Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 05:24:47 pm

Author Topic: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread  (Read 277562 times)  Share 

Celeriac

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: --
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #195 on: October 24, 2016, 08:30:43 pm »
Careful not to get too caught up in significant symbols in the practice, like the water and oil. I think it is very important to identify the significant beliefs expressed, or at the least, make some comment on it being a central rite in Christianity. By all means, the water and oil are good things to talk about. But, for a three marker, I'd be more inclined to identify the importance to the religion as a whole, followed by the significance it has for the individual and community (or just adherents in general) and then a sentence that highlights some of the rituals within, like the water, oil, prayer, etc. Three sentences, maybe four, just like that, is ticking all of the boxes :)

Alright, thank you for that  :). In a way it seems like we just outline the most important parts from each of the three dot points in just a couple of sentences.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #196 on: October 24, 2016, 08:33:12 pm »
Alright, thank you for that  :). In a way it seems like we just outline the most important parts from each of the three dot points in just a couple of sentences.

Exactly right! Obviously, if the question asks more specifically of you one, then give that one emphasis. But if it's asking you to outline the practice, just pick and choose from the dot points :)
The best way to lift your game from waffle to articulate is by linking it to principal beliefs - so if you're ever not sure where to go, that's probably the best way!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Celeriac

• Trailblazer
« Reply #197 on: October 24, 2016, 08:55:23 pm »
Exactly right! Obviously, if the question asks more specifically of you one, then give that one emphasis. But if it's asking you to outline the practice, just pick and choose from the dot points :)
The best way to lift your game from waffle to articulate is by linking it to principal beliefs - so if you're ever not sure where to go, that's probably the best way!

Should quotes be used for a 3 mark question? For trials I used one or two short quotes for a 4 mark question, but I'm not sure about 3 markers.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #198 on: October 24, 2016, 09:51:38 pm »
Should quotes be used for a 3 mark question? For trials I used one or two short quotes for a 4 mark question, but I'm not sure about 3 markers.

I don't think it's a necessity, but I think an embedded quote adds a lot of sophistication to your work. It could be something as simple as referring to the Commandment of Love, for example.

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #199 on: October 25, 2016, 12:09:19 am »
Would you use the word "sin" in an Judaism essay or nah?
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #200 on: October 25, 2016, 07:11:22 am »
Would you use the word "sin" in an Judaism essay or nah?

From what I know it really isn't a Jewish word - perhaps transgression is a better option? I think the Jewish term is aveira, but it's possibly I'm quoting that out of context, best to check! Either way, transgression is a good bet!

aoife98

• Trailblazer
  • School: Bethlehem College
« Reply #201 on: October 25, 2016, 11:36:22 am »
What are the actual ethical principles for Islamic bioethics?
My teacher said:
1. Human beings are created in the best composition
2. Humanity accept's Allah's entrusting them with a body and soul for earthly life
3. Humanity is given the capacity to learn and reflect on the universe and Allah

but I don't really understand them/other resources are different?

aoife98

• Trailblazer
« Reply #202 on: October 25, 2016, 02:16:35 pm »
Is 2.5 handwritten pages enough for a 20 marker in sor1? I only did two examples but pretty in depth and it took me about 28 minutes.

WLalex

• Forum Regular
« Reply #203 on: October 25, 2016, 02:30:41 pm »
Is 2.5 handwritten pages enough for a 20 marker in sor1? I only did two examples but pretty in depth and it took me about 28 minutes.

Overall, it depends on the size of your writing but if it is any indication, my writing size is average and for my trial (20 marks Christianity and religion and peace) I wrote 5 pages.

Although it is quality over quantity, it is better to have more quality if that makes sense (also you can probably give it more than 28 minutes in the HSC) by gaining time from the first two sections
"You don't want to look back and know you could have done better"

2016: Advanced English, Mathematics , Extension Maths, Chemistry, SOR II, PDHPE

ATAR: 97.70

Celeriac

• Trailblazer
« Reply #204 on: October 25, 2016, 02:50:30 pm »
When describing a practice, is it necessary to reference principal beliefs in detail or should the focus be on the process?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #205 on: October 25, 2016, 04:03:28 pm »
When describing a practice, is it necessary to reference principal beliefs in detail or should the focus be on the process?

Hey! It depends on the question I suppose, it's never compulsory to use the beliefs unless they request it. That said, the beliefs are a fantastic way to link to the importance of the practice to the adherent and the wider community; which is a super common scenario to address ;D

Oh, but if you are DESCRIBING, it is vastly unnecessary. Sorry, should have been verb-specific ;)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #206 on: October 25, 2016, 05:18:58 pm »

I'd say that you can do really well in that time - but I'd kind of have in my head that three pages is where you want to be at. Of course, your writing could be really small which would void my statement. I don't like quantifying page lengths, but I know it can be a helpful guide. Aim for about 3 pages :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #207 on: October 25, 2016, 05:34:20 pm »
What are the actual ethical principles for Islamic bioethics?
My teacher said:
1. Human beings are created in the best composition
2. Humanity accept's Allah's entrusting them with a body and soul for earthly life
3. Humanity is given the capacity to learn and reflect on the universe and Allah

but I don't really understand them/other resources are different?

I'd agree with what your teacher has suggested.
Also: The value of life. This kind of just encompasses all of the above. So #1 is talking about humans as a perfect creation, they shouldn't really be altered or tainted, for Allah has created them perfectly