Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:21:34 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1236967 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #720 on: September 29, 2016, 11:56:05 pm »
how do you develop a thesis?

Also with a thesis what do we include in a thesis to make it a strong one?

Moderator Edit: Merged posts, you can use the 'Modify' button to the top right of your post to add to an unanswered question :)

Hey Mary! You might want to give this article a read, it's for the AoS, but it's a good place to get some tips on what constitutes a good Thesis! What you include will depend on the module, so it would serve you well to read up on the rubrics, it acts as a good checklist :) besides this, your best bet is probably to post an introduction from a Module (here or in the marking thread) and we can let you know what we think! :)

fizzy.123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #721 on: October 01, 2016, 12:38:07 am »
Hi!
What is the best way to structure out the discovery essay? my current structure is:
Intro
Para 1: Idea 1 - PT
Para 2: Idea 1 - RT
Para 3: Idea 2 - PT
Para 4: Idea 2 - RT
Conc

Recently, people have been telling me that the stronger essays follow a similar structure as the one below:
Intro
Para 1: Idea 1 - PT & RT
Para 2: Idea 2 - PT & RT
Para 3: Idea 3 - PT & RT
Conc

This is because a better comparison can be made between the two texts. Is this true?

vyca

• Trailblazer
« Reply #722 on: October 01, 2016, 02:22:13 pm »
This is a Q for Elyse or anyone who studied Richard III, could I have the line "unless to see my shadow in the sun.” explained from the opening soliloquy? thankyou

milkteaOO

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #723 on: October 01, 2016, 10:04:05 pm »
Does anyone have any tips for picking a good related text? Thank you!! :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #724 on: October 02, 2016, 10:38:15 am »
Hi!
What is the best way to structure out the discovery essay? my current structure is:
Intro
Para 1: Idea 1 - PT
Para 2: Idea 1 - RT
Para 3: Idea 2 - PT
Para 4: Idea 2 - RT
Conc

Recently, people have been telling me that the stronger essays follow a similar structure as the one below:
Intro
Para 1: Idea 1 - PT & RT
Para 2: Idea 2 - PT & RT
Para 3: Idea 3 - PT & RT
Conc

This is because a better comparison can be made between the two texts. Is this true?

It truly depends here, I can't give a definitive answer as to what is better simply because it so much comes down to your writing style and content of the paragraphs. My structure was more similar to the second. But, that's not to say your original structure isn't great. The reason that people suggest the second structure is best is because integrated essays usually are better - but it doesn't mean you have to integrate the texts, but rather the ideas. So you can still use your structure, and then in the related texts paragraphs, link to the prescribed text by saying, "a motif is also used in **** to bring together the notion of **** as is seen in the prescribed text." So linking your ideas even in separate paragraphs can be really powerful!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #725 on: October 02, 2016, 10:52:44 am »
This is a Q for Elyse or anyone who studied Richard III, could I have the line "unless to see my shadow in the sun.” explained from the opening soliloquy? thankyou

This is what I wrote in my essay!:

"As society continues to grow and alter in its course the basic nature of human defiance persists.  Shakespeare’s King Richard III opens with an eloquent soliloquy as the protagonist establishes his intention of defiance against the notion of providentialism. The soliloquy incorporates a prophetic pun, “unless to see my shadow in the sun.” As the play opens in “the winter of our discontent” because of the Yorkist ascension to the throne, Richard duplicitously aims to defy the divinely appointed King and aims to cast his “shadow” over this apparent royal “sun.”

and here is how it is reshaped in Pacino's text!

"To be true to the parent text, Pacino uses the dialogue of the wooing Lady Anne scene, a part of Richard’s plan to defy the Tudor Myth. However, to appeal to his own audience, he fuses the originality of the character’s encounter with seraphic non-diagetic music to allude to Richard’s self-perceived divinity. Furthermore, the chiaroscuro lighting is a direct reflection of the duplicitous nature of Richard and the ongoing symbolic metaphor of the sun and shadow. Pacino embodies the defiance of Richard III as he enhances the originality of the text with filmic visual stimuli in order to enhance the modern understanding and appreciation of King Richard III that we share."
You can download my essay for free here! if you wish :)

Essentially, it's a pun that works with the "winter of our discontent" but also the play on words of sun/son that relates to the Tudor Monarch.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #726 on: October 02, 2016, 10:53:44 am »
Does anyone have any tips for picking a good related text? Thank you!! :)

Hey there! This here might give you some good ideas! I wrote this earlier in the year :)

milkteaOO

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #727 on: October 02, 2016, 02:53:53 pm »
Hey there! This here might give you some good ideas! I wrote this earlier in the year :)

Thank you so much! :) I was also wondering if there was any way to get essay marking without posting the essay publicly?

vyca

• Trailblazer
« Reply #728 on: October 02, 2016, 05:36:15 pm »
Hi! I'm having trouble differentiating between an idiom and cliche, like which would "as hard as nails" be?

