Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 03:15:27 pm

Author Topic: English without the 1/2??  (Read 778 times)  Share 

mardi

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Williamstown High
  • School Grad Year: 2017
English without the 1/2??
« on: November 18, 2016, 09:53:09 am »
Did unit 1/2 of English Language but Im not enjoying it and hate my teacher, would I be disadvantaged switching to normal English for 3/4?
Also would PE be easier to pick up than English?

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
Re: English without the 1/2??
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 10:23:39 am »
Did unit 1/2 of English Language but Im not enjoying it and hate my teacher, would I be disadvantaged switching to normal English for 3/4?
Also would PE be easier to pick up than English?
Content will be different but it's quite easy to pick up so I don't think you'll be at a disadvantage. One of my friends also did EL in year 11 and switched to mainstream English in year 12 and was absolutely fine. It is, after all, really building on the skills learnt in previous years and actually quite similar. She did regret the switch though as she found EL more interesting, so just make sure you're confident with the reason why you want to switch. :)

I can't comment on whether PE is easier, but just remember you need an English subject. So you won't be able to do PE instead of English but you can pick up both of them if you have the space to do so. :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 10:25:15 am by Coffee »

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
Re: English without the 1/2??
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 10:52:44 am »
It's entirely possible to do 3/4 English without 1/2 English.

Case study: I did Lit 1/2 with a friend and then we both moved into English mainstream in Year 12. He ended up with a Premier's award and I got a decent score, and we had the two highest scores in the cohort. There's no real content to learn in English and instead it's about building up the skills you need for writing tasks, meaning that you've not missed out.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 07:15:58 pm by Alter »
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne