Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 02:10:43 am

Author Topic: [Help - Failing Monash Unit what to do :( ]  (Read 12012 times)  Share 

michaeldunks1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
[Help - Failing Monash Unit what to do :( ]
« on: May 30, 2016, 09:51:23 pm »
Hey guys
Sorry new user here,

I am a uni student at Monash. This year, I have had numerous family issues (parents getting a divorce) and I have tried to avoid the consequences of this as much as possible by studying as hard as possible but I have still been really depressed over the few weeks.

But what is making things worst is there is one Arts unit where I have constantly been picked on by the tutor. I don't think he likes me (because I was going to get one of my assesments remarked - but ultimately it wasn't remarked) and this has caused me more anxiety. I have worked really hard at my other 3 units but it's this unit that's causing me a lot of stress. I don't know if I am being really sensitive or not (given the surrounding family situation) but I was thinking of just applying for a Withdraw fail cuz I think the tutor is biased against me and I really can't cope with this and all of the crap going in my life. Eg. in tutorials throughout the year he has always been shutting down my ideas etc and this hasn't really helped and ive had a break down just recently (cuz i got an assemeent back from him and he completely ruined me - i didn't fail tho)

Should I apply for a Withrdraw fail? Has anyone else had any similar circumstances - like getting this changed to a Withdraw Incomplete?

What should I do? I havent been going to a psychologist/counsellor (because i didnt see a need) but what would you guys do - I think theres a chance I will fail the unit.

michaeldunks1

• Adventurer
Re: [Help - Failing Monash Unit what to do :( ]
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 09:53:09 pm »
And I have tried speaking with the Chief Examiner. He is very unhelpful - he said he would talk to my tutor about the remark and it never got remarked (after asking him twice and he said he would do it). I think the conversation he had with my tutor damaged our relationship and caused him to show bias against me... and the Chief Examiner now is overseas (has been since week 10)

michaeldunks1

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 10:11:39 pm »
anyone? :(

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 11:49:25 pm »
+7
Hi Michaeldunks1,
Sorry to hear you're in a difficult spot. You need to understand your options and their consequences, you may not fully understand your range of options or what they mean later as you are a first year (it seems?).

A withdrawn fail is basically equivalent to a fail. WAM/GPA wise, the marks still count as a fail. You will get a 0 and it will be listed a WF (something like that). If you dont withdraw and fail, you will have whatever marks you've gotten and just a NP/Fail grade. The difference looks a little better on your transcript but only a bit.

With the actual fail, say you got 30 on coursework so far and maybe 20 on the exam, you get a grade of 50 instead of 0. If your overall mark is of concern, i would consider continuing with the unit and just accepting the mark you get (you will not get 0 in the exam for instance, you will get at least some marks). If you withdraw fail, you will always get a total 0.

-----
Two options:
(1) Defer the exam and this will give you more time to prepare for the exam. The forms sound scary but i've never heard of anyone being rejected for a deferred exam. Even a medical certificate stating you were sick on that day will do (you do have to go to the doctor on that day or before that day though, it is illegal to backdate a medical certificate so dont go the day AFTER the exam for instance).  The exam will be instead delivered during semester 2 (about week 3-6 if i recall).

This is a fairly easy thing to do.

(2) Try have the entire unit wiped. This is more difficult. To have the unit removed, you need to prove that you couldn't withdraw before the census date and/or that circumstances didn't manifest at all or fully until after the census date. This is a bit more difficult. This is what it says on paper anyway. I've heard people get off with less, usually a psychologists report or so on, it is better if you have had an ongoing relationship with this doctor or psychologist in the past.

-----

RE: Remarking, escalate it up the chain, people do take complaints seriously. Alternatively, go to the arts office and explain you've been hard done by and want to appeal/complain and they'll help. I know it sounds silly but you're a person who is in a tough spot and is rapidly running out of options. There is plenty of hope but only if you're willing to do things that may be hard or embarrassing

.A fail isn't the end of the road, i have a few fails, most people i know do. It's one of those things people dont readily admit to or talk about but you'd be surprised just how many people do it or have it happen to them. If you're in a regular 3 year degree, a fail is 1/24th of your overall mark. It's nothing if you do well in the other 23 units. It represents ~4% of your overall degree mark, its nothing. As a result of failing, your overall mark may be 4% lower than it could have been (and thats only if you get a dead 0). That's nothing.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

nerdgasm

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +73
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 12:16:26 am »
+5
Hello!

It seems like you're going through a really tough time now. It takes great strength to ask for help in such circumstances. Thank you for reaching out.

Judging from your first post, it really seems like you should seek professional medical help, whether from a family doctor, a psychologist, or through the Monash counselling service. I know you've stated that you don't really see a need, but I genuinely think such a decision can help you both personally and academically.

From the personal perspective, having someone to talk to who is trained and experienced in listening to people's issues is a great way to begin getting help. I cannot imagine how difficult it is to have your parents separate - but rest assured, you don't have to feel like this is a burden that you have to keep entirely to yourself. I have personally used the university counselling service, and it honestly made me feel a lot better to have somebody to talk to, as well as knowing that I was being proactive in trying to address my issues.

From the academic perspective, it seems like you're committed to completing at least 3 of your units this semester. A doctor/psychologist/counsellor is able to write a note explaining the effect that your hardships have had on you. You can then use this note to apply for special consideration, which should allow you to postpone your exams to a later date. For someone in your circumstances, you would be making things unnecessarily hard on yourself by not taking this deserved opportunity.

