Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:44:17 pm

Author Topic: [Ask Me Anything] #3: jamonwindeyer  (Read 21491 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: [Ask Me Anything] #3: jamonwindeyer
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2017, 05:31:16 pm »
+2
I have two questions to ask you.
How do you recover mentally from a bad 1st term of yr 12 (well only maths..which is 4 units/12)?
Is aiming for a high atar a bad thing? I have a feeling that aiming too high and not achieving it would lead to a disappointment..and aiming too high can possibly seem a guaranteed disappointment.

Hey! I have two answers in that case! ;D

So my first half of Year 12 (for Maths especially) wasn't great. My marks in my half yearlies were decent (certainly nothing horrific), but definitely not up to my standards. My rank slipped pretty harshly and that was a hard strike in the gut. What you need to remember is that these assessments are just fractions of your assessment mark, which is a fraction of your HSC mark, which is a fraction of your ATAR. By themselves, they are insignificant.

Your job will be to use the setbacks constructively. Learn from mistakes. For me, those less than ideal results in the half yearly exams were a kick up the backside. I worked so bloody hard to avoid that happening again, like, far beyond anything I'd done in Math before that. And it worked - I didn't lose another mark in 2U before Trials, and I think I got a little string of 100% in Extension tests too.

The point is, I used the loss and made it a gain. It motivated me to do better - It should do the same for you ;D

Aiming for a high ATAR is never a bad thing. You should always be aiming high! If you want to aim high though, you need to be making steps towards achieving that goal. You can't aim to be a professional soccer player and then never go practice - That doesn't make sense. It is your responsibility to work hard enough to live up to your goals.

Inevitably, people set goals that they don't achieve. Of 77,000 students who sit the HSC, some are bound to be a little disappointed. But fear of disappointment should never dissuade you from setting goals and taking action! :) but remember to take happiness from even the smallest accomplishments. Say you set a goal of 99+, but get 97.5. You have every right to be disappointed about not getting 99+, but you should still be happy about your 97.50.

Aim high, but don't forget to be happy about achieving the smaller goals along the way as well :)

Note: This Q+A has finished, but answering this last question before the thread is locked. If anyone has any more questions for me feel free to PM or post them in a relevant forum section! ;D