Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 11:55:56 pm

Author Topic: Definitions for Bus Man  (Read 3553 times)  Share 

Grape

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
Definitions for Bus Man
« on: May 27, 2016, 10:56:47 pm »
Hey,
So I'm currently doing unit 1 Bus Man (as a year 10 so I have no experience with VCE) and am sitting my exam next week.
Before being told by my teacher that we only needed to memorise definitions from chapter 6 I made flashcards for chapters 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 and started committing them to memory.
Would you recommend memorising these flashcards, even if they're not needed for the exam?
Are definitions from unit 1 assumed knowledge for future exams? Should I continue making flash cards for every chapter I do from now on and keep revising them so when I get to unit 4 then I will still remember unit 1 definitions?

Also, I was looking through the 2015 exams and one of the questions was 'Distinguish between job analysis and job design' which is part of unit 1, chapter 6 (or maybe part of another chapter further on)
Does this mean that when you sit your unit 4 exams you are being tested on everything from units 1, 2, 3 and 4, or just unit 3 and 4 stuff?
Sorry for the ignorance, my school didn't explain anything about VCE to me.
2017: Business Management [43]
2018: Accounting [49] - UMEP Accounting [4.5] - Further Maths [45] - English Language [41] - Maths Methods CAS [35]

upandgo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
Re: Definitions for Bus Man
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 01:27:54 am »
+1
unit 1/2 isnt tested in unit 3/4, so you dont need to know it for the 3/4 exam  :). it's good to memorise as many definitions as you can (or even formulate your own; this will be handy if you're expected to define key terminology in your exam). using key business terminology in your answers shows your examiner that you know the course well, so even if your teacher said chapter 6, it'd be advantageous to learn the others if you're able to.

questions mentioned in VCAA exams pertain to the 3/4 course, not unit 1/2. job analysis and job design are covered in more detail in 3/4 so it's not a necessity to remember 1/2 knowledge. completing practice questions is always useful, especially before an exam, so i would focus on that alongside learning definitions (writing responses can also help to commit definitions to long term memory  :P)

hope i helped!! good luck for your BM exam!
2015: Biology | Accounting
2016: English [44] | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Business Management | Legal Studies

Grape

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 01:03:33 pm »
completing practice questions is always useful, especially before an exam, so i would focus on that alongside learning definitions

Would the review questions from the textbook be enough? Or do you mean doing practice exams, as my teacher supplied me with 1 but I can't find any others on the internet.
Thanks for the help :)
2018: Accounting [49] - UMEP Accounting [4.5] - Further Maths [45] - English Language [41] - Maths Methods CAS [35]

upandgo

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 06:19:59 pm »
Would the review questions from the textbook be enough? Or do you mean doing practice exams, as my teacher supplied me with 1 but I can't find any others on the internet.
Thanks for the help :)

in my opinion i found most review questions to be absolutely irrelevant (from my memory, many of them involved researching websites and drawing concept maps), however the review questions that include case studies + questions would be useful, as your BM exam will most likely require you to answer questions regarding a case study. not sure if the review questions have answers though, so it'd be good to get your teacher or somebody to mark your responses (in case you're making any small mistakes)  :)

practice exams are good, but as your teacher/school is publishing the exam (and not an external source like VCAA) i'd say to look at his/her questions (and grab more off them if you can!). this way, you'll be used to the way your teacher phrases the questions, and in your BM exam you'll have a familiarity with the way questions are worded.

if you have any company revision books for BM (eg, A+ notes), they're suitable for revision (it's not necessary though, especially for unit 1/2)  :)
2016: English [44] | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Business Management | Legal Studies

Grape

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 05:39:12 pm »
not sure if the review questions have answers though, so it'd be good to get your teacher or somebody to mark your responses (in case you're making any small mistakes)  :)

My teacher sent us the answers for all of the review questions. Some of them are completely useless though, they just copied and pasted a whole paragraph of the textbook as an answer, meaning I have to break it down into the important facts myself...

I was just thinking today, do you know how you are expected to word your questions? For example, the answers give this:

The common feature shared by all for-profit organisations is that they exist to provide a product or service that is demanded by consumers and which, thus, generates turnover, producing profit. It is also a fundamental fact that all profits are shared among the owners or shareholders of the business.

But my answer is still correct, just not worded as sophisticated:

All for profit organisation supply products/services to consumers in order to make a profit.

Are there extra marks on offer for making it sound like the original answer? (I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be, but asking just in case)

upandgo

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 12:10:36 am »
My teacher sent us the answers for all of the review questions. Some of them are completely useless though, they just copied and pasted a whole paragraph of the textbook as an answer, meaning I have to break it down into the important facts myself...

I was just thinking today, do you know how you are expected to word your questions? For example, the answers give this:

The common feature shared by all for-profit organisations is that they exist to provide a product or service that is demanded by consumers and which, thus, generates turnover, producing profit. It is also a fundamental fact that all profits are shared among the owners or shareholders of the business.

But my answer is still correct, just not worded as sophisticated:

All for profit organisation supply products/services to consumers in order to make a profit.

Are there extra marks on offer for making it sound like the original answer? (I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be, but asking just in case)

it depends on what the question is asking, along with how many marks are allocated to the question  :) if a question carries 1 or 2 marks, a briefer and shorter answer is required. however a question with 8-10 marks allocated to it would require more of an in depth discussion. so basically guide the length of your answer according to the marks allocated.

although your answer is correct, you may not score full marks for it. your answer contains the right elements, but a little more explanation is required to gain full marks. when answering a question (in not just BM, but any theory-based subject), try to think widely to ensure that you gain full marks. assuming that your question was about features of a for-profit organisation -> their main function is to exist for the sole purpose of attaining profit (by providing goods/services to consumers at a cost). however, you can go even further and  expound on what the organisation does with the profit it earns - you dont have to mention every possible area the organisation spends its profit in (mentioning one or two is sufficient), eg. 'for profit organisations then distribute a portion of their profit figure to their shareholders' (which is what cambridge's answer mentioned). thinking broadly will show the examiners your familiarity with the content, and also ensure that you gain full marks for the question so long as the points you raise are relevant to what the question is asking you.