Also, you asked about whether it's worth withdrawing from a unit at this stage of the semester. Unfortunately, as slothpomba has mentioned, a Withdrawn Fail grade ends up being just like a regular Fail grade, except with a mark of 0. So, my advice would be to apply for special consideration for this Arts unit as well, get the exam postponed, and maybe study for it a bit, without needing to go overboard. That probably sounds like a lot of struggle right now - but it's better than a straight 0. It sucks, but it's not your fault - it's just the way the university policy is.

RE: Remarking, escalate it up the chain, people do take complaints seriously. Alternatively, go to the arts office and explain you've been hard done by and want to appeal/complain and they'll help. I know it sounds silly but you're a person who is in a tough spot and is rapidly running out of options. There is plenty of hope but only if you're willing to do things that may be hard or embarrassing

.A fail isn't the end of the road, i have a few fails, most people i know do. It's one of those things people dont readily admit to or talk about but you'd be surprised just how many people do it or have it happen to them. If you're in a regular 3 year degree, a fail is 1/24th of your overall mark. It's nothing if you do well in the other 23 units. It represents ~4% of your overall degree mark, its nothing. As a result of failing, your overall mark may be 4% lower than it could have been (and thats only if you get a dead 0). That's nothing.
I agree completely with this.

So, in summary, what I think you should do is:
1. Seek help, whether from a doctor, psychologist or counsellor.
2. Apply for special consideration for all four of your units. In particular, ask for your exams to be deferred.
3. Don't apply for a withdrawn fail for your Arts unit (for the reasons outlined in slothpomba's post). Study for it, but don't go so hard it gives you more anxiety. Even if it's only a little, the end result will be better than if you took the 'withdrawn fail' option.
4. Keep sharing your situation and your thoughts with others!

Lastly, please note that if things get really bad, there are always people to talk to. There are 24-hour hotlines dedicated to people who are in a difficult situation, that are also operated by trained professionals. You are not alone, and you never need to feel like you are.

I genuinely hope things will start to turn around in your life. All the best, and godspeed.

michaeldunks1

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 10:38:23 am »
Thanks for your responses everyone is so nice!

I am more tempted to wipe this unit clear (it's only a philosophy elective) because I think my tutor is a little bit biased as I said before. What do you guys think about Withdrawn incomplete and trying to apply for it? I don't want to do special consideration beucase I think it might be too much of a burden if I have to complete another exam next semester :(

Thanks again.

zhenzhenzhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Not part of the furniture
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 10:56:31 am »
+1
There are no free passes in this world, and sometimes, you're stuck with the choices you committed to earlier in your life. The same goes for this unit - while you have unfortunate life circumstances that lead you to being unable to have studied earlier/done better, and none of it was your fault, do something about it NOW and stop waiting. Escalate your appeals up the chain. Talk in person to the arts office, the director of the faculty, the university grievance committee, everyone. Talk to a doctor or psychologist and get them to write a report. Have documentation with you instead of just a story.

Nobody can help you if you don't help yourself.

In regards to the specific problem with your tutor, I recommend you just drop that argument entirely. Nobody is going to listen to you complaining about a bias with your tutor. If you have specific, provable examples of bias, sure - but I doubt it from the information that you have listed here.

Speak with faculty about the re-mark that never eventuated - that is something you probably have in writing and can raise a legitimate concern about.

Good luck!

[edit] In regards to applying for a Withdrawn Incomplete, that is one of your many options. I recommend you not confine yourself to just that one option if it doesn't work out. [/edit]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:59:44 am by zhenzhenzhen »
2010 - 2013: Bachelor of Software Engineering - Monash (completed w/ alternative exit to B. Comp Sci)
2014 - 2016: Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) - Monash

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 11:08:40 am »
+1
Thanks for your responses everyone is so nice!

I am more tempted to wipe this unit clear (it's only a philosophy elective) because I think my tutor is a little bit biased as I said before. What do you guys think about Withdrawn incomplete and trying to apply for it? I don't want to do special consideration beucase I think it might be too much of a burden if I have to complete another exam next semester :(

Thanks again.
Given that it's the end of the semester, wouldn't you only have to complete and pass the exam (marked anonymously) in order to pass the unit? Thta would be a much better result that withdrawn fail/withdrawn incomplete, and if you've passed everything so far, you only need 50% on a Philosophy exam (which isn't a super tough ask if you're a studious person). Is this not an option at the moment or am I missing something?
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

zhenzhenzhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Not part of the furniture
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 11:15:49 am »
One more thing to add - breakdowns are entirely normal, heck even in my final year of the Master's degree I have seen people still break down and cry while studying because of all the stress involved (I may or may not be included in that list of people)

What matters is how you cope with it, and press on :) And I think the great thing about University is that it forces you to learn to cope and push forward in the face of difficulty that may seem insurmountable at first until you're through! Friends and ATARNotes are indispensable for that haha
2010 - 2013: Bachelor of Software Engineering - Monash (completed w/ alternative exit to B. Comp Sci)
2014 - 2016: Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) - Monash

michaeldunks1

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 11:36:31 am »
Thanks Brenden and zhenzhenzhen.
Re: Zhen, I wish i was only stressed right now. i think its a little bit more than that :(  but yeah will push on.