HSC Stuff > New South Wales Technical Score Discussion

Last minute dropping a subject

(1/1)

esther609:
Hi, I've been concerned whether to drop 3U maths or not for few weeks now and I need suggestions please :)

My tutor and some other people think with the marks I am getting, 3U won't count into my top 10 Units in the ATAR, thus I should drop and spend more time on other subjects and improve on them.

However, my school teacher (spent 30 years teaching) strongly disagree with the above idea, and keeps telling me that I will improve and my 3U will count into the top 10 Units.

The thing is, I'm not confident with any of my 3U topics and I sort of have to relearn them which aren't too difficult, but I always struggle to apply the knowledge into the actual exam questions. So far, I've been keeping 3U just for the scailing but everyone told me that if I can't get at least in the 70s the scailing won't do much and it will have no affect on my ATAR. I think if I did study (which would be the two days before the 3U exam) I might be able to just get in the 50s.

My overall Yr12 marks were:
Standard English: 75
2U : 74
3U: 60
Chemistry: 77
Senior Science: 90
Heritage Korean: 99

My tutor said improving 2U to 80-85 without 3U will give me a higher ATAR, then having 3U counted in. I haven't started studying for chemistry yet and I was going to spend the extra days on it if I don't have to do 3U. So should I drop 3U and study for the other subjects more or should I just keep it?

I don't know what would get me a better ATAR and what the "smartest" decision is.

studybuddy7777:

--- Quote from: esther609 on October 12, 2016, 01:09:59 pm ---Hi, I've been concerned whether to drop 3U maths or not for few weeks now and I need suggestions please :)

My tutor and some other people think with the marks I am getting, 3U won't count into my top 10 Units in the ATAR, thus I should drop and spend more time on other subjects and improve on them.

However, my school teacher (spent 30 years teaching) strongly disagree with the above idea, and keeps telling me that I will improve and my 3U will count into the top 10 Units.

The thing is, I'm not confident with any of my 3U topics and I sort of have to relearn them which aren't too difficult, but I always struggle to apply the knowledge into the actual exam questions. So far, I've been keeping 3U just for the scailing but everyone told me that if I can't get at least in the 70s the scailing won't do much and it will have no affect on my ATAR. I think if I did study (which would be the two days before the 3U exam) I might be able to just get in the 50s.

My overall Yr12 marks were:
Standard English: 75
2U : 74
3U: 60
Chemistry: 77
Senior Science: 90
Heritage Korean: 99

My tutor said improving 2U to 80-85 without 3U will give me a higher ATAR, then having 3U counted in. I haven't started studying for chemistry yet and I was going to spend the extra days on it if I don't have to do 3U. So should I drop 3U and study for the other subjects more or should I just keep it?

I don't know what would get me a better ATAR and what the "smartest" decision is.

--- End quote ---

Hey esther,
I certainly wouldn't drop any subjects now. You have worked hard and kept going all through Year 12 with the slog of Ext 1 Maths.

Having said that though, you shouldn't put any time into it if it's not going to help you in any way. Only you know this though, so just keep this in mind.

My advice would be to: not drop 3U maths, but not study for it either. You get two bonus points for taking an extension subject. I'm not sure if they count if your mark doesn't count, but just in case.

Chemistry is in the fourth week though, so you will have ample time to study for it. Senior Science/2U/Heritage Korean are all in the 2nd week (i think, in the week after English)
Just look at your timetable and make the decision for yourself,

That is my advice though. Good luck with whatever you do, and for the HSC's!

jamonwindeyer:

--- Quote from: studybuddy7777 on October 12, 2016, 01:23:39 pm ---You get two bonus points for taking an extension subject. I'm not sure if they count if your mark doesn't count, but just in case.

--- End quote ---

Is this like for a uni entry scheme or something? Doesn't happen for your marks :)

--- Quote from: esther609 on October 12, 2016, 01:09:59 pm ---Hi, I've been concerned whether to drop 3U maths or not for few weeks now and I need suggestions please :)

--- End quote ---

So I would look at it this way. If your marks stay similar to what you've gotten throughout Year 12, Extension won't count. It would be a close battle between 2U and 3U, but Extension would likely not count.

That said, I agree with study buddy, you've gotten all the way to the end. I think you should definitely sit the exam, because you never know!! :) how much effort you put in to improving your 3U result, only you can decide, but I would be giving it your best shot! If your Extension results improve it will most likely count, and so I'd be putting some time in to it in conjunction with your others! If you have enough time for your others, of course, but I'd be hanging in there and giving it your best shot :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version