by a weapon (this could be anything from a screw driver to a gun) then it is classes as armed robbery :)

Larceny - without force
Robbery - force without weapon
Armed robbery - force with weapon

^ All involve the taking of someone else's property :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #353 on: October 26, 2016, 09:07:08 am »
I'm a bit rusty, but I believe that robbery has the use of forced, whereas a larceny doesn't. If the use of force is assisted by a weapon (this could be anything from a screw driver to a gun) then it is classes as armed robbery :)

Larceny - without force

Can vouch, that's 100% correct ;D

caninesandy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #354 on: October 26, 2016, 09:43:12 am »

Larceny - without force

Thank you :D My teacher told me that robbery was stealing directly off a person, while larceny was stealing not off the person? I have had a little look in the NSW crimes act 1900 and it did say that:
Whosoever:
robs or assaults with intent to rob any person, or
steals any chattel, money, or valuable security from the person of
another,
shall, except where a greater punishment is provided by this Act, be
liable to imprisonment for fourteen years.

"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you."

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #355 on: October 26, 2016, 10:12:24 am »
+1
Thank you :D My teacher told me that robbery was stealing directly off a person, while larceny was stealing not off the person? I have had a little look in the NSW crimes act 1900 and it did say that:
Whosoever:
robs or assaults with intent to rob any person, or
steals any chattel, money, or valuable security from the person of
another,
shall, except where a greater punishment is provided by this Act, be
liable to imprisonment for fourteen years.

That's the same interpretation, because if you want you want to take from someone directly, you require the use of force! ;D

caninesandy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #356 on: October 26, 2016, 11:56:05 am »
That's the same interpretation, because if you want you want to take from someone directly, you require the use of force! ;D

oh...but what if you pick-pocket someone?  :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #357 on: October 26, 2016, 01:13:42 pm »
oh...but what if you pick-pocket someone?  :D

It's a little complex in NSW; you'll find explicit definitions of robbery in other states specify the use of force. NSW kind of distinguishes that as well, but they do also distinguish pickpocketing (stealing from the person) from larceny too. So it's a complicated one :P

Don't stress too much about this by the way, the HSC won't push a little subtlety in definition like this ;D it's great that you are considering it though!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #358 on: October 26, 2016, 02:16:41 pm »

Don't stress too much about this by the way, the HSC won't push a little subtlety in definition like this ;D it's great that you are considering it though!

Exactly - larceny, robbery, armed robbery are all you need to know. My half yearly described a scenario of an armed robbery and asked us to select which suited it properly. They wouldn't go into small things that are basically synonymous :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

juanmata

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #359 on: October 26, 2016, 05:49:54 pm »
Hey Elyse, i was just wondering how to fully prepare for the option topics. The questions are scattered and are too specific (from past papers), how should i approach the option questions?