Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:03:05 pm

Author Topic: Controversial Issue: Gay Marriage  (Read 39761 times)  Share 

Truck

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +122
  • School: who needs school when you got SWAG?
Re: Controversial Issue: Gay Marriage
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2011, 06:37:43 pm »
This argument can go on for decades, People's emotions and Life decisions are involved...

I consider myself to be very religious and fail to understand how two people of the same sex can be together let alone get married. But that is my opinion, what I have an issue is with people bad mouthing religion and blaming religion and religious traditions for homosexuals/homosexual marriages not be accepted! 

Oh please, don't start another bloody religious debate.

What's your problem with religion dude? And I didn't start a debate I was just saying my two cents worth, I didn't know I had to get your permission. 

So because you're religious, other people can't do what they want? It's not even a matter of whether or not you believe it's natural, it's the simple fact that two consenting adults should be able to do what they like without anybody else imposing their medieval beliefs upon them. So long as it doesn't negatively affect anybody else in the community I don't see the issue. You're not the one getting married to a man, so again, why does it matter?

Paul, marriage is no longer a religious institution. Since the Government started marrying people and as the act of marriage is in more than one religion (Judaism, Christianity, Islam etc) you can't use that as an excuse. If secular people can get married then homosexuals should be able too as well.

You should read dude, all I said is "I have an issue is with people bad mouthing religion and blaming religion and religious traditions for homosexuals/homosexual marriages not be accepted"

I didn't say they shouldn't get married, I didn't say I'm the one that's getting married nor!

You said "fail to understand how two people of the same sex can be together let alone get married." The implication of that being that you're against homosexuality because you wouldn't be gay yourself. If you didn't want me to think you were against gay marriage then you shouldn't have written that in...

Religious people are the primary opposition to the recognition of homosexual civil rights, hence why religion is often badmouthed in these situations.
#yolo #thuglife #swaggotandproud

Inspirations: Mahtama Ghandi, T-Pain, The Caped Crusader and Ayn Rand.

knightstarr17

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2011, 06:46:30 pm »
This argument can go on for decades, People's emotions and Life decisions are involved...

I consider myself to be very religious and fail to understand how two people of the same sex can be together let alone get married. But that is my opinion, what I have an issue is with people bad mouthing religion and blaming religion and religious traditions for homosexuals/homosexual marriages not be accepted! 

What's your problem with religion dude? And I didn't start a debate I was just saying my two cents worth, I didn't know I had to get your permission. 

So because you're religious, other people can't do what they want? It's not even a matter of whether or not you believe it's natural, it's the simple fact that two consenting adults should be able to do what they like without anybody else imposing their medieval beliefs upon them. So long as it doesn't negatively affect anybody else in the community I don't see the issue. You're not the one getting married to a man, so again, why does it matter?

Paul, marriage is no longer a religious institution. Since the Government started marrying people and as the act of marriage is in more than one religion (Judaism, Christianity, Islam etc) you can't use that as an excuse. If secular people can get married then homosexuals should be able too as well.

You should read dude, all I said is "I have an issue is with people bad mouthing religion and blaming religion and religious traditions for homosexuals/homosexual marriages not be accepted"

I didn't say they shouldn't get married, I didn't say I'm the one that's getting married nor!

You said "fail to understand how two people of the same sex can be together let alone get married." The implication of that being that you're against homosexuality because you wouldn't be gay yourself. If you didn't want me to think you were against gay marriage then you shouldn't have written that in...

Religious people are the primary opposition to the recognition of homosexual civil rights, hence why religion is often badmouthed in these situations.

I can understand how you might have thought I was against homosexuals, but I'm not.
I'm not against homosexuals, as mentioned before, it's peoples emotions and feelings and I have no right nor enough knowledge to say what they are doing is wrong.

Yes, I do agree that most Religions are against homosexuality, I fail to believe that those Religions are against homosexuals. To be more specific, most religions are against the act not against the people.

Truck

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +122
  • School: who needs school when you got SWAG?
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2011, 06:49:46 pm »

I can understand how you might have thought I was against homosexuals, but I'm not.
I'm not against homosexuals, as mentioned before, it's peoples emotions and feelings and I have no right nor enough knowledge to say what they are doing is wrong.

Yes, I do agree that most Religions are against homosexuality, I fail to believe that those Religions are against homosexuals. To be more specific, most religions are against the act not against the people.

