Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 10:15:08 am

Author Topic: Class of 2016!!  (Read 563786 times)  Share 

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: Class of 2016!!
« Reply #2070 on: September 24, 2016, 04:52:47 pm »
has anyone ever tried something called 'rescure remedy'? seems cool- might defs make me chill out!

There's no evidence that solutions of brandy, water, and flowers have any efficacy when compared to placebo.

If you're keen to learn more about how homeopathy works, try this link: http://www.howdoeshomeopathywork.com/

:)

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #2071 on: September 24, 2016, 04:55:34 pm »
There's no evidence that solutions of brandy, water, and flowers have any efficacy when compared to placebo.

If you're keen to learn more about how homeopathy works, try this link: http://www.howdoeshomeopathywork.com/

:)
hmm-thanks for the link! was sorta skeptical, but thanks for your opinion! :)
Uni and life

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #2072 on: September 24, 2016, 05:00:52 pm »
+6
You might be better off looking into relaxation and breathing techniques, rather than things like Rescue Remedy (which in my opinion, don't really work [at all]). It might take a bit of research, but if you can find something that works for you, and which helps you calm down (e.g. - by  lowering your breathing rate), I'm sure it'll be beneficial!
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #2073 on: September 24, 2016, 05:13:07 pm »
+1
My 2¢ on relaxation- find something you really enjoy and use that as your relaxation tool.
Tbh I find listening to music and reading books really beneficial, however I do sometimes use mindfullness techniques (such as this) and breathing exercises if I really am stressed/strained. :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 05:16:44 pm by insanipi »
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #2074 on: September 24, 2016, 05:16:31 pm »
You might be better off looking into relaxation and breathing techniques, rather than things like Rescue Remedy (which in my opinion, don't really work [at all]). It might take a bit of research, but if you can find something that works for you, and which helps you calm down (e.g. - by  lowering your breathing rate), I'm sure it'll be beneficial!

Mindfulness is worth looking into, there are plenty of freely available apps for smart phones that can introduce one into it and guide one through the process. Plenty of scientific evidence to support its use :)

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
  • Be yourself and be your best self.
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #2075 on: September 24, 2016, 07:38:27 pm »
+1
has anyone ever tried something called 'rescure remedy'? seems cool- might defs make me chill out!

Other have suggested mindfulness, which i will not comment any further on since their information should suffice if you wish to do that.

I just want to add some other strategies too:
 - If your really stressed, perhaps punch a pillow frantically and madly.
 - drinking hot tea, which works a treat on cold days of the year, (if it contains caffeine, just don't do it just before bed).
 - Watch something that makes you laugh (laughter is a great stress reliever)
 - (related to above) Perhaps play a game that make you laugh. eg. Grandma's underpants.
 - (according to my school councillor) Play sports.

Gromekk

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2076 on: September 25, 2016, 12:24:21 pm »
Yes I'm thinking of moving to Monash! :D

Are you planning on living on campus? It's a bit expensive for me, might look for a roomshare or houseshare

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #2077 on: September 25, 2016, 12:53:24 pm »
Are you planning on living on campus? It's a bit expensive for me, might look for a roomshare or houseshare

Aren't there like scholarships and stuff for living on campus?

Sidenote: I have to "have a Tax File Number in my name at enrolment" according to an email I got from VTAC yonks ago. Can I do that after exams or is it the sorta thing that I have to do now? I assumed that I could do it after surviving VCE but my friends are all like "ermagawd, you have to do it NOW if you want to go to uni next year!!!".

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #2078 on: September 25, 2016, 12:57:15 pm »
+5
Sidenote: I have to "have a Tax File Number in my name at enrolment" according to an email I got from VTAC yonks ago. Can I do that after exams or is it the sorta thing that I have to do now? I assumed that I could do it after surviving VCE but my friends are all like "ermagawd, you have to do it NOW if you want to go to uni next year!!!".

Universities have what they call a 'census date' which basically is the last day to enrol/unenrol from stuff without getting charged fees. It also indicates when you can get charged fees (from the day after census date). Ideally you should get your TFN as soon as possible, but you have up until that date (usually is around the 31st of March for Semester 1 - don't quote me, it changes).

