Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:25:28 pm

Author Topic: Ancient History Exam Discussion  (Read 11033 times)

BPunjabi

• Forum Obsessive
  • So... Hows life?
Re: Ancient History Exam Discussion
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 05:16:30 pm »
Lol just think I got all of MC right... was really worried about the cult as I had no fucking clue.... I am expecting to get around 90 but I fucked up the 10 marker scientist one as I left 4 minutes for it... I could get 3-4 marks for it but thats it
Did HSC in 2016 and was first person to get 100. Aeronautical engineering for me now :P
  <-- CLICK ME

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 05:19:02 pm »
Lol just think I got all of MC right... was really worried about the cult as I had no fucking clue.... I am expecting to get around 90 but I fucked up the 10 marker scientist one as I left 4 minutes for it... I could get 3-4 marks for it but thats it

Sounds like you smashed out the exam! Congratulations :)
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

BPunjabi

• Forum Obsessive
  • So... Hows life?
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 05:21:07 pm »
Sounds like you smashed out the exam! Congratulations :)

Jakes I am coming second in the class with an average of 60-75% due to our teacher being a shit marker.. Am I fucked on missing a good rank?
Did HSC in 2016 and was first person to get 100. Aeronautical engineering for me now :P
  <-- CLICK ME

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 05:34:11 pm »
Jakes I am coming second in the class with an average of 60-75% due to our teacher being a shit marker.. Am I fucked on missing a good rank?

Second in the class is a good rank. Forget about ranks/scaling/raw marks, because none of that matters anymore. Just do the best you can, in each of your exams, and you'll receive the best Atar possibe.
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 05:56:31 pm »
Dammit are you sure that was Dionysus? nooooo

And damn. The personality questions were TOUGH! I did Xerxes, and the 10 marker was on his relationships with Persians, and the 15 marker on his death?? Wth?

Anyway I'm so glad it's done!
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

caitie145

• Trailblazer
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 06:05:03 pm »
if anyone's interested the ancient paper is up on the bostes website: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/2016/exams/2016-hsc-ancient-history.pdf
Pathways :)
Year 1: 2016
Advanced English: band 5
Extension English: E3
Ancient History: band 4

Year 2: 2017
Legal Studies
PDHPE
General Maths
Senior Science

BPunjabi

• Forum Obsessive
  • So... Hows life?
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 06:07:33 pm »
if anyone's interested the ancient paper is up on the bostes website: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/2016/exams/2016-hsc-ancient-history.pdf

That was quick...

I feel like we got the easiest paper this year, well maybe for my sections (pericles athens, hatshepsut and Egypt: To the death of Thut IV). What did you guys write for the women section and also slaves?
  <-- CLICK ME

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 06:12:58 pm »
Dammit are you sure that was Dionysus? nooooo

And damn. The personality questions were TOUGH! I did Xerxes, and the 10 marker was on his relationships with Persians, and the 15 marker on his death?? Wth?

Anyway I'm so glad it's done!

Yeah apparently it was the dionystic frieze or something? Like thats the name of the painting. So annoying that ancient exams always do that haha, theres always that one source that you'll never be able to get unless you've studied that one specifically before. But oh well, its just one mark that it sounds like most people lost haha, I'm sure you did absolutely fab in all your other sections. I heard that Xerxes was tough! I'm lucky I do Agrippina because the part b is almost always the exact same thing, but part a was a little bit specific for us. I'm sure you smashed it though, another exam to tick off the list!!

That was quick...

I feel like we got the easiest paper this year, well maybe for my sections (pericles athens, hatshepsut and Egypt: To the death of Thut IV). What did you guys write for the women section and also slaves?

Do you mean the woman question for Pompeii? I spoke about how many woman in Pompeii were able to subvert the social hierarchy and expectations and obtain economic and social success, and then backed that up with the Julia Felix source and then mentioned Eumachia. Then I did the other one on occupations that women could have in Pompeii (bit of a stretch haha) as cult priestesses (mentioned source D), and i mentioned how the temple of Isis in particular accepted women, and then mentioned prostitution as another common occupation because it wasn't illegal.

