Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:46:24 am

Poll

Which of the following options would you prefer?

That we keep the 'Extended Response Mastery Thread' and leave it as it is.
That we expand on the thread by including non-extended response questions.
That Glasses shut up and let us be.

Author Topic: The Fate of the 'Extended Response Mastery Thread'  (Read 1229 times)  Share 

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
The Fate of the 'Extended Response Mastery Thread'
« on: August 15, 2016, 09:40:39 pm »
+1
Hi all, so it would appear that my 'Legal Studies Extended Response Mastery Thread' didn't work out how I had hoped it would (fml) - but in an attempt to keep something like this going, I thought that instead of posting an extended response question each week (which do take quite a bit of time to write), I could post a question (or a couple questions) of any length/difficulty/type, each week (which would mean that we could have an extended response question one week, a short answer another week, etc), and which would ultimately work in a similar way to how I hoped the Extended Response Thread would operate (see here VCE Legal Studies - Extended Response Mastery Thread).

So yeah let me know what you guys think by filling out the above poll (please)!! :)
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
Re: The Fate of the 'Extended Response Mastery Thread'
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 08:09:26 pm »
Oh, I totally didn't see this. In my opinion, students are usually more over-confident about their answers to longer questions. Those are the ones that really differentiate people. So I think 8-10 marks (minimum 6 marks) is the range that would be of most use. But it's not a thread for my benefit, so just follow what you think people need :)
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 09:20:00 pm »
Personally, I'd prefer a variation of questions (length/difficulty/type). Due to term 3 being a busy time in the year, I think this option will liven up the thread as it will be much easier for people.

But go with the survey results and decide from there!  :)
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 10:13:19 pm »
I'm thinking that we might just leave it as it is for the moment, and see how we go :)

I might even post a question on a fortnightly basis (or something a little longer than a week) - just to give people a bit more time to get involved :)

Thanks for everyone's contributions!
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

ish708

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 05:40:17 pm »
If it's not to much trouble, then I think do both. Post both an extended response and a short answer each week so the people have the option of doing either. I would definitely do an extended response each week as seeing as we are coming up to practise exams and the real exams it would really benefit those who want to put in some extra effort. However some people may just not have time to do an extended response, but then if they had the option to also do a short answer they could.

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 11:03:36 pm »
If it's not to much trouble, then I think do both. Post both an extended response and a short answer each week so the people have the option of doing either. I would definitely do an extended response each week as seeing as we are coming up to practise exams and the real exams it would really benefit those who want to put in some extra effort. However some people may just not have time to do an extended response, but then if they had the option to also do a short answer they could.

Thanks for your feedback ish708 :)

I think we will just see how we go with the thread for the time being, and depending on how things progress, we'll hopefully have some different types of questions in the future - (maybe even evaluate/discuss-type questions, but with a lower marker range) :)