Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:21:15 am

Author Topic: Physics/Chem Book Query  (Read 1919 times)  Share 

Mr. Study

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Onion Knight
  • Respect: +18
Physics/Chem Book Query
« on: February 18, 2012, 11:55:34 am »
Hey,

Similar question to the post on the Math Board.

Could anyone recommend books, that have exam level questions, for Physics and/or Chemistry?

Thanks. :)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
Re: Physics/Chem Book Query
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 12:12:48 pm »
+2
NEAP, A+, Lisachem, Checkpoints

Mr. Study

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Onion Knight
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 12:35:31 pm »
Thanks Paul. :)

Would someone be able to give me a review on NEAP/Lisachem books? (Any subject)

Thanks. :D
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:06:04 pm »
+2
NEAP - generally good, probably the value for money isn't as good as other books because the amount of questions you get is a little less than other books whilst the cost of the book is quite high. However, their solutions are generally good and there are quite few mistakes. The difficulty of NEAP books are fairly consistent at around exam standard, which means that it's not too hard yet not too easy. It covers all of the areas of studies separately, so it's divided into each topic, which might be good for study throughout the year.

Lisachem - there are three books which I have used. Lisachem Chemistry Student Guides (2 yellow books, Unit 3 + Unit 4) is a good set of notes with questions at the end of each section. I found these helpful as the chem textbooks are quite overloaded with unnecessary information and is missing information in some areas (science textbooks are usually crap). So these are quite good value and also a good study aide.

Lisachem - Chemistry Review Questions by Kevin Berry (1 blue book) is good - there is good value for money in this book because you get A LOT of questions for the amount of money you pay, however, the quality of the questions aren't as good as NEAP and you get a few dodgy questions in there, about 85% of the questions are good, however, and the difficulty ranges from fairly easy to fairly difficult.

Lisachem - Physics Student Guide (1 reddish-larva looking book) is alright too, this is notes only, so there aren't really any questions, but it's a good course summary and is really easy to read. It's actually more than a notes book however, I guess it can even be considered a trimmed down textbook, in that it presents all the information in a textbook manner, but without so much fluff. I liked this book, but to recommend it, I'd stick to saying, get it if you have the money and if you like it, but it's not essential.

Hope I've helped :)

Mr. Study

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Onion Knight
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 03:36:40 pm »
Hey,

Thanks! You've more than helped me. :)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