Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 03:10:05 pm

Author Topic: Double degree help!  (Read 2262 times)  Share 

Teba

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Double degree help!
« on: November 13, 2016, 07:23:50 pm »
Hey guys,
So i am highly considering Eng/Biomed double degree at Monash university. I am equally interested in these degrees and saw a double degree as a good opportunity to take. However, i am worried that the workload will be too much and it may be too hard. I still want to work and earn money while studying so can i still do that when taking this double degree?

extremeftw

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +25
Re: Double degree help!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 03:32:28 pm »
 The workload for a double degree is no more than a single degree. You do the same number of units per semester and generally it just takes an extra year to finish a double degree vs a single degree. In fact, my double degree actually has less workload than if I were doing a single economics degree because Arts units require very little work relative to economics units (in my experience!)

So yes, if you are capable of working in a single degree, then working part time in a double degree won't be any harder.

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 02:54:46 pm »
So yes, if you are capable of working in a single degree, then working part time in a double degree won't be any harder.

Actually, it can be easier! Doing single engineering is way harder than doing engineering + commerce (in my opinion) because you only have 3 engineering subjects (which are pretty full on), opposed to 4 of them. Commerce subjects are usually more laid back.

However, I can't speak for BioMed, and from what people say, its as hard as engineering. So, I imagine you'll be doing a wide spread of things in Eng/BioMed compared to just a single degree which would obviously be more concentrated. It's down to you whether that interests you.

Please let me know if you have any engineering questions!
2015: VCE
2016: BCivEng(Hons)/BCom at MU

Feel free to PM me for your engineering queries

Ask Monash University

• Official Representative of Monash University
  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 02:03:13 pm »
Hey guys,
So i am highly considering Eng/Biomed double degree at Monash university. I am equally interested in these degrees and saw a double degree as a good opportunity to take. However, i am worried that the workload will be too much and it may be too hard. I still want to work and earn money while studying so can i still do that when taking this double degree?

Hi Teba,

The Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) and Bachelor of Biomedical Science is a 5 year double degree which involves 4 units per semester (or 8 units per year). The minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this most units is 144 hours per semester, typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Although you will be two degrees at the time, the workload commitments will be the same and the course duration will be extended.

Both Engineering and Biomedical Science units tend to involve a few hours of lectures and practical work per week where you will need to be on-campus. This would be quite different when compared to a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Commerce student where there are less contact hours, but more independent study required. You can view the individual unit requirements in the Course Map (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2017handbooks/maps/map-e3004.pdf)  and 2017 Handbook (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/courses/M2003.html).

Some students are able to work part-time whilst studying, although this will depend on the individual circumstance of the student. If you feel that the workload is too much at any time, you can choose to complete less units per semester, thus extending the full course duration. Please consult with a course advisor about this option before you enrol into units. We hope the information helps.
Monash University ATAR Notes team. For more information about Monash and our courses visit study.monash