Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 01:53:43 am

Author Topic: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread  (Read 277575 times)  Share 

aoife98

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Bethlehem College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #210 on: October 25, 2016, 08:22:40 pm »
I'd agree with what your teacher has suggested.
Also: The value of life. This kind of just encompasses all of the above. So #1 is talking about humans as a perfect creation, they shouldn't really be altered or tainted, for Allah has created them perfectly. It looks to the principal beliefs of the religion, #2, because it is a belief in the trust of Allah and his plans for life and after life. Whereas #3 is more about the autonomy of humans to live life within Allah's plans (this is, in some ways, a source of msytery in the religion - where is the balance between autonomy and Allah's predetermined route of life?)

To summarise it all: The value of human creation and it's capacity. Basically saying, human life is extremely valued for it is perfectly composed, Allah has a path to be trusted, yet humans also have autonomy and capacity to make decisions.

You can have different wording for the ethics, which is where you've probably seen discrepancy. But this is the simplest way to look at it, I think! Does this make sense? Or clear as mud? :P

I'm still confused as to the first two - don't they mean the same thing?
I normally set out my essays like
1. Explain the principle teaching eg human beings are created in the best composition
2. Sources and example (eg euthanasia)
3. Significance for community/individual

I'm struggling to connect individual teachings to the issues I've looked at (euthanasia & abortion). Which issues do you think best relate to each teaching?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #211 on: October 25, 2016, 08:38:19 pm »
I'm still confused as to the first two - don't they mean the same thing?
I normally set out my essays like
1. Explain the principle teaching eg human beings are created in the best composition
2. Sources and example (eg euthanasia)
3. Significance for community/individual

I'm struggling to connect individual teachings to the issues I've looked at (euthanasia & abortion). Which issues do you think best relate to each teaching?

The first one is saying: Allah created all humans perfectly. So it's talking about the actual physical creation of a human - the physical existence. In Christianity, they say all humans are made in the image of God. It's that same idea - physically, people are made divinely. The second one is about trusting in Allah's plans. So it's less about the physical existence and condition, and more about life's progression and choices. Allah has created people wonderfully (point number one) and has plans for these people that need to be trusted (point number two). Does that make any sense?

Are you struggling to connect the ethical teachings to the issues? Keep in mind - your two contemporary issues where you apply the ethics, don't need to really compliment each other - they can contrast and show different teachings if you like. They don't have to connect exactly, because they will be linked by bringing it back to ethics at all. So for abortion (I think after 120 days since conception it is not permissible? I'm a bit rusty on that), you might say that it contravenes the ethical teaching that Allah has a plan to be trusted. Euthanasia follows the same vein - it is using one's autonomy in a way that doesn't follow Allah's plan (again, ethical teaching number two). You'd relate these to the principal beliefs as much as possible too - Al-Qadr relates most clearly here, in my opinion! And of course, everything relates to Tawhid - the oneness of Allah - Allah's integrity and greatness is always respected in ethical teachings.

Ethics are tricky to understand, you need to break it down. Start with where the teachings come from, then what the teachings are, then link them to the principal beliefs, then talk about how they may guide the adherent, and then, apply them to contemporary issues. You really have to understand it all in that order for it to make sense as a wholesome structure! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #212 on: October 25, 2016, 08:50:06 pm »
Should we refer to God as Yahweh in Judaism and Allah and Islam? Can we do a combination of God & these specific names?
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #213 on: October 25, 2016, 09:15:21 pm »
Should we refer to God as Yahweh in Judaism and Allah and Islam? Can we do a combination of God & these specific names?

I always tried to use the religious tradition's term - so I used Allah for Islam. I think it's the best way to go :)

aoife98

• Trailblazer
  • School: Bethlehem College
« Reply #214 on: October 25, 2016, 09:52:10 pm »
The first one is saying: Allah created all humans perfectly. So it's talking about the actual physical creation of a human - the physical existence. In Christianity, they say all humans are made in the image of God. It's that same idea - physically, people are made divinely. The second one is about trusting in Allah's plans. So it's less about the physical existence and condition, and more about life's progression and choices. Allah has created people wonderfully (point number one) and has plans for these people that need to be trusted (point number two). Does that make any sense?

