Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 04:24:05 am

Author Topic: Search for a better health Question  (Read 1988 times)  Share 

CinnamonTea

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Prairie wood High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Search for a better health Question
« on: July 17, 2016, 06:44:03 am »
Hi, I'm really confused about the difference between control and prevention.
I understand that control is when the disease is already present and is how to manage it
Prevention is more like cautious methods to prevent it from happening in the first place.
However in the exam particularly in multiple choice, I get  confused. Can anyone please clear any doubts. Thanks

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: Search for a better health Question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 07:46:18 am »
I understand that control is when the disease is already present and is how to manage it
Prevention is more like cautious methods to prevent it from happening in the first place.
However in the exam particularly in multiple choice, I get  confused. Can anyone please clear any doubts. Thanks

Yeah you have basically got the concept in a nutshell. The way it was taught to me was that control was short term, get rid of it immediately and prevention is more long term, how can we eradicate the disease.
If asked for an example, use the smallpox epidemic, which was successfully eradicated with cowpox (a non virulent disease that protects you from smallpox)
^^however i think this may be later on and im just getting my dot points confused lol

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
  • It's never to late to start, so just get it done
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 06:39:43 pm »
When asked about control, you are looking for ways to control the pathogens/vectors/pests in order to keep the disease/pest localized in area. Examples of this can include the fruit fly exclusion zones (FFEZ) in NSW to prevent fruit flies (Drosophilia) from entering states where they can cause damage to fruit crops.
Prevention is the methods people or the government takes to protect people from contracting the pathogen rather than controlling the pathogen itself. Examples of this can include vaccination programs in school to prevent kids from contracting Measles, Mumps or Rubella in the form of the MMR vaccine.

Hope this helps
ATAR: 93

English (Advanced): 88
Mathematics: 81
Biology: 91
Physics: 85
Chemistry: 82
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 88

Most of my knowledge lies in Bio so ask me anything on that

kevin217

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 11:32:57 pm »

This is be over simplifying it but my teacher's trick was C is for control and community (draining of swamps, anti-malarial vaccines) while P is for protection and person (mosquito nets and repellent).