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #729 on: October 02, 2016, 06:41:05 pm »
Hi! I'm having trouble differentiating between an idiom and cliche, like which would "as hard as nails" be?

As hard as nails would be a simile (because similies are using comparisons by using "like" or "as")

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #730 on: October 02, 2016, 06:47:57 pm »
See above for your example.

An idiom is just something that sounds 'idiotic'. It doesn't make sense at all in a literal sense; only has value in hindsight.
A cliche is a saying that gets overused.

You can have some phrase (or clause) that's both an idiom and a cliche, such as "actions speak louder than words".

angiezhang9

• Trailblazer
  • School: arden
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #731 on: October 02, 2016, 11:06:05 pm »
Hey :)

I am writing my essays with three points/themes and integrating both texts within one paragraph. eg. Discovery is transformative (then including a discussion of both my core and related text in that paragraph)

I was wondering if I still needed to include specific links such as "similar to Raye's discovery of compassion, related shows ...
Or is it ok to not include these linking phrases because they are talking about the same theme. Let me know if this doesn't make any sense

Thanks

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #732 on: October 03, 2016, 09:38:36 am »
+1

I am writing my essays with three points/themes and integrating both texts within one paragraph. eg. Discovery is transformative (then including a discussion of both my core and related text in that paragraph)

I was wondering if I still needed to include specific links such as "similar to Raye's discovery of compassion, related shows ...
Or is it ok to not include these linking phrases because they are talking about the same theme. Let me know if this doesn't make any sense

Thanks

Specific links between the texts can't hurt at all! Without reading your essay I would say that its better to make it plain and obvious to the marker that you are showing the similarities or contrasts between the texts, sometimes this isn't clear in lower range responses even if the paragraphs are integrated. But if you're confident that you're integrating clearly, use linking words like, "Similarly" or "Contrastingly" etc. without the little explanation like you had above.  :)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #733 on: October 03, 2016, 10:01:19 am »
+1

Thanks

Just to support what ssarahj said, my teacher told me it's super important to link with references to specific details of the core text. It just makes it a lot clearer for the marker, and there's always the off chance they're really tired and its late etc. I'm sure you've heard that analogy before - it just makes it easier. That said, however, my essay isn't integrated. So maybe if you have an integrated response it would be different :)

angiezhang9

• Trailblazer
  • School: arden
« Reply #734 on: October 03, 2016, 10:25:47 am »
+1
Specific links between the texts can't hurt at all! Without reading your essay I would say that its better to make it plain and obvious to the marker that you are showing the similarities or contrasts between the texts, sometimes this isn't clear in lower range responses even if the paragraphs are integrated. But if you're confident that you're integrating clearly, use linking words like, "Similarly" or "Contrastingly" etc. without the little explanation like you had above.  :)

Thanks so much Sarah and Birdwing341 :) I agree that clear links would make it clearer for the marker and it doesn't hurt to put some in

Also, I have a question about AOS Section 1 (reading section)

For the last extended response question, can we use the same analysis as we used for the earlier short response questions? I read a band 5/6 response on the Board of studies website (2015) and they have reused their analysis. here is the link to the website if you wanted to have a look http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/stds-matl/english-std-advanced-paper-1/english-standard-advanced-15-paper1-q1-band-56-sample2.pdf

And, For trials, our AOS essay question was "discoveries have the power to transform".

As I am doing Go Back to where you came from, should I discuss two characters that have obviously transformed (eg. Raye and Adam) or should I show how one character has transformed drastically eg. Raye whilst another character has transformed in a limited way e.g.. Darren.

After trials, my teacher commented that it would be hard to analyse darren in this question. But i feel like it adds a greater depth of analysis. What do you think?

Moderator Action: Posts merged :) You can "modify" an original post if you think of another thing to ask in quick succession :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 03:17:02 pm by elysepopplewell »