Are you struggling to connect the ethical teachings to the issues? Keep in mind - your two contemporary issues where you apply the ethics, don't need to really compliment each other - they can contrast and show different teachings if you like. They don't have to connect exactly, because they will be linked by bringing it back to ethics at all. So for abortion (I think after 120 days since conception it is not permissible? I'm a bit rusty on that), you might say that it contravenes the ethical teaching that Allah has a plan to be trusted. Euthanasia follows the same vein - it is using one's autonomy in a way that doesn't follow Allah's plan (again, ethical teaching number two). You'd relate these to the principal beliefs as much as possible too - Al-Qadr relates most clearly here, in my opinion! And of course, everything relates to Tawhid - the oneness of Allah - Allah's integrity and greatness is always respected in ethical teachings.

Ethics are tricky to understand, you need to break it down. Start with where the teachings come from, then what the teachings are, then link them to the principal beliefs, then talk about how they may guide the adherent, and then, apply them to contemporary issues. You really have to understand it all in that order for it to make sense as a wholesome structure! :)

That made it a lot clearer, thanks heaps Elyse!

Celeriac

• Trailblazer
  • School: --
« Reply #215 on: October 25, 2016, 09:53:21 pm »
I don't think it's a necessity, but I think an embedded quote adds a lot of sophistication to your work. It could be something as simple as referring to the Commandment of Love, for example.

Thank you!
In terms of the expression of beliefs within a religion, is it fine that I've always focused upon the principal beliefs from the preliminary course rather than any other beliefs of the religion?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #216 on: October 25, 2016, 09:57:33 pm »
Thank you!
In terms of the expression of beliefs within a religion, is it fine that I've always focused upon the principal beliefs from the preliminary course rather than any other beliefs of the religion?

The Principal Beliefs studied in Year 11 should definitely be your focus, if you are doing beliefs ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #217 on: October 26, 2016, 07:28:40 am »
Thank you!

You're definitely on the perfect track there - the Year 11 principal beliefs are seriously underlooked. For Islam, I put Tawhid in every single response just about! For Christianity, the Nature of the Trinity. Weaving them into your response is what takes it from narration of a religion, to actual analysis. What I'm saying is: put as many principal beliefs in as is relevant, but you'll find at least one for each religion that you'll find easily applicable - hang on to that one! It's going to be your friend in an exam :)

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #218 on: October 26, 2016, 09:30:20 am »
Q. 11 (2012)
How have religious traditions in Australia given support to the process of Aboriginal reconciliation?

In class we only learnt about Christianity in relation to reconciliation. However in the sample answer they referenced all the major religions... do you think this is necessary?
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #219 on: October 26, 2016, 10:08:01 am »
Q. 11 (2012)
How have religious traditions in Australia given support to the process of Aboriginal reconciliation?

In class we only learnt about Christianity in relation to reconciliation. However in the sample answer they referenced all the major religions... do you think this is necessary?

I think that because the question has "religious traditions" as plural, it's important to show some variation. Christianity is the easiest to talk about in my opinion, because Christianity has had the most to do with Aboriginal Spirituality since colonisation. I'd aim for at least two!

nibblez16

• Forum Regular
  • School: Liverpool Girls
« Reply #220 on: October 26, 2016, 11:09:12 am »
Hii, how long should we spend on each section? Recommended?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #221 on: October 26, 2016, 11:13:58 am »

Hey! It's totally a matter of preference, but I always did:

Multiple Choice: 5 minutes
Question 11: 5 minutes
Section 2: 30 minutes
Section 3: 50 minutes

Depends where your strengths lie ;D

kimmie

• Forum Regular
  • School: St Marys Senior High School
« Reply #222 on: October 26, 2016, 11:44:29 am »
hey guys so for the essay questions, can we give a quote and write (Quran) or (Hadith) near it without stating any names or numbers or do we have to go like (Surah Fatihah) or (Quran 2:24)?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #223 on: October 26, 2016, 11:45:13 am »

Adding on to Jamon: If you use your reading tell well you can shave some time off one section to add to another! I did all of multiple choice in the reading time. This meant an extra few minutes on the essays :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #224 on: October 26, 2016, 11:46:21 am »
hey guys so for the essay questions, can we give a quote and write (Quran) or (Hadith) near it without stating any names or numbers or do we have to go like (Surah Fatihah) or (Quran 2:24)?

I definitely suggest that you aim to write the numbers and be more specific. That being said, if you forget in an exam, it's still important that you try put down "Qur'an" or the equivalent at the least. Always aim to be specific and precise, but we all know that it isn't always achievable :)