Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:51:35 am

Author Topic: Global Politics 2015  (Read 10140 times)  Share 

hellahella

Global Politics 2015
« on: January 27, 2015, 09:53:01 pm »
Hey guys,

It's getting really close to the start of the school year so I thought that I would start a thread and see who else is out there studying Global and get a discussion going (idea stolen from the wonderful 2014 thread :P)

How did you all find your first Global class (if you had commencement) and how did you find the holiday homework?

:)

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
Re: Global Politics 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 09:57:36 pm »
+2
I'll buzz around and give you guys a helping hand if need be. :P
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

Artificialimagination

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 10:30:49 pm »
Hello there,

I'm doing Global Politics this year and completed History Revolutions last year. In History, we were expected to use historians' perspectives and quotes in our responses. As I've been reading through the textbook for Global Politics I've noticed that there are quite a few commentators' opinions listed in the case study/examples sections. Should I record these and study them as I did in History or it there not as much emphasis on quotes and opinions in this subject?

By the way, I haven't had a class yet because I'm doing the subject by distance!
2014 - History: Revolutions [42]
2015 - English, Economics, Maths Methods, Physics, Global Politics

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 10:17:04 am »
+3
Yes! Examiners love recent examples and case studies pertaining to the subject at hand. It's great to additionally include quotes from prominent figures in the global arena as it displays an asserted argument. For instance if you're  discussing how soft power is just as effective as hard power you could include Obama's quote said at the UN Summit 2014 of "national interest is not only achieved through the barrel of a gun... there are other means of going about it." and then of course back it up with a case example. The book has a lot of these and other varying perspectives such as the realist approach of 'preventing national suicide' (Mourganthu) when considering national interest and the obligation to 'strangers'.

Examiners also look for key metalanguage in your essays. Every AoS has a lost of terms and you should really use these. Not only do they add credibility but it shows your understanding of political language and obfuscation (not always).

However never state your own opinion. Examiners want cold hard facts and nothing else. The essay isn't a political rant in which you express your thoughts but the use of statistics to support your argumentative side of the prompt.

Good luck  ;D

hellahella

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 12:49:31 pm »
I'm so glad to finally have a response to this post - an active community will prove invaluable for this subject, I think :P

Artificialimagination

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 12:08:20 am »
Yes! Examiners love recent examples and case studies pertaining to the subject at hand. It's great to additionally include quotes from prominent figures in the global arena as it displays an asserted argument. For instance if you're  discussing how soft power is just as effective as hard power you could include Obama's quote said at the UN Summit 2014 of "national interest is not only achieved through the barrel of a gun... there are other means of going about it." and then of course back it up with a case example. The book has a lot of these and other varying perspectives such as the realist approach of 'preventing national suicide' (Mourganthu) when considering national interest and the obligation to 'strangers'.

Examiners also look for key metalanguage in your essays. Every AoS has a lost of terms and you should really use these. Not only do they add credibility but it shows your understanding of political language and obfuscation (not always).

Thanks

However never state your own opinion. Examiners want cold hard facts and nothing else. The essay isn't a political rant in which you express your thoughts but the use of statistics to support your argumentative side of the prompt.

Good luck  ;D

Thanks for the advice Reus. It's very much appreciated. :)

Sometimes when doing a subject over distance it can be difficult to pick up little niceties like this because you don't get to see a lot of others' work, whereas in history at my base school the importance of quotes was really hammered in from day 1.

I'm so glad to finally have a response to this post - an active community will prove invaluable for this subject, I think :P

Yes, it is important for this and economics alike. Especially when doing distance! I hope we see some more posts here in the near future and I'll be checking in regularly.
2014 - History: Revolutions [42]
2015 - English, Economics, Maths Methods, Physics, Global Politics

alt-x

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 10:50:09 am »
Hey guys, I'm sure this thread will be really helpful throughout the year! When's everybody's first SACs?

hellahella

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 09:59:30 pm »
Hey guys, I'm sure this thread will be really helpful throughout the year! When's everybody's first SACs?

I have a two part SAC on Global Actors - 1 essay and 1 short answer test. Two hours all up :(

How about you guys??

MDMA

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 12:05:40 am »
awesome subject I scored 40(43) last year. I personally don't think you have to do that much, just do what it says on the study design and you'll be good to go.

op4blushift

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 08:59:19 pm »
Hey all, I picked up Global Pol this year (didn't do 1/2). After about a month of classes I'm pretty glad I picked it. Lots of interesting stuff, although I'm a bit worried as to whether I'll be able to write down coherent answers using all that interesting stuff come SAC time.

Interesting. I guess it'd be a good idea to have a little notebook full of quotes and stuff then. (I think I'll take that Obama one haha) 

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 10:39:26 pm »
Hey all, I picked up Global Pol this year (didn't do 1/2). After about a month of classes I'm pretty glad I picked it. Lots of interesting stuff, although I'm a bit worried as to whether I'll be able to write down coherent answers using all that interesting stuff come SAC time.

Interesting. I guess it'd be a good idea to have a little notebook full of quotes and stuff then. (I think I'll take that Obama one haha)
Keep writing practice answers and you'll see that you'll retain the relevant points that will make a solid response come SAC time.

thaoot

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 08:28:43 pm »
Hi!
Could somebody please explain to me how contested and changing borders challenge a state's sovereignty? Thank you!
2014: Legal Studies
2015: English, French, Psychology, Global Politics, Further Maths
2016: Bachelor of Arts, University of Melbourne

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 09:16:56 pm »
Hi!
Could somebody please explain to me how contested and changing borders challenge a state's sovereignty? Thank you!
Well sovereignty is the notion that you have authority and supreme control over a fixed population and defined territorial region right?

If that is the case then Russia's (or "pro-Russian militant's") invasion of the Crimean Peninsula, Ukraine, in 2014, is contesting Ukraine's sovereignty as they seek to take rule over the territorial area. This challenge of Ukraine's sovereignty is further seen when 50 pro-Russian militants and 20 other civilians invaded and successfully controlled a Navy airbase in Novofedorivka, March 2014.

So basically when a state's "power" over that recognised territory is being "disputed" by another state you see how it challenges a state's sovereignty.
(Sorry for the vagueness, I'm trying to remember this from last year! :P)

MDMA

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 10:14:50 pm »
Hi!
It's about undermining someones sovereignty. Like in a classroom, you challenge the teachers ability to exercise effective control over the students if you mouth off to them and treat it like your home. Similarly, if Australia went over to New Zealand with 20,000 troops with guns trying to annex their land to claim as their own, this would challenge New Zealands ability to exercise effective control over its borders. The best IRL case study would probably be what Reus suggested.

elsieeee

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 09:52:45 pm »
Hey, is anyone interested in proof reading some stuff for me? I would really appreciate it (: