Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 03:28:10 pm

Author Topic: How much will punctuation effect your final study score in english?  (Read 683 times)  Share 

Nicolisd

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Hi guys, I am sorry if this has been asked before.

I suck at punctuation, I mainly have difficulty with commas. I'm not terrible but I am not good either when it comes to using them. I was wondering how much this will effect my performance and marks I will get on my exam. If it will effect it at all

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
Re: How much will punctuation effect your final study score in english?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 12:13:03 pm »
+1
Hi guys, I am sorry if this has been asked before.

I suck at punctuation, I mainly have difficulty with commas. I'm not terrible but I am not good either when it comes to using them. I was wondering how much this will effect my performance and marks I will get on my exam. If it will effect it at all
Hi there!

Punctuation won't directly affect your mark much, but if your piece is really unclear and confusing to read, it can be tough for the assessors to give you marks for your ideas.

As a general rule, use commas whenever you would naturally pause when reading a sentence aloud.

^see the above two sentences ;) If you were reading these out, you'd likely have a little pause in the places where the commas are.

But this is a fairly minor concern unless it's reeeeally impeding clarity (i.e. to the point where the assessors are like 'I've got no clue what you're saying here') - the quality of your writing, including things like vocab and sentence structure, only tends to sway the mark by a point or two, so don'y stress! :)