Well we have no argument then :P. Whether or not I agree / disagree with your religious beliefs is somewhat irrelevant as since you respect the civil liberties of the individual there really is nothing more to be said.
#yolo #thuglife #swaggotandproud

Inspirations: Mahtama Ghandi, T-Pain, The Caped Crusader and Ayn Rand.

knightstarr17

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2011, 06:53:27 pm »
+1
I'm glad we could have come to some common ground :)

Random_Guy

« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2011, 08:32:30 pm »
We emphasise on tolerance of differences too heavily. There has to be a limit, and gay marriage is that limit. If people choose to be gay, I have nothing against that. I don't understand why people need to get married to show their love to each other. Isn't living with each other enough? Marriage is overrated, dudes.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2011, 08:35:56 pm »
Strangely enough some people would like to be considered equal to everybody else and have the same opportunities and benefits as others in the same situation.

Disgusting, I know.

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2011, 08:51:36 pm »
+1
I can't stand when supporters of gay marriage say its discrimination. By discrimination they mean in violation of public policy -- it discriminates in an illegal way or it violates civil rights. The problem is there is no civil right to same-sex marriage.

Without exception, every adult in Australia already has a right to marry. But everyone also has restrictions on whom they may marry -- again, without exception. These restrictions apply equally to everyone; there is no discrimination involved.

The other problem is those who compare the issue with discrimination of race. I've never understood the analogy. Race is an immutable condition.

Marriage cannot be "redefined" into a right for homosexual couples. Marriage is what it is, the monogamous union of one man and one women, nothing else or other. Restricting one's choice of a marriage partner by gender preserves marriage as an institution that  builds bridges to bring men and women together to create future generations and serve the health of society.

I've always believed that denaturing marriage is just one more instance where making something "accessible to all" destroys what it once was.
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

JellyDonut

• charlie sheen of AN
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2011, 09:24:39 pm »
+1
We emphasise on tolerance of differences too heavily. There has to be a limit, and gay marriage is that limit. If people choose to be gay, I have nothing against that. I don't understand why people need to get married to show their love to each other. Isn't living with each other enough? Marriage is overrated, dudes.
Why would you place an arbitrary limit on gay marriage? Why not being gay in general? Why tolerate differences at all? And if you think it's overrated, then surely it won't be any skin off your back if they got married. Jesus fuck
It's really not that hard to quantify..., but I believe that being raped once is not as bad as being raped five times, even if the one rape was by a gang of people.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2011, 09:29:50 pm »
The English Exam wasn't even a month ago and we all have seem to have forgotten. The Encountering Conflict prompt mentioned something about compromise. The only reason why "Gay Marriage" is an issue is because neither side compromises.

Firstly, those in support of gay marriage often fail to see what they already have. Civil unions have basically bridged the gap between a conventional married couple and homosexuals who are within a civil union. They demand the "right" to marry, but as MJRomeo was stating, there is no such "right", marriage is not a "right", it is an undertaking defined as the union of a man, his family and a woman and her family. That is its definition. We aren't here to destroy the institution of marriage and redefine terms. Furthermore, those in support of gay marriage often fail to see why others, especially those who are religious, oppose gay marriage and homosexuality. They need to understand that just because it is right by them doesn't mean it has to be accepted by everyone. For example, I think that eating meat is ok, vegetarians might think that it's cruel to eat meat, does that mean I have the right to attack them and undermine their beliefs?

Secondly, those against gay marriage often are a little bit behind the times. Religions need to become accepting of homosexuality and that it exists, they should respect the rights of others to practice that, it's not OK to force others to take on your point of view. You want to be vegetarian, OK that's good, but others want to eat meat, so you accept that, that's the way to move forward.

I think compromise is the issue here, and from my gathering, it's a little bit lacking from both parties, but honestly, what we have is fine, sometimes you can't have everything you want, and the only way to move forward is to work with what you have, I think those in support of gay marriage should understand the privileges they have been given over the past few years and rather than complain, they should appreciate that more and more people are now becoming accepting of homosexuality.

Random_Guy

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2011, 09:51:45 pm »
Yes, and we, as "religious" folks, do compromise. It's not like gay people are persecuted in society...

kensan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Do you even lift?
  • Respect: +20
  • School: L.C.
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2011, 09:52:40 pm »
If people chose to be gay? It's not a choice, it was genetic I thought...

Maybe they should come up with a new word instead of marriage for homosexual couples? And at the moment are gay people being denied of any rights that heterosexual couples have (apart from being able to get married)?

But people definitely need to respect each other based on sexuality, race, gender etc...  how long is it going to take society to fully accustom to this idea?
2013: BSc at UoM

BigFunt

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2011, 09:57:21 pm »
+3
The English Exam wasn't even a month ago and we all have seem to have forgotten. The Encountering Conflict prompt mentioned something about compromise. The only reason why "Gay Marriage" is an issue is because neither side compromises.

