Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:33:12 pm

Author Topic: Senior Science Discussion Thread  (Read 19538 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
Senior Science Discussion Thread
« on: July 14, 2016, 03:05:32 pm »
Here is a place to chat with Senior Science students and ask questions!!  ;D

Senior Science Notes: Available In The Notes Section for FREE!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 03:13:36 pm by jamonwindeyer »

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
Re: Senior Science Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 03:08:40 pm »
Great! Although i dont have any specific questions now i definitely will in the near future!

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 03:09:34 pm »
Great! Although i dont have any specific questions now i definitely will in the near future!
And although I didn't do this subject, will try to help out as much as possible!
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 03:11:10 pm »
Here's the syllabus just in case anyone's interested: https://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/senior-science-st6-syl.pdf  :D

Although I don't think that there are many resources for all you senior science kids unfortunately  :'(

What I wish there could be though is that there could be an "extension 1 and extension 2" senior science

Anyways best of luck guys  ;)

P.S. Sorry for the intrusion. I'm not a senior science student  :(

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 03:12:51 pm »
I will get notes on here when i can motivate myself atm im good with being lazy ;D but hopefully this could be a place where all senior science students can get help from not only other senior science kids, but all sciences as there is so much crossover

jnicko989

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 12:25:50 pm »
Our teacher gave us a bunch of summaries if anyone wants them - our lessons are outside the timetable so we have to learn it ourselves for the most part.

Does anyone know what this dot point means?

9.3.2.B (Bionics, topic 2 - Heart and Flow of Blood)
Plan and perform an investigation to identify individual aspects that comprise the heartbeat.

What does it mean by individual aspects?

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 12:49:09 pm »
Our teacher gave us a bunch of summaries if anyone wants them - our lessons are outside the timetable so we have to learn it ourselves for the most part.

Does anyone know what this dot point means?

9.3.2.B (Bionics, topic 2 - Heart and Flow of Blood)
Plan and perform an investigation to identify individual aspects that comprise the heartbeat.

What does it mean by individual aspects?

Some things or factors.

Basically.. Plan and perform an investigation to identify Some things or factors that comprise the heartbeat.

jnicko989

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 01:49:03 pm »
I mean like what are the aspects that comprise it? The valves and muscle contractions and stuff?

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 02:06:42 pm »
Im not sure how much you know so i am going under the assumption you want the whole dot point covered, so ill start from the basics up until the extent of what i know.

The heart is compromised of two beats: a 'lub' and a 'dup' the lub is a generally longer, softer sound than the 'dup'. The 'dup' is a high pitched, short sound that represents the snapping shut of aortic valves. This is when the heart relaxes.

Look up heart murmurs seeing as i dont know much on them but..
Normally a heart would go lub-dup---lub-dup---(note the dashes are representative of time)
Bradycardia is abnormally slow eg lub---dup------lub---dup------
Tachycardia is abnormally fast eg lubdup-lubdup-lubdup-

For this experiment i used a ecg (electrocardiogram) with points labelled p,q, r, s, t (if you havent done this let me know and ill explain this) and a stethoscope to see if all of us had 'normal' hearts.
Like all science methods, we wrote a prac report and concluded that we all have normal hearts. Our discussion was as these conditions are quite rare we expected (hypothesised) that none of us had faulty heart conditions that we didnt know about.

Hope this helps!  ;D

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 05:08:48 pm »
lub-dup---lub-dup---(note the dashes are representative of time)
 eg lub---dup------lub---dup------
 eg lubdup-lubdup-lubdup-

Love this aha

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 08:43:40 pm »
Haha it sticks in your head the best if someone explains something in a really stupid way  ;D ;D

And explaining "lubdups" is about as unsciency can get :D

jnicko989

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 10:32:40 am »

For this experiment i used a ecg (electrocardiogram) with points labelled p,q, r, s, t (if you havent done this let me know and ill explain this) and a stethoscope to see if all of us had 'normal' hearts.
Like all science methods, we wrote a prac report and concluded that we all have normal hearts. Our discussion was as these conditions are quite rare we expected (hypothesised) that none of us had faulty heart conditions that we didnt know about.

We didn't do that experiment - that's probably why I am so lost - I knew partially about the lub dup thing, but that still helped. Would you be able to explain the electrocardiogram? I found the page in my textbook that talks about all of this but like it doesn't what the p, q, r, s and t stand for/represent.

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 01:55:19 pm »
We didn't do that experiment - that's probably why I am so lost - I knew partially about the lub dup thing, but that still helped. Would you be able to explain the electrocardiogram? I found the page in my textbook that talks about all of this but like it doesn't what the p, q, r, s and t stand for/represent.
Hey jnicko, sure!

The best way I can show this to you is through a diagram, so one should be attached.
The electrocardiogram is quite simply defined as a test which tests the electrical activity of the heart (eg the ventricular and aortic valves) to detect problems. It is the typical wave that comes out of the monitor that you see everywhere (like the one that beeps on TV when the patient is alive and flatlines when there is no pulse ;D).
It is important to note however, a "beat" is from P to P, and not from P to T (some textbooks/sources use a "U" as resting time as well but most don't- just putting it out there)

Hope this helps otherwise feel free to ask :)

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 01:58:04 pm »
Hey jnicko, sure!

The best way I can show this to you is through a diagram, so one should be attached.
The electrocardiogram is quite simply defined as a test which tests the electrical activity of the heart (eg the ventricular and aortic valves) to detect problems. It is the typical wave that comes out of the monitor that you see everywhere (like the one that beeps on TV when the patient is alive and flatlines when there is no pulse ;D).
It is important to note however, a "beat" is from P to P, and not from P to T (some textbooks/sources use a "U" as resting time as well but most don't- just putting it out there)

Hope this helps otherwise feel free to ask :)

Awesome explanation, fantastic diagram, studybuddy you're a legend.

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 02:04:40 pm »
Awesome explanation, fantastic diagram, studybuddy you're a legend.

Thanks :D If we going to talk about being slower and faster (your favourite jake ;)) the lub---dup------lub---dup------(bradycardia) would have a more gentle slope and in effect will look like the graph has been squashed (from the top). I think (dont quote me) bradycardia is any resting heart rate under 60 bpm

Tachycardia (the lubdup-lubdups) would have a more harsh slope as the heart beats faster. I think (again dont quote me) that Tachycardia is any resting heart rate above 130 or so bpm

Hopes this helps and sorry it didnt sound as smart and sciency as the last explanation and no pretty pictures 😂 ;D