Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:42:40 am

Author Topic: I can't concentrate in exams  (Read 1364 times)  Share 

excelsiorxlcr

I can't concentrate in exams
« on: September 30, 2016, 12:57:25 pm »
+2
Hi, so I'm doing methods and music performance this year for my 3/4s. The problem is that I can't seem to concentrate whenever I do practice exams. As I am doing the exam, I always think 'Ugh I can't be bothered doing this'. I was like this at the start of holidays too, and I genuinely thought I was burnt out, which I probably was. So I took a few days completely off, then started studying more intensely. 25 prac exams later and my mind still wanders a lot when I do practice exams.

So what I'm asking is, should I try and push myself to really concentrate for the full 2 hours, or when I start to feel really apathetic and burnt out when I am doing an exam, should I take a break? Have any of you experienced this? Will my problem get better the more exams I do (i.e. do I actually have to 'train' my brain to concentrate for the full 2 hours without burning out), or worse (will I feel more burnt out the more full exams I do)?

I am definitely taking breaks between exams and stuff.

Do any of you have the problem of your mind wandering to different places when you are doing an exam? What do you do to combat it? Do you have any tips to improve concentration and single-mindedness in exams? I have been trying to meditate a lot to practise focusing on one thing.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 01:45:56 am by Emma V »

tim.wells

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
Re: I can't concentrate in exams
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 01:12:16 pm »
+4
Hi excelsiorxlcr,

It sounds like you are putting a lot of effort into your studies, so I think it's good that you are being mindful of getting burnt out.

Losing concentration during exams is very normal, so try not stress too much about that (easier said than done, I know). There are, however, things you can practise to try and minimise loss of concentration. One thing I recommend is when doing practise questions, giving yourself 10 minutes to dedicate completely to the question, and once that 10 minutes is up, you can stop focusing so hard, and go and do something else. If you practise this a bit, try and each time concentrate 5 minutes longer than you did the last time, and this can help build your stamina up.

Another thing I recommend which can be extremely helpful, is giving yourself time each day to exercise. Getting your heart rate up and thinking about something else for 30mins to an hour can really help hone in your focus when you go back to studying. Even now at uni, if I haven't exercised for a couple of days I really struggle to focus, so that's when I know to give myself a break.

You're also doing the right thing by meditating which can also be helpful. I think the key is to go easy on yourself, and don't get frustrated if you are struggling to concentrate, it's very natural and it happens to everyone. I also think you'll find that when you are in the real exam, your adrenaline will be pumping the entire time, making it very hard to lose focus.

I know these tips sound basic, but it's really the basics which I find helpful when I'm getting stressed/burnt out.
Tim Wells

Law undergrad at Monash University

ATAR- 99.20
English Tutor - English (48), Literature (47), Australian History (47), Economics (45), Legal Studies (38), Maths Methods (31)

Get more answers for your questions as well as weekly tips and blog posts, from my friends and I at:

HSC - http://bit.ly/HSChelp
VCE - http://bit.ly/VCEhelp

Hydroxyl

• Trendsetter
  • Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  • Respect: +8
Re: I can't concentrate in exams
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 11:45:31 pm »
Hi excelsiorxlcr,

It sounds like you are putting a lot of effort into your studies, so I think it's good that you are being mindful of getting burnt out.

Losing concentration during exams is very normal, so try not stress too much about that (easier said than done, I know). There are, however, things you can practise to try and minimise loss of concentration. One thing I recommend is when doing practise questions, giving yourself 10 minutes to dedicate completely to the question, and once that 10 minutes is up, you can stop focusing so hard, and go and do something else. If you practise this a bit, try and each time concentrate 5 minutes longer than you did the last time, and this can help build your stamina up.

Another thing I recommend which can be extremely helpful, is giving yourself time each day to exercise. Getting your heart rate up and thinking about something else for 30mins to an hour can really help hone in your focus when you go back to studying. Even now at uni, if I haven't exercised for a couple of days I really struggle to focus, so that's when I know to give myself a break.

You're also doing the right thing by meditating which can also be helpful. I think the key is to go easy on yourself, and don't get frustrated if you are struggling to concentrate, it's very natural and it happens to everyone. I also think you'll find that when you are in the real exam, your adrenaline will be pumping the entire time, making it very hard to lose focus.

I know these tips sound basic, but it's really the basics which I find helpful when I'm getting stressed/burnt out.

These tips are amazing! I know I'm not the original poster but these are helpful :)
2016: Biology [41] | Further Mathematics [42]
2017: Chemistry [36] | Mathematical Methods [38] | English [44] | Psychology [50 + Premier's Award]
ATAR: 98.25
2018 - 2020: Bachelor of Science (Psychology) — The University of Melbourne
2021-2024: Doctor of Medicine — Griffith University (Gold Coast)
~ My Success is only from Allah ~