Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 08:45:56 am

Author Topic: Changes in Study Design?  (Read 2410 times)  Share 

Izzy999

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Changes in Study Design?
« on: November 09, 2016, 05:37:43 pm »
Hey all,
I was just wondering how significant the changes in study design were since I'm doing 3/4 Chemistry next year, and the textbook (as well as checkpoints) chosen for my class is the one being used this year, I think, so would that mean it would have things we don't need, as well as missing things we do need? Would it be worthwhile to buy this one to use in class, as well as the new edition to use for further revision etc..?
2016: Psych [42]
2017: Chem [43] Lit [41] Methods [36] Drama [31] Further [50]~ 98.2

chemgrl

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Changes in Study Design?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 06:44:06 pm »
+2
Hi Izzy999,
I'm quite surprised that your school will be using the current learning materials for the new course next year as the changes are quite significant. For example- the current unit 4 is now the new unit 3, some topics have been removed, and there are some new concepts that have never been seen in the VCE chemistry course (although seen at uni level chem) for example, stereoisomerism, omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acid structure and respective functions, vitamins and metabolism in the human body. Having said that, some of the course is the same, but you won't know what topics to omit or include in your studies when using the current textbook. I strongly suggest purchasing the new edition textbook and checkpoints as this will prepare you adequately for your sacs and the final exam. Also, if you do intend to use the current textbook, print out a copy of the old study design and the new one and note any differences- for example, when learning about analytical techniques in unit 4, learn about direct and redox titrations but ignore back titrations. Prepare your notes according to the new study design and you'll be well equipped :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:50:45 pm by chemgrl »
2014: Chemistry (46)

*** a hug without u is just mercury ***

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 06:54:46 pm »
+1
If I were you, I'd talk to the year 12 chem teacher to ask them why they're using the old textbook given the new study design flips the entire study design around, WHILST changing a bunch of things. It might be that they've prepared a bunch of resources so that you can use the old book, which would be beneficial for people that can't afford the new textbook.

Izzy999

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 03:29:17 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll ask my teacher about it once early start begins, but even so I think I'll buy the new textbook (+checkpoints) once my bank account lets me. My school's also going to be bringing in edrolo for next year, do you think that will help me keep up with the changes as well?
I'll use all your advice going into next year so thanks!
2016: Psych [42]
2017: Chem [43] Lit [41] Methods [36] Drama [31] Further [50]~ 98.2