Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 08:04:34 am

Author Topic: PDHPE Suggested Answers and Exam Discussion  (Read 18450 times)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
Re: PDHPE Suggested Answers and Exam Discussion
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 05:27:16 pm »
Getting some clarification on the questions you're asking about guys, just messaged our lecturer who did the answers! :)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

JamesMcFadden

• Fresh Poster
  • School: St Aloysius' College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 05:28:15 pm »
I agree that question 14 is D, A is also correct but what if he lost lots of water? Hence D (even though people are talking about how it can't be measured during preformance).
However, can someone explain why question 20 is C and not  A?

Certain that Q20 is not C, the body doesn't train itself to eat muscle (protein) rather it spares glycogen and metabolises fat at lower exercise intensities (aerobic)

Jimmy Barnes

• Trailblazer
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 05:29:45 pm »
It says it in the quote above the actual question about during

Check the screenshot, it just states that "athletes dehydrate while competing in sporting events", then says "Which strategy would best address dehydration"
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jamie.manalaotao

• HSC Lecturer
  • New South Welsh
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 05:31:15 pm »
Hey everyone!
I'm the one who wrote the answers up!
Totally sorry about questions 14 and 20! I agree with you, looking back on it know, I think question 14 is A and question 20 I believe is A. Please let me know what you all think?

DrShellgon

• Adventurer
  • School: Baulkham Hills High School
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 05:43:35 pm »
Hi to whoever did up the mcq, with all due respect, I would have to disagree with your answer for question 20.

Reason being, in the aerobic system and various related qualities, with prolonged aerobic training, the adaptations would of course, be anything centred around the aerobic system's improvement in efficiency, as well as any other increases in stroke volume, haemoglobin count, decrease in resting heart rate, etc.

Now in my opinion + research, protein metabolism wouldn't really be such an adaptation that would arise from prolonged aerobic training - nor would it be desirable. Why would we want the adaptation to use protein as a fuel source, over the usual "default" routes of carbohydrates like glycogen, and fats? In fact, the metabolism of protein isn't something that's improved - why would the body want to improve the breaking down of a fuel source that is already so hard to utilise as it is, not to mention protein is integral to other bodily functions such as haemoglobin production, tissue repair, etc. Something like improved glycogen or fat metabolism would make sense, but protein metabolism doesn't make as much sense.

But fat metabolism is another available answer. If fuel efficiency was indeed improved, fat metabolism AND protein metabolism, A and C would have been equally correct answers.

Instead, I think the answer is B, ATP resynthesis. It would make the most sense, because as you continually train an energy system, the rate at which it resynthesises ATP from ADP (after the originally synthesised ATP's used up) would obviously improve as an adaptation.

If there is some textbook extract or information that proves otherwise, please do share it, apologies if I came off as supercilious or arrogant, but that is my logic :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 05:45:17 pm by DrShellgon »

jamie.manalaotao

• HSC Lecturer
  • New South Welsh
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 05:50:18 pm »
Hi to whoever did up the mcq, with all due respect, I would have to disagree with your answer for question 20.

Reason being, in the aerobic system and various related qualities, with prolonged aerobic training, the adaptations would of course, be anything centred around the aerobic system's improvement in efficiency, as well as any other increases in stroke volume, haemoglobin count, decrease in resting heart rate, etc.

Now in my opinion + research, protein metabolism wouldn't really be such an adaptation that would arise from prolonged aerobic training - nor would it be desirable. Why would we want the adaptation to use protein as a fuel source, over the usual "default" routes of carbohydrates like glycogen, and fats? In fact, the metabolism of protein isn't something that's improved - why would the body want to improve the breaking down of a fuel source that is already so hard to utilise as it is, not to mention protein is integral to other bodily functions such as haemoglobin production, tissue repair, etc. Something like improved glycogen or fat metabolism would make sense, but protein metabolism doesn't make as much sense.

But fat metabolism is another available answer. If fuel efficiency was indeed improved, fat metabolism AND protein metabolism, A and C would have been equally correct answers.

Instead, I think the answer is B, ATP resynthesis. It would make the most sense, because as you continually train an energy system, the rate at which it resynthesises ATP from ADP (after the originally synthesised ATP's used up) would obviously improve as an adaptation.

If there is some textbook extract or information that proves otherwise, please do share it, apologies if I came off as supercilious or arrogant, but that is my logic :)

Hey! Thank you for your feedback! When I did the exam myself, I was really unsure of the answer and I totally understand the logic behind your reason for B. As it is multiple choice, they're asking for the 'best' answer, and right now, I'm not sure what that is. I'm doing some research of my own, but I will definitely get back to everyone once I do!  :)

bobby shmurda

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 05:52:38 pm »
Why is question 4, B and not D when it says low reps and heavy resistance, meaning it couldnt be hypertrophy as that requires 8-12 reps???

