Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 08:26:58 pm

Author Topic: Major help - Science  (Read 1426 times)  Share 

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Major help - Science
« on: December 06, 2016, 02:08:16 am »
Hey guys,

I've been doing a Bachelor of Science since 2015 and just completed my second year (of three). I'm at my wit's end trying to decide on my major yet again. I'm hoping that the AN community can help me sort this out.

Background
I studied first year Bio and Chem. I fared better in Chem due to my VCE background (and conversely, lack thereof in Bio). As a result, I stuck to Biology and, after much debate, decided on Genetics as my major for 2016, due to my overall positive experience with it. I also thought that I'd double minor in Molecular Biology (it was recommended by the uni as an accompaniment to Genetics) and Chemistry. This year (2016), I completed the Molecular Biology minor.
Now that results have come out, I am starting to question what I should major in. The only thing I have decided for certain is that I will definitely complete the Chem minor requirements in 2017, regardless of the pathway I take. I do also want the option to be able to do Honours, if/ where possible and am mostly sure that I will end up doing it if I can. 

Choices
1. Genetics
This was my Plan A coming into 2016, but with falling results, I'm no longer sure about this pathway. I chose it out of interest, rather than skill, and it's backfired on me this year. I still have a lot of interest, but I do not have the talent for it. On the positive side, I do like the Honours projects they've had in the past and majority of the people there (I did a Winter Research Scholarship).
2. Biochemistry
This is a new option I've discovered through the Science Student Services. It turns out my Molecular Biology minor could also turn into a Biochemistry major. The units are not all that appealing to me, but I have been relatively consistent in Molecular Biology. I feel like I might be able to do better in it, but it is a risk and I'm not sure whether I want to take it. I don't feel as if I like the recent Honours projects as much, but the content comes a little more naturally to me. It is probably worth considering.
3. Go part time and major in Chemistry
This is also a new option, but my least favourite of the three. Chemistry encompasses my best units in my whole uni degree thus far, so it kind of makes sense to major in it. I still have quite a bit of interest, but nowhere near as much as genetics, and I have relative skill in it. My only drawbacks are that I just don't see myself pursuing Chemistry much further than a Bachelor degree and I don't like the idea of going part time. So far, I haven't completed the second year units for it, so that's why this option takes longer. I also fear for my mental health for this option. I know that going part time will either make me idle or overload on part time work, both of which would wind up detrimental to me.     

Question is: which one should I major in? Do I follow my interests (but ironically, I'm not that good in) [Genetics], do what I'm better at, but lack interest in [Biochemistry] or should I even try Chemistry?

Thanks in advance.

Note: I know that results should not be dictating my decisions, but as a guide to fix my mistakes. I've only used them now as indicators, rather than deciders.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:52:16 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Ask Monash University

• Official Representative of Monash University
  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
  • Respect: +14
Re: Major help - Science
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 10:01:35 am »
Hey guys,

I've been doing a Bachelor of Science since 2015 and just completed my second year (of three). I'm at my wit's end trying to decide on my major yet again. I'm hoping that the AN community can help me sort this out.

Background
I studied first year Bio and Chem. I fared better in Chem due to my VCE background (and conversely, lack thereof in Bio). As a result, I stuck to Biology and, after much debate, decided on Genetics as my major for 2016, due to my overall positive experience with it. I also thought that I'd double minor in Molecular Biology (it was recommended by the uni as an accompaniment to Genetics) and Chemistry. This year (2016), I completed the Molecular Biology minor.
Now that results have come out, I am starting to question what I should major in. The only thing I have decided for certain is that I will definitely complete the Chem minor requirements in 2017, regardless of the pathway I take. I do also want the option to be able to do Honours, if/ where possible and am mostly sure that I will end up doing it if I can. 

Choices
1. Genetics
This was my Plan A coming into 2016, but with falling results, I'm no longer sure about this pathway. I chose it out of interest, rather than skill, and it's backfired on me this year. I still have a lot of interest, but I do not have the talent for it. On the positive side, I do like the Honours projects they've had in the past and majority of the people there (I did a Winter Research Scholarship).
2. Biochemistry
This is a new option I've discovered through the Science Student Services. It turns out my Molecular Biology minor could also turn into a Biochemistry major. The units are not all that appealing to me, but I have been relatively consistent in Molecular Biology. I feel like I might be able to do better in it, but it is a risk and I'm not sure whether I want to take it. I don't feel as if I like the recent Honours projects as much, but the content comes a little more naturally to me. It is probably worth considering.
3. Go part time and major in Chemistry
This is also a new option, but my least favourite of the three. Chemistry encompasses my best units in my whole uni degree thus far, so it kind of makes sense to major in it. I still have quite a bit of interest, but nowhere near as much as genetics, and I have relative skill in it. My only drawbacks are that I just don't see myself pursuing Chemistry much further than a Bachelor degree and I don't like the idea of going part time. So far, I haven't completed the second year units for it, so that's why this option takes longer. I also fear for my mental health for this option. I know that going part time will either make me idle or overload on part time work, both of which would wind up detrimental to me.     

Question is: which one should I major in? Do I follow my interests (but ironically, I'm not that good in) [Genetics], do what I'm better at, but lack interest in [Biochemistry] or should I even try Chemistry?

Thanks in advance.

Note: I know that results should not be dictating my decisions, but as a guide to fix my mistakes. I've only used them now as indicators, rather than deciders.

Hi AngelWings

It's always tough trying to decide on a major - but you don't have to do it on your own. You can contact Science Student Services for course advice and major selection. A science course adviser can also refer you to the appropriate study co-ordinators in the teaching schools for academic and career advice. Make an appointment with a science careers counsellor through their Careers Gateway as well - they'll be happy to offer advice.
Monash University ATAR Notes team. For more information about Monash and our courses visit study.monash

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Major help - Science
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 01:08:19 pm »
Well, look - how bad is bad when it comes to your generics scores? Are you still getting the scores for honours?

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how "good" you are at something - if you do it and aren't interested, you will not be happy. Particularly if you want to do honours - honours is such a tough experience that doing it in something you don't love (even just interest is going to make it that much harder) you will struggle.

If your end goal is honours, I reckon you stick with genetics unless your scores just aren't good enough to get into it. At that point, maybe see if you can find a way to combine biochemistry and genetics.