Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:35:32 pm

Author Topic: Course Help - Flight attendant  (Read 2058 times)  Share 

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Course Help - Flight attendant
« on: January 11, 2017, 08:10:57 pm »
I really want to become a flight attendant after high school however, there really isn't a specific Bachelor course at university directly related to the career. I really want to complete at least a bachelors at university in order to really get the edge and have a higher chance at being a flight attendant.

Does anybody know any bachelor courses at university that will assist me in order to become a FA?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Course Help - Flight attendant
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 09:27:41 pm »
+3
I really want to become a flight attendant after high school however, there really isn't a specific Bachelor course at university directly related to the career. I really want to complete at least a bachelors at university in order to really get the edge and have a higher chance at being a flight attendant.

Does anybody know any bachelor courses at university that will assist me in order to become a FA?

Hey! Welcome to the forums! :)

As far as I know. flight attendants become qualified through courses handled by the airline themselves, or by other private bodies. A bachelor isn't going to be directly required, and in that way, it might not have the largest bearing on your employability in that sector later (or it might, I'm truly not sure). If you really want to do a Bachelor, pick something that will enhance the sort of skills that a flight attendant uses. Communication skills would probably be a big one. I think it would be what you learn along the way that would increase your employability - I'd wager the piece of paper you get at the end wouldn't matter too much. Maybe a Bachelor of Arts? Lots of room to focus on things that suit you in that degree ;D

(No direct knowledge, just two cents, happy to be corrected) :)

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 10:52:33 pm »
+1
I know a bit about the aviation industry because I'm interested in it (not in a working sense)-my dad was a pilot and I have a cousin who is a flight attendant.

As Jamon mentioned, there isn't a specific degree to become a flight attendant and that you have to apply to an airline first. A university degree is definitely advantageous (at times required) if you want to get into a prestigious airline like Emirates, Singapore or Cathay Pacific (those are the I ones that I know that like uni degrees). It's possible to work at at one of those airlines without one but you probably have to get experience at a small airline first (my cousin did that). I think that university degrees gives the impression that you are more intellectual, worldly and have more time to explore personal development). Choose a degree in an area that you like (even better if it provides you with a backup career), it doesn't really matter. From what I've read elsewhere Emirates have flight attendants that have studied Medicine, Law, Commerce, Science, Arts and more (I sense that many see it as a short- term 2-3 year career just to pursue their interest in the aviation industry). If you have no preference, commerce (good for back-up careers or if you would like to move into other roles within the aviation industry) or arts (broaden your perspectives) degree are probably  good choices.

A few things about the aviation industry you should keep in mind when choosing a degree (if you choose to go to uni):
- Unfortunately the industry falls pretty hard in tough economic times, demand for unnecessary travel drops significantly. Many airlines retrench staff, or even worse, merge with other airlines or close shop all together (if they don't get bailed out by the government). The costs of running an airline are really high. Something similar happened to my dad's airline, a lot of people (including him)- support staff, pilots and flight attendants loss their jobs, for most of them it was their livelihoods at stake because they weren't qualified or prepared to do anything else (my dad never worked after that).
- Quite a number of airlines (especially many prestigious ones based in Asia and Middle East) have discriminatory rules for flight attendants (I can understand though) regarding age, gender (female) and appearances. It isn't a lifelong or long-term career for
many as a result.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:33:07 pm by appleandbee »
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 12:29:51 am »
Thanks for the tips! I do believe that choosing a degree in communications would give me the best chance in regards to getting accepted by a prestigious airline however, I feel as if I were to get a degree there and not get accepted by an airline, I would have wasted a degree since I don't want to pursue other careers that require it. My backup plan is Oral Health; it's a rather specific degree in which I can instantly start working after I graduate. However I feel that if I were to pursue in Oral Health, I probably would not cope with a part time job in retail; experience in this would benefit my chances in becoming a flight attendant.

My overall initial plan was to get a degree that could help a flight attendant (communication) while working a part time job in retail that could ultimately look good on my resume due to customer service, however I feel this may be a gamble if I don't get a job in a prestigious airline.