When you apply for commonwealth assistance (HECS), that's when you must supply the TFN.

To get it out of the way - get your TFN before offers come out (~mid Jan) so you can do all of that admin stuff before you start uni. I would also check how long it takes to actually get.... One less hassle!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:00:18 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2079 on: September 25, 2016, 02:02:17 pm »
+2
Aren't there like scholarships and stuff for living on campus?

Scholarships for Monash accommodation can be found here. For Monash scholarships in general, click here instead or for Melbourne Uni, here. (For all other unis, just use Google and search for it.)

As for the TFN, it usually takes ~2-3 weeks (if my memory serves me right) to get sorted and delivered, so I'd sort that out now while you're still in high school (iirc, it's shorter than the ones you do after high school, plus you'll also need it for the future [i.e. besides uni] anyway, so may as well get it done now).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 02:09:41 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #2080 on: September 25, 2016, 02:22:00 pm »
Cool. Thanks guys. :)

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2081 on: September 25, 2016, 05:59:52 pm »
quick q- how are people printing prac exams/notes? my school is awesome in the sense we basically have free printing supplied (although its really only free if you convince the librarians to use their printing credit xD) - but since we're on holidays, i was wondering whats the cheapest way to print these exams? i was thinking of buying a cheap printer (30 bucks) with supplied ink, and that should hold for the exams i want to print at least until school is back on- but would officeworks/some other way be cheaper? THANKS GUYS <3 HAHA xD
Uni and life

tim.wells

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2082 on: September 25, 2016, 06:08:27 pm »
+1
quick q- how are people printing prac exams/notes? my school is awesome in the sense we basically have free printing supplied (although its really only free if you convince the librarians to use their printing credit xD) - but since we're on holidays, i was wondering whats the cheapest way to print these exams? i was thinking of buying a cheap printer (30 bucks) with supplied ink, and that should hold for the exams i want to print at least until school is back on- but would officeworks/some other way be cheaper? THANKS GUYS <3 HAHA xD

When I printed exams I went to officeworks, which seemed to be reasonably priced from memory. However, $30 for a printer and ink included sounds very cheap.

One way to limit how much you need to spend on printing, is if you are doing an english practise exam, just write out the prompt you select, and only print the language analysis stimulus. Also if you are practising multiple choice sections, just leave the questions on your computer screen and write out your response on some looseleaf.

I know in an ideal world we would all have our practise exams printed out; but things like this are a handy way to save money and time (which is arguably more valuable).
Tim Wells

Law undergrad at Monash University

ATAR- 99.20
English Tutor - English (48), Literature (47), Australian History (47), Economics (45), Legal Studies (38), Maths Methods (31)

Get more answers for your questions as well as weekly tips and blog posts, from my friends and I at:

HSC - http://bit.ly/HSChelp
VCE - http://bit.ly/VCEhelp

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2083 on: September 25, 2016, 06:54:30 pm »
+1
When I printed exams I went to officeworks, which seemed to be reasonably priced from memory. However, $30 for a printer and ink included sounds very cheap.

One way to limit how much you need to spend on printing, is if you are doing an english practise exam, just write out the prompt you select, and only print the language analysis stimulus. Also if you are practising multiple choice sections, just leave the questions on your computer screen and write out your response on some looseleaf.

I know in an ideal world we would all have our practise exams printed out; but things like this are a handy way to save money and time (which is arguably more valuable).
excellent. thank you! :)
Uni and life

psych lover

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #2084 on: September 26, 2016, 09:31:51 pm »
+1
Hey friends,
I don't wanna be the type that causes everyone a great deal of stress when i say that there is only... LESS THAN ONE MONTH till year 12 exams but i honestly want to know if I'm the only one who is feeling as though they are still under-prepared, terrified, and doubtful as to whether they can achieve their goals??? (i.e. for me an ATAR of 85+)
If there are some of you that have already been in my shoes, please give me some advice as to how to handle it all and how to ensure i can achieve that dream ATAR of mine as well getting an offer from my dream course! & revising for all my subjects is so overwhelming, there's soooo much to get through!

thanks guys.
Happy studying