Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:47:50 am

Author Topic: Pros and cons of late withdrawal from a unit  (Read 715 times)  Share 

miaow

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Pros and cons of late withdrawal from a unit
« on: September 22, 2016, 08:22:39 pm »
Hey guys, I've noticed the thread has been a bit dead lately  :'( but really hoping someone might be able to help me out.
Basically I'm doing ATS1904, a first year literary studies unit, and I've found that I really really dislike it. I did ATS1903 with similar feelings but thought I'd continue because I wanted to major in Lit as part of my Arts/Law degree, and was hoping it'd get better. It hasn't, and I'm definitely not continuing next semester. My dilemma is whether I should discontinue the unit late now, incur the fees (there isn't any academic penalties are there? I don't lose credit points or have it contribute to my GPA?) and get Withdrawn on my transcript, or push through and finish the sem.
My average last sem was 77. I got 18% on the first assignment and queried it with my tutor, she decided to boost it to a 60, but it really sapped my confidence and I now feel my major essay due soon is going to be marked similarly.
I need to keep a high average to retain my scholarships. So is it better to have a Withdrawn on my academic transcript or to risk a fail or more likely a very slim pass (50-55) bringing down my grade? And does it look bad to have Withdrawn on a transcript?