Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:22:36 pm

Author Topic: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread  (Read 277290 times)  Share 

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #240 on: October 26, 2016, 08:05:19 pm »
+1
Hey!

For the short responses, if they ask for the contributions of a significant individual in one of the questions, followed by the next one asking for the impacts the individual had, how would we go about doing this (since they're in essence the same). Do we identify in the first one and then elaborate in the second?

The contribution and impacts are not the same.
To put an example out there take Paul of Tarsus from Christianity.

His contribution (what he did in his life) - he established churches, wrote letters etc
His impact (to the development and expression of Chr) - he turned Christianity from a small jewish sect into a new worldwide faith, and his letters make up the basis of the new testament.

This is where knowing your syllabus comes into play!!!!
Look at this tonight its really easy to distinguish between the two of them once you know :)

Goodluck for tomorrow's exam!!!

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #241 on: October 26, 2016, 08:11:44 pm »
Hi there,  just wondering how much am I expected to write for SOR1 section 2,for 3 mark and  6 mark questions?

Hey!!
Its not really up to me to be saying how much seeing as I dont know your writing but consider this: Write at least to the lines. With section 2 you can go to the bottom of the page. I would suggest this but just make sure you have quality analysis.

So while my answer is probably unhelpful "write however much you need to write" it is largely applicable. Quality over quantity always. If you cannot fill the lines, there are some holes in your response. Likewise if you get to the bottom of the page and still havent done much question answering, youve got a lot of waffle.

SOR just wants you to basically restate the question, deliver the belief, say the quotes, and conclude. That is a big generalisation but essentially if you highlight a response (one colour per type of criteria) and not much is highlighted, then there is a lot of waffle.

Sorry I couldnt help more, but im sure youll be fine for tomorrows exam!! Pm me if you need anything!! :)

:3

• Forum Regular
  • (─‿‿─)(─‿‿─)(─‿‿─)
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #242 on: October 26, 2016, 08:20:40 pm »
The contribution and impacts are not the same.
To put an example out there take Paul of Tarsus from Christianity.

His contribution (what he did in his life) - he established churches, wrote letters etc
His impact (to the development and expression of Chr) - he turned Christianity from a small jewish sect into a new worldwide faith, and his letters make up the basis of the new testament.

This is where knowing your syllabus comes into play!!!!
Look at this tonight its really easy to distinguish between the two of them once you know :)

Goodluck for tomorrow's exam!!!

I understand, but would we need to quickly say the contributions then jump straight into the impacts for the second question? Or is it already accounted for?

Cheers, and good luck with SOR2! :P

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #243 on: October 26, 2016, 08:26:12 pm »
+1
I understand, but would we need to quickly say the contributions then jump straight into the impacts for the second question? Or is it already accounted for?

Cheers, and good luck with SOR2! :P

Well there is several ways that it could come out but the most common way would be
a) Contribution of one sig person... (3 mks)
b) Impact of one sig person... (6 mks)

In which case you would not need to say what was already said in part a for part b.

However, if it was just the contribution or impact by itself, it is better to brush up quickly on the contributions before continuing to the impact.

Make sense? Hope so :) all the best!

bellaaaaam18

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #244 on: November 06, 2016, 04:05:15 pm »
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone knows if the HSC 2017 has to learn 2011 or 2016 census data for the HSC???
I'm just confused because my teacher said we study 2011 data until april 2017 when the 2016 data is released???

Thanks

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #245 on: November 06, 2016, 04:31:47 pm »
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone knows if the HSC 2017 has to learn 2011 or 2016 census data for the HSC???
I'm just confused because my teacher said we study 2011 data until april 2017 when the 2016 data is released???

