Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:49:52 am

Author Topic: VCE Business Management Question Thread!  (Read 228150 times)  Share 

rtops

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: melbourne high school
Re: VCE Business Management Question Thread!
« Reply #585 on: October 15, 2016, 10:31:21 am »
How is organisational inertia a driving force?

Moderator edit: Merged with questions thread.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 08:39:36 pm by Aaron »

Skumzy

• Adventurer
« Reply #586 on: October 26, 2016, 06:09:26 pm »
Sorry if this is a bit of a random/dumb question, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me why the mean score for the Business Exam is so low (~42%)? I saw that both the SAC averages in Unit 3 and 4 are around 66-67%, so I was curious as to why the average drops so much for the exam. Is there anything I should avoid doing to not repeat the same trend?

Thanks!
2015: Computing: Software Development (38)
2016: Computing: Informatics (41) | Business Management | English Language | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Further Mathematics

2017-2020: Bachelor of Computer Science @ Monash University

Feel free to message me for anything related to VCE IT!

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #587 on: October 26, 2016, 06:26:53 pm »
Sorry if this is a bit of a random/dumb question, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me why the mean score for the Business Exam is so low (~42%)? I saw that both the SAC averages in Unit 3 and 4 are around 66-67%, so I was curious as to why the average drops so much for the exam. Is there anything I should avoid doing to not repeat the same trend?

Thanks!

I'd assume it would have something to do with:
a) The exam being more difficult or holistically marked than SACs (although one would imagine that statistical moderation evens this out  ::))
b) Students possibly giving up towards the end of the year, and not having teachers there to 'make' them complete the exam and study.*

* E.g. - Business is generally perceived as an 'easy' subject, which a lot of people who don't care about their ATAR complete; so it wouldn't surprise me if said people don't study or put effort into the exam, because they aren't being forced to by a teacher who has 'made' them study throughout the year for SACs - if that makes sense?

I'm really not 100% sure, VCAA are weird, but those two points may have some relevance? Haha
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

Skumzy

• Adventurer
« Reply #588 on: October 26, 2016, 06:31:38 pm »
I'd assume it would have something to do with:
a) The exam being more difficult or holistically marked than SACs (although one would imagine that statistical moderation evens this out  ::))
b) Students possibly giving up towards the end of the year, and not having teachers there to 'make' them complete the exam and study.*

* E.g. - Business is generally perceived as an 'easy' subject, which a lot of people who don't care about their ATAR complete; so it wouldn't surprise me if said people don't study or put effort into the exam, because they aren't being forced to by a teacher who has 'made' them study throughout the year for SACs - if that makes sense?

I'm really not 100% sure, VCAA are weird, but those two points may have some relevance? Haha

That definitely makes sense and is probably the case. Hopefully I can take advantage of that and possibly get ahead of the others by a bit :P
2015: Computing: Software Development (38)
2016: Computing: Informatics (41) | Business Management | English Language | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Further Mathematics

2017-2020: Bachelor of Computer Science @ Monash University

Feel free to message me for anything related to VCE IT!

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #589 on: October 26, 2016, 06:38:18 pm »
That definitely makes sense and is probably the case. Hopefully I can take advantage of that and possibly get ahead of the others by a bit :P

That being said, don't read too much into the statistics and everything - with regards to the errors people make and how to avoid them, the very best thing you can do is go through the previous examiner's reports, because they'll outline what common errors there were in each exam :)
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

qwertyu1234567

• Trailblazer
  • School: abc
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #590 on: October 27, 2016, 06:28:30 pm »
What level of planning (strategic, tactical or operational) would be used when an organisation is reviewing is policies?

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #591 on: October 27, 2016, 10:03:26 pm »
What level of planning (strategic, tactical or operational) would be used when an organisation is reviewing is policies?

It would probably depend on what the policy is regarding, but I'd say either strategic or tactical - probably strategic if I had to pick, but you could justify either one.

• Forum Regular
« Reply #592 on: October 28, 2016, 08:00:48 am »
How is organisational inertia a driving force?

Moderator edit: Merged with questions thread.

It's not. This one is solely a restraining force (at least that's how VCAA want you to see it). You could argue that lack of employee mental toughness may see management determined to implement something to get them out of their comfort one (i.e implement a policy that will show organisational inertia) to develop more stable employees. However I would stay clear of this, it's like trying to justify a productivity performance indicator in a financial case study. There are better driving forces to choose from! :)

Sanasafi

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #593 on: October 29, 2016, 05:49:56 pm »
What is the role of the Human Resource Manager under the centralised and decentralised approach?
What are the similarities and differences between the centralised and decentralised approach in employee relations?

• Forum Regular
« Reply #594 on: October 29, 2016, 06:34:02 pm »
What is the role of the Human Resource Manager under the centralised and decentralised approach?
What are the similarities and differences between the centralised and decentralised approach in employee relations?

Hi there,
Role of HRM under decentralised approach falls within any task under the management roles of organising, leading, controlling and planning.
For example, HRM need to CONTROLL all collective agreements to ensure the conditions of employment are adequate and not too generous/ too inferior for the skillset of the worker, by monitoring them and evaluating where necessary.

For example, HRM's need to organise times for employees to come and discuss collective agreements. Likewise, they need to organise suitable training sessions for T+D.

For example, HRM'S need to PLAN their future staffing needs (HR planning) to best coincide with future organisational objectives. (Set goals of base amount of staff needed to accomplish decision making)

Similarities:
-Both include union presence
-Both have awards as the basis of conditions of employment
-Both can have disputes resolved by a third party member

Differences:
-Decentralised is more flexible than centralised due to the ability to offer elevated conditions of employment beyond the basic awards (I.e rewards, performance based pay)

-Wages and conditions are negotiated at the workplace level for decentralised ER, as oppose to the whole industry for Centralised where they are set out by awards with no enterprise bargaining.

- Level of union involvement differs via decentralised ER industries having less ability to generate funds for unions due to the individual condition features, whereas in centralised Union pressures are more evident due to the same conditions for everyone in the industry, meaning inferior conditions result in mass dissatisfaction and union pressures.

Mubink51

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #595 on: October 29, 2016, 06:35:43 pm »

So the main role of a human resource manager is to manage the relationship between the employees and employer within an organisation.
In a decentralised system of employee relations, a HR Manager has the role of co-ordinating the negotiation of the collective bargaining agreement on behalf of the organisation.
The HR manager has to take into account employee interests and desires such as an increase in wages or annual leave during the negotiations of the agreement as well as the financial situation of the organisation.

The HR Manager also needs to help bring about dispute resolution through communication, negotiation and problem solving if any conflicts arise. THis is relevant for both decentralised and centralised systems of employee relations.

A HR manager working under both systems of employee relations also needs to ensure that once new collective bargaining agreements or awards are created and established, that all necessary changes are successfully implemented into the organisation by the due date.

Similarities of the centralised and decentralised systems of employee relations is that they both have a fair work commision who oversees workplace relations. This was the AIRC under the centralised system and Fair work Australia in our modern decentralised system.
Both systems also use awards to set out the minimum wages and conditions for employees within a given industry.

Differences include that under a decentralised system of employee relations, an employee can be hired under either the industry award, a collective bargaining agreement or an individual contract, whilst in a centralised system, employees can only be employed under an industry wide award.
Another difference between the two systems is that in a centralised system of employee relations, governments have greater control over the economy as each employee in a particular indsutry was earining the same wage and had the same working conditions whereas in a decentralised system, employees wages and conditions will generally differ within the industry due to workplace agreememnts
Hope this helps
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 06:38:41 pm by Mubink51 »

Sanasafi

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #596 on: October 29, 2016, 09:37:57 pm »
So the main role of a human resource manager is to manage the relationship between the employees and employer within an organisation.
In a decentralised system of employee relations, a HR Manager has the role of co-ordinating the negotiation of the collective bargaining agreement on behalf of the organisation.
The HR manager has to take into account employee interests and desires such as an increase in wages or annual leave during the negotiations of the agreement as well as the financial situation of the organisation.

The HR Manager also needs to help bring about dispute resolution through communication, negotiation and problem solving if any conflicts arise. THis is relevant for both decentralised and centralised systems of employee relations.

A HR manager working under both systems of employee relations also needs to ensure that once new collective bargaining agreements or awards are created and established, that all necessary changes are successfully implemented into the organisation by the due date.

Similarities of the centralised and decentralised systems of employee relations is that they both have a fair work commision who oversees workplace relations. This was the AIRC under the centralised system and Fair work Australia in our modern decentralised system.
Both systems also use awards to set out the minimum wages and conditions for employees within a given industry.

Differences include that under a decentralised system of employee relations, an employee can be hired under either the industry award, a collective bargaining agreement or an individual contract, whilst in a centralised system, employees can only be employed under an industry wide award.
Another difference between the two systems is that in a centralised system of employee relations, governments have greater control over the economy as each employee in a particular indsutry was earining the same wage and had the same working conditions whereas in a decentralised system, employees wages and conditions will generally differ within the industry due to workplace agreememnts
Hope this helps

Thank you, this is very helpful

melissaromeo

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Mill Park Secondary College
« Reply #597 on: October 30, 2016, 11:57:54 am »
Hi, for Maslow's theory is belonginess and love an extrinsic or intrinsic need?

MarinaB

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #598 on: October 30, 2016, 01:10:43 pm »
Not 100% sure what you mean by belongingness and love
Generally when I think about Maslows theory I think a hierarchy moving from bottom to top (like a pyramid) :

Self-actualisation
Esteem
Social
Safety and security
Physiological   

The bottom 3 are your intrinsic or essential needs the top 2 are extrinsic needs

Remember though in Maslows theory needs are sequential which means employees climb them like a ladder starting at Physiological at the bottom and progressing to self actualisation at the top
Maslow says that striving to meet each need is what motivates an employee and every need plays a part in producing motivation

I hope that kinda answers your question???

Mubink51

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #599 on: October 30, 2016, 01:23:00 pm »
Belongingness and love is most likely referring to social needs, i.e workplace relationships and strong workplace bonds. Without these social needs and employee may be unmotivated and intrinsic motivators such as esteem and actualisation may not motivate the employee as they do not feel as if they are well appreciated by other staff if they are lacking a sense of social belonging for example, hence why they are placed below esteem and actualisation. 
Social needs are intrinsic needs to answer your question