Also, did anyone find that this paper was weirdly focused on Pompeii? There were so many questions only about Pompeii haha instead of Pompeii AND Herculaneum which they usually try and force students to focus on.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

BPunjabi

• Forum Obsessive
  • So... Hows life?
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 06:16:04 pm »
Yeah apparently it was the dionystic frieze or something? Like thats the name of the painting. So annoying that ancient exams always do that haha, theres always that one source that you'll never be able to get unless you've studied that one specifically before. But oh well, its just one mark that it sounds like most people lost haha, I'm sure you did absolutely fab in all your other sections. I heard that Xerxes was tough! I'm lucky I do Agrippina because the part b is almost always the exact same thing, but part a was a little bit specific for us. I'm sure you smashed it though, another exam to tick off the list!!

Do you mean the woman question for Pompeii? I spoke about how many woman in Pompeii were able to subvert the social hierarchy and expectations and obtain economic and social success, and then backed that up with the Julia Felix source and then mentioned Eumachia. Then I did the other one on occupations that women could have in Pompeii (bit of a stretch haha) as cult priestesses (mentioned source D), and i mentioned how the temple of Isis in particular accepted women, and then mentioned prostitution as another common occupation because it wasn't illegal.

Also, did anyone find that this paper was weirdly focused on Pompeii? There were so many questions only about Pompeii haha instead of Pompeii AND Herculaneum which they usually try and force students to focus on.

Hey with public buildings did you just describe the role of each in the forum? I did that and also mentioned bathes and tabernae?
  <-- CLICK ME

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 06:21:39 pm »
Hey with public buildings did you just describe the role of each in the forum? I did that and also mentioned bathes and tabernae?
I didn't go into explicit detail about everything (mainly cos I couldn't remember haha, plus there wasn't much space to write and I didn't want to do what I did in modern and write WAY to much for a 5 marker), so instead I spoke about the general roles of public buildings - so either law making, business or religion (theres probably more than that haha but thats all I could remember) - and then gave an example for all of them. So I mentioned and described the functions of the Basilica, the various temples (Apollo and Jupiter) and the macellum in the forum so I could keep linking the source :) But I'm sure linking to the baths and tabernae's would only strengthen your argument :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:28:18 pm by sudodds »

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
Ancient History Exam Discussion
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 07:40:16 pm »
I did much the same as sudodds in Pompeii and Herc I think! I found the multiple choice which asked you to refer to ONLY the source given weird, but I think I got it in the end! I agree that Xerxes was tricky.
HSC 2016: Adv. English [83] Adv. Maths [89] Physics [80] Chemistry [85] Ancient History [94]
ATAR - 92.70

Wasaabi

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 08:04:32 pm »
Do you guys think if, in the women's role question, I just wrote about their economic abilities, roles as priestesses, ability to own and rent property and the freedwomen helping husbands run businesses from home I would be able to get close to full marks?
Also, did how many points did you write about for the last question? I did an paragraph on technology in general and linked it to philodemas project, bisel/laser and Fiorelli.

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 08:09:00 pm »

That was quick...

I assume for slaves you mean the Periclean Athens 5-marker? I wrote about the roles of privately owned (e.g cooking, maintinence, tutoring etc.) and state owned slaves (e.g manual labour, military fillers etc.). Hopefully that's enough!
HSC 2016: Adv. English [83] Adv. Maths [89] Physics [80] Chemistry [85] Ancient History [94]
ATAR - 92.70

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 08:10:59 pm »

Do you guys think if, in the women's role question, I just wrote about their economic abilities, roles as priestesses, ability to own and rent property and the freedwomen helping husbands run businesses from home I would be able to get close to full marks?
Also, did how many points did you write about for the last question? I did an paragraph on technology in general and linked it to philodemas project, bisel/laser and Fiorelli.

Sounds good to me! For the 10 marker I did a paragraph on computer usage, a paragraph on imaging techniques and a paragraph on forensic analysis (I.e bisel/laser, sewerage analysis and the root work in the source they gave us! Idk what I'll get for it tho
ATAR - 92.70

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 08:11:44 pm »
I don't know exactly how many marks you'd get, but you've definately hit a lot of important points so I'd say there's definately a strong possibility!
With the last question, what I did was a paragraph of Fiorelli and how plaster was "new technology" which contributed to the expansion of knowledge at the time, however this also destroyed a lot of evidence as well which was a limitation. Then I linked that to digital reconstructions as a non-destructive way to study the past, and then spoke about other forms of technology such as x-rays and linked that to Estelle Lazer :) And that was pretty much all I can remember haha but I think that was most of what I wrote