Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:06:01 pm

Author Topic: Addition of a "quality post" icon  (Read 2999 times)  Share 

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Addition of a "quality post" icon
« on: January 06, 2015, 03:15:16 pm »
+3
Every so often a member makes a post that acts as a guide for something, be it related to VCE/HSC, uni or something else, such as:

Much of the time these posts are either stickied, or tend to become forgotten over time as new posts are made. Obviously it's not possible to sticky all of these types of thread as it'd take up much of the first page (at least) of several subforums.

So, I propose the implementation of a special icon, distributed by moderators, that can be used to highlight this type of high-quality post without clogging up subforums with stickied posts.

This is where the icon might appear once added to a post:

This is what the icon could be:

Feedback welcome and encouraged!
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
Re: Addition of a "quality post" icon
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 03:27:45 pm »
+2
I do like the idea of it however I'm not sure if it's that visible... I don't represent the majority but I know I don't exactly look at those icons whenever I'm clicking on threads and I would be more inclined to click on a 'stickied' thread due to how it's up at the top of its respective board plus the darker shade of it too!

One idea to implement your idea alondouek would be if moderators were to distribute that special icon which you can click on to lead you to other 'starred' threads (like maybe make a new board called 'starred threads' or something etc.). Currently on the icon which the arrow is pointing to and if you click on that spot, it doesn't lead you to anywhere so I guess it's an idea which could be implement :)

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 03:43:31 pm »
Fair point! I definitely concede that I don't usually notice the icons (but maybe I might if they were a noticeably different colour to the rest of the page, e.g. red?).

Given that stickied threads do have that changed colour, perhaps it would be possible to implement an option for moderators to add the "quality post" attribute (+/- an icon, but with a different colour for that post à la what is currently the case with stickied threads, just without the 'pinned to the top of page' bit). I reckon this would solve any issue of visibility, but obviously the concern arises as to how it might actually look in the context of the rest of the forum.

Edit: This is the 'colour change' thing I'm talking about. Perhaps 'quality posts' might be a light green?

I'd have a go at mocking up what I'm talking about but I can't edit for shit :P
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 03:46:34 pm by alondouek »
2013-2016

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 03:58:22 pm »
I reckon it'd work - yellow might even be nice and fit the current colour scheme. Would definitely make quite a few topics that deserve extra attention get them. (lauren's English thread comes to mind)

(I have nothing to add... Just felt I should voice approval. :P)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 05:32:17 pm »
Maybe a "view all quality topics" button in the forums/subforums?
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 06:20:36 pm »
I reckon it'd work - yellow might even be nice and fit the current colour scheme. Would definitely make quite a few topics that deserve extra attention get them. (lauren's English thread comes to mind)

(I have nothing to add... Just felt I should voice approval. :P)

Sounds reasonable! If anyone has the time and capabilities to make up something that looks like this, it'd be appreciated :)

Maybe a "view all quality topics" button in the forums/subforums?

Interesting thought, but:

1) Would we use the above stuff to actually denote these posts, or just have it as an inherent (and non-visible) property that mods can attribute to certain posts?

2) I'd be a bit concerned that it might have a negative impact on forum participation, as some users might limit themselves to the "quality posts" while ignoring the bulk of content on the rest of the forum.

Thoughts/comments?
2013-2016