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 06:05:26 pm »
Sounds like there's a lot of contention surrounding some less-than-clear HSC questions! These multis seem really tough, and so if people have different answers and different reasoning that's totally fine. There really won't be a way to know for sure (unless you buy your paper, or wait for answers to be released by BOSTES!) but for now, relax, you've finished PDHPE forever!!!
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

DrShellgon

• Adventurer
  • School: Baulkham Hills High School
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 06:09:55 pm »
Why is question 4, B and not D when it says low reps and heavy resistance, meaning it couldnt be hypertrophy as that requires 8-12 reps???

Hi Bobby - it is B. The reason being - the hypertrophy you are thinking about at 8-12 reps is what we call sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. It is essentially where there is metabolite accumulation, hypoxia, and other local factors etc. and these induce hypertrophy that makes the muscle bigger by increasing the volume of sarcoplasmic elements. For example, adding additional mitochondria, glycogen, enzymes, etc. and more of this stuff will draw water into the cell, giving it a "bloated" look.

Now, at the lower rep range with high loads, fast twitch muscle fibres are fatigued and something occurs called "myofibrillar hypertrophy". The body responds by thinking that it needs to output more force, and adds more myofibrils to help increase strength and power output. So hence, it is B, as we are getting what we call myofibrillar hypertrophy.

Note that this is all from my own research - I never learnt this in class, but generally any sort of reps with the muscle will induce some sort of hypertrophy (whether big or small) regardless, which is what you would have learnt anyway. Hope this helps though :)

Also would just like to add: It can't be A because muscles will never atrophy when you induce a stress on them. They will only atrophy if you do not use them, and that in itself takes agesssssssssss. C is wrong because we're working at low reps and hence working on our muscular strength/power, hence it would not be endurance. And D is wrong because at high loads and low reps, we are training our fast-twitch muscle fibres, not our slow-twitch. :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 06:14:33 pm by DrShellgon »

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 06:12:46 pm »
Hi Bobby - it is B. The reason being - the hypertrophy you are thinking about at 8-12 reps is what we call sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. It is essentially where there is metabolite accumulation, hypoxia, and other local factors etc. and these induce hypertrophy that makes the muscle bigger by increasing the volume of sarcoplasmic elements. For example, adding additional mitochondria, glycogen, enzymes, etc. and more of this stuff will draw water into the cell, giving it a "bloated" look.

Now, at the lower rep range with high loads, fast twitch muscle fibres are fatigued and something occurs called "myofibrillar hypertrophy". The body responds by thinking that it needs to output more force, and adds more myofibrils to help increase strength and power output. So hence, it is B, as we are getting what we call myofibrillar hypertrophy.

Note that this is all from my own research - I never learnt this in class, but generally any sort of reps with the muscle will induce some sort of hypertrophy (whether big or small) regardless, which is what you would have learnt anyway. Hope this helps though :)

Buddy, it sounds like you absolutely killed this exam! Congratulations :)
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

wesadora

• Forum Regular
  • School: Arden
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 08:12:01 pm »
Hi, ummm just a question.

Question 14 is asking about athletes addressing dehydration DURING competition. So how would you expect an athlete to measure themselves whilst running a marathon for example? Personally, I believe the answer is A as it is the most effective of keeping hydrated.

Thankyou xxxxx

I agree with A. Key word was DURING PERFORMANCE (straight from the syllabus). D would be right post-performance. Also, I think 12 should be C? Intervals of lower/higher intensity were timed- fartlek is generally more randomly interspersed.
Subjects: 3U Maths, Adv. English, Chemistry, Geography, PDHPE

millersc5

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Ruse
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 09:13:46 pm »

Have a read of this
http://www.gssiweb.org/Article/sse-54-muscle-adaptations-to-aerobic-training

sanj123

• Adventurer
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 10:05:49 pm »
Can question 11 be A because they are being trained to deliver

wesadora

• Forum Regular
  • School: Arden
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 06:41:18 am »
This is what I mean for 12... like usually fartlek is more sporadic, while aerobic interval is more structured?
Subjects: 3U Maths, Adv. English, Chemistry, Geography, PDHPE

millersc5

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Ruse
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 09:16:21 pm »
Definitely not C. Aerobic intervals are not 30secs long but much longer (~5-10mins). And 20 intervals is too many for anything anaerobic.

Also, just a thought on 20. ATP resynthesis occurs in all 3 energy systems. ATP resynthesis increases with training intensity for obvious reasons. If the intensity of exercise is high enough, the muscles will just use anaerobic glycolysis to increase ATP resynthesis. So ATP resynthesis doesn't actually increase due to aerobic training, but the anaerobic threshold will. Instead, the metabolism of fat will increase due to the body's adaptation to the demand for more glucose in aerobic respiration, and fat being a reasonably efficient energy source in aerobic events. I said it was ATP in the exam, should have had a better think about it.