Firstly, those in support of gay marriage often fail to see what they already have. Civil unions have basically bridged the gap between a conventional married couple and homosexuals who are within a civil union. They demand the "right" to marry, but as MJRomeo was stating, there is no such "right", marriage is not a "right", it is an undertaking defined as the union of a man, his family and a woman and her family. That is its definition. We aren't here to destroy the institution of marriage and redefine terms. Furthermore, those in support of gay marriage often fail to see why others, especially those who are religious, oppose gay marriage and homosexuality. They need to understand that just because it is right by them doesn't mean it has to be accepted by everyone. For example, I think that eating meat is ok, vegetarians might think that it's cruel to eat meat, does that mean I have the right to attack them and undermine their beliefs?

Secondly, those against gay marriage often are a little bit behind the times. Religions need to become accepting of homosexuality and that it exists, they should respect the rights of others to practice that, it's not OK to force others to take on your point of view. You want to be vegetarian, OK that's good, but others want to eat meat, so you accept that, that's the way to move forward.

I think compromise is the issue here, and from my gathering, it's a little bit lacking from both parties, but honestly, what we have is fine, sometimes you can't have everything you want, and the only way to move forward is to work with what you have, I think those in support of gay marriage should understand the privileges they have been given over the past few years and rather than complain, they should appreciate that more and more people are now becoming accepting of homosexuality.

this was quite an amusing read. To use your analogy, In a world of meat eaters, should a wannabe vegetarian compromise by eating smaller amounts of meat. Because as you said people "should appreciate" whats given to them. There is no issue of compromise here. What makes homosexuals less able to marry each other than, as Ninwa stated, Britney spears, whose marriage lasted 55 hours. Why are we allowing people like this to marry each other? Surely you must concede that some homosexual couples would be better candidates for marriage than some heterosexual couples. To all those who say marriage is an institution, the whole point of this argument is to CHANGE this institution.

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2011, 11:05:39 pm »
+6

I don't understand why people need to get drunk to have fun at parties. Isn't being in the company of friends enough? Alcohol is overrated, dudes. Therefore, alcohol should be banned.

Your "logic" astounds me.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2011, 11:06:59 pm »
+3
I can't stand when supporters of gay marriage say its discrimination. By discrimination they mean in violation of public policy -- it discriminates in an illegal way or it violates civil rights. The problem is there is no civil right to same-sex marriage.

Without exception, every adult in Australia already has a right to marry. But everyone also has restrictions on whom they may marry -- again, without exception. These restrictions apply equally to everyone; there is no discrimination involved.

The other problem is those who compare the issue with discrimination of race. I've never understood the analogy. Race is an immutable condition.

Marriage cannot be "redefined" into a right for homosexual couples. Marriage is what it is, the monogamous union of one man and one women, nothing else or other. Restricting one's choice of a marriage partner by gender preserves marriage as an institution that  builds bridges to bring men and women together to create future generations and serve the health of society.

I've always believed that denaturing marriage is just one more instance where making something "accessible to all" destroys what it once was.

"The problem is there is no civil right to same-sex marriage"

Well that's exactly the point. Advocates are trying to make it a right. The laws of the time in 18th century America were that Blacks weren't fully considered people.

Just because it was the law at the time, did that make it right? Hell no.

You fundamental religionists will be remembered with the same bitter disdain as we think of slaveholders. Just remember that.

You're actively denying people their rights because your small brains can't stomach a lifestyle different to your own.

No, that's the religious definition. Marriage was around long before your pathetic religion was dreamed up by desert savages who thought it was perfectly fine to allow a man who raped a woman to pay the father 50 pieces of silver to just make her his wife.

Marriage is the desire to express an official partnership between two consenting adults. That is the restriction you were talking about. The restrictions on why an adult cannot marry a child is because the child is not emotionally developed enough to make an informed, properly consensual decision on the matter.

But two gay adults? They sure as hell can.

I can't believe people in Australia who have had the benefit of such a wonderful education can still think like this. It astounds me.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 11:17:36 pm by enwiabe »

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2011, 11:12:50 pm »
Restricting one's choice of a marriage partner by gender preserves marriage as an institution that  builds bridges to bring men and women together to create future generations and serve the health of society.

We aren't here to destroy the institution of marriage and redefine terms.

Just... wow. You guys are so predictable it's hilarious. In any discussion about gay marriage you will always get the hysterical "DESTROYING INSTITUTION OF MARRIAGE" crap.

Why don't you take a look at this and tell me what's really destroying the "institution of marriage"?
http://marriage.about.com/od/entertainmen1/a/shortestmarriages.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concubine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adultery
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Products/3310.0~2009~Chapter~Divorces?OpenDocument
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 11:14:22 pm by ninwa »
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]