Thanks

I just had a quick look on ABS, and the main results of the Census won't be released until June 2017. So it is quite possible that BoS will expect the 2017 class to know the 2016 data. For now if I was you I would start learning the general trends (e.g. Christianity is decreasing, Non-Religion increasing etc. ) (which you will be doing in class with your teacher right now) until everything is confirmed and then you can learn the exact statistics as Trials and HSC gets closer  :) :)

We'll make sure we've got the latest update here on ATAR Notes when more information becomes available since this can be a really tricky part of the course!
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

SSSS

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #246 on: November 12, 2016, 09:07:44 pm »
Hey guys. I'm stressing out because we were given an assessment on new age religions. I picked scientology. The assessment is we have to right a report on the second dot point in the syllabus on the right hand side [rise of materliasm, ethical etc] but also we have to debate with one of the teachers in front of the class. They represent a religious tradition whilew e speak out on our new age religion. The thing is I don't even know what to wear, which is part of the marking criteria and don't know how to prepare. ALong with that, we have to answer four questions that are 5 marks closed book. I know, so fun.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #247 on: November 13, 2016, 09:57:53 am »
Hey guys. I'm stressing out because we were given an assessment on new age religions. I picked scientology. The assessment is we have to right a report on the second dot point in the syllabus on the right hand side [rise of materliasm, ethical etc] but also we have to debate with one of the teachers in front of the class. They represent a religious tradition whilew e speak out on our new age religion. The thing is I don't even know what to wear, which is part of the marking criteria and don't know how to prepare. ALong with that, we have to answer four questions that are 5 marks closed book. I know, so fun.

Oh! What a cool assessment! Sorry, I know you are probably hating on it, but it's nice to see something different for a change, aha :P

I think it's utterly bizarre that they are marking you based on what you wear though, I see the point but it's a little weird  ??? I don't even know! Smart casual maybe? Maybe like what you'd wear to a job interview? :)

On preparation, you literally just need to know your New Age Religion inside and out; know what they believe, why they believe it, what they practice, what are the teachings, how did it start. All that stuff. That, and prepare some arguments you'll be making in the debate. I'm assuming you'll just be debating the 'benefits' of your religion or something similar, think about some points you may make. Think about some possible counter-arguments your teacher could make, and how you could shut them down.

To start, you really just need to be reading a lot about Scientology. Really build a solid base of knowledge! :)

Thebarman

• Trendsetter
  • Gone fishing
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #248 on: November 13, 2016, 11:35:41 am »
This isn't exactly a content related question, but one about when best to drop to SOR1 from SOR2. My SOR2 class is starting Judaism tomorrow, with our assessment the day after. I'm pretty sure our teacher said we will be focusing on The Hassidim, but SOR1 will be studying Moses Maimonides (I think). Either way, it'll be two different studies. I was planning on sticking to 2 unit until the half yearlies, and then dropping down to 1 unit so that all work for the rest of the year would have been covered. Only problem is, I'll have covered different content from 1 unit and will probably struggle to learn a second contribution. Would it be best to drop down immediately, or to wait until the half yearly exams finish up?
It's probably worth mentioning that I'll only gain study periods after this drop.
“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!”
2017 HSC: Advance English, Mathematics, SORII, Biology, Business Studies, Modern History.
Atar: 92.05

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #249 on: November 13, 2016, 12:09:42 pm »
This isn't exactly a content related question, but one about when best to drop to SOR1 from SOR2. My SOR2 class is starting Judaism tomorrow, with our assessment the day after. I'm pretty sure our teacher said we will be focusing on The Hassidim, but SOR1 will be studying Moses Maimonides (I think). Either way, it'll be two different studies. I was planning on sticking to 2 unit until the half yearlies, and then dropping down to 1 unit so that all work for the rest of the year would have been covered. Only problem is, I'll have covered different content from 1 unit and will probably struggle to learn a second contribution. Would it be best to drop down immediately, or to wait until the half yearly exams finish up?
It's probably worth mentioning that I'll only gain study periods after this drop.

Hey Thebarman! From what you've said it sounds like, if you are definitely dropping anyway, probably best to do it immediately! That way you don't learn any 'useless content' so to speak ;D

That said, any reason why you are definitely dropping? If you were planning on getting to Half Yearlies and finishing most of the content for the subject, why not hang in a little longer and sit the exam for the subject? The extra unit could come in handy after all :)

Thebarman

• Trendsetter
  • Gone fishing
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #250 on: November 13, 2016, 01:07:34 pm »
Hey Thebarman! From what you've said it sounds like, if you are definitely dropping anyway, probably best to do it immediately! That way you don't learn any 'useless content' so to speak ;D

That said, any reason why you are definitely dropping? If you were planning on getting to Half Yearlies and finishing most of the content for the subject, why not hang in a little longer and sit the exam for the subject? The extra unit could come in handy after all :)

Hey Jamon!
Alright, that sounds like a good idea. I was mainly sticking to this class because we were working through the content at a manageable pace, and because our teacher gives fantastic resources. I'll stay in the class for the assessment, but drop after that.

