Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 11:52:36 am

Author Topic: English Language Analysis  (Read 1845 times)  Share 

Olivia Shamoon

English Language Analysis
« on: September 29, 2016, 02:39:13 pm »
Hi guys, i really need help with language analysis (comparing 2 articles).

When i write a language analysis, am i supposed to speak about the persuasive techniques in my bodies? or do i speak about the language? If i have to speak about the language, how do i do that? Can someone please show me an example. My teacher isn't good at explaining language analysis. Also, do we have to chunk the articles and speak about the authors arguments in order?
Please help!

Thank you.

primrosebell

Re: English Language Analysis
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 05:37:04 pm »
+2
It is useful to mention persuasive techniques in the body, but essentially the marks are allocated towards discussing the intended effect of the language also and how it positions the reader. Therefore I would advice you to focus on mostly that aspect, as assessors mainly concentrate on it. In speaking about the language, ensure that you are able extracting the gist of an argument from not only the words but also the visual. So try to be selective as possible in the type of elements you choose to discuss. This will enable to effectively argue the writer's point as well as illustrate your analytical skills. In an article it is best to follow it chronologically, as the writer argument is established through the structure. If you want examples of comparative language analysis read, go to the submission and marking section. Reading others work will allow to take note of the structure and how they use language.

Olivia Shamoon

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 11:37:12 am »
Thank you so much!! :D :D

tim.wells

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 12:52:25 pm »
+3
Hi Olivia,

I have a paragraph structure for language analysis which really helped me simplify what I needed to do and make sure I spoke about what the examiners wanted.

I would start by reading the stimulus material 3 times: once for background info, once to pick specific argument/themes and once to pick out specific techniques/language. I would then write 3 - 4 paragraphs, with each paragraph focusing on a main argument. I would structure them as so:

Topic sentence (i.e. what is the argument) [~ 5%]
Techniques/Language (how does the author back up their argument?) [~ 35%]
Effect (What is the intended effect on the reader) [~ 60%]

That way you have a nice logical structure and you focus on where the most marks are.

I have a preference for talking about the language that is used, rather than a lot of techniques. I feel that discussing the language allows me to speak in more nuanced terms about the effect on the reader. So I don't recommend going into the exam, like a lot of people do, looking for categories that the author's techniques will fall into, I think that can often be a trap. What I recommend is closely analysing the words themselves, and how those words are intended to persuade the reader. Also it is worthwhile to remember that examiners put a lot of emphasis on tone and tonal shifts. So the bulk of your discussion of the language is how it affects the tone of the piece, and how that tone subsequently makes you feel about the author's argument.

So to distill the steps, just think: Argument, Tone, Effect.
Tim Wells

Law undergrad at Monash University

ATAR- 99.20
English Tutor - English (48), Literature (47), Australian History (47), Economics (45), Legal Studies (38), Maths Methods (31)

Get more answers for your questions as well as weekly tips and blog posts, from my friends and I at:

HSC - http://bit.ly/HSChelp
VCE - http://bit.ly/VCEhelp

Olivia Shamoon

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 08:39:38 pm »
Thanks Tim  :) thats very helpful! I'll try and use that structure.