I'm dropping so I'll have 11 units in total. I'm happy with the rest of my subjects and don't really want to drop any of them. I've done well in SOR2 and enjoyed it, but I'd feel more comfortable with an extra unit under my belt when I get to the HSC exams. There would be less to worry about, and more time could be spent on other classes. 
“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!”
2017 HSC: Advance English, Mathematics, SORII, Biology, Business Studies, Modern History.
Atar: 92.05

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #251 on: November 13, 2016, 01:33:53 pm »
Hey Jamon!
Alright, that sounds like a good idea. I was mainly sticking to this class because we were working through the content at a manageable pace, and because our teacher gives fantastic resources. I'll stay in the class for the assessment, but drop after that.

I'm dropping so I'll have 11 units in total. I'm happy with the rest of my subjects and don't really want to drop any of them. I've done well in SOR2 and enjoyed it, but I'd feel more comfortable with an extra unit under my belt when I get to the HSC exams. There would be less to worry about, and more time could be spent on other classes.

Fair enough! Give some thought to hanging around in SOR2, if you enjoy it and you are managing okay now, it's worth staying! Having two extra units in the HSC is awesome, because it means one bad exam literally has no effect on you whatsoever. Stuff up on the day? Eh, doesn't matter. That's a great peace of mind to have, and personally, a real confidence booster ;D

Just my two cents; if you can handle 12 now, why not stick it out is what I reckon! :)

SSSS

• Forum Regular
« Reply #252 on: November 19, 2016, 06:15:17 pm »
Oh! What a cool assessment! Sorry, I know you are probably hating on it, but it's nice to see something different for a change, aha :P

I think it's utterly bizarre that they are marking you based on what you wear though, I see the point but it's a little weird  ??? I don't even know! Smart casual maybe? Maybe like what you'd wear to a job interview? :)

On preparation, you literally just need to know your New Age Religion inside and out; know what they believe, why they believe it, what they practice, what are the teachings, how did it start. All that stuff. That, and prepare some arguments you'll be making in the debate. I'm assuming you'll just be debating the 'benefits' of your religion or something similar, think about some points you may make. Think about some possible counter-arguments your teacher could make, and how you could shut them down.

To start, you really just need to be reading a lot about Scientology. Really build a solid base of knowledge! :)

Thanks for your advice! I was stressed but know makes sense. I just wanted to ask about reliable sources for scientology. The problem is a lot of the research and readings I am doing inform me that apparently scientology is on aliens whos sould were brought to earth, and there was a volcana blah blah blah. The scientology website doesn't help out much but I don't know where to look. Thanks guys!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #253 on: November 19, 2016, 06:30:52 pm »
Thanks for your advice! I was stressed but know makes sense. I just wanted to ask about reliable sources for scientology. The problem is a lot of the research and readings I am doing inform me that apparently scientology is on aliens whos sould were brought to earth, and there was a volcana blah blah blah. The scientology website doesn't help out much but I don't know where to look. Thanks guys!

Debate.org is sooo good, here is a debate that provides a few interesting arguments about Scientology's status as a religion. I find the Scientology website to be quite non-informative too, it's hard to find info. Otherwise, have a look on YouTube for some Scientology debates, it might give you an idea about how to respond to what your teacher throws at you in a debate :)

Do you need to prepare counter-arguments as well? If you have the knowledge of which religious tradition your teacher will represent, perhaps you could prepare some direct comparisons between scientology and the religious tradition? :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

SSSS

• Forum Regular
« Reply #254 on: November 19, 2016, 06:34:46 pm »
Thank you so much for that website! Just saved my life!! And for counter arguements, the teachers are representing any of the five major religious traditions. I didn't think of searching debates but now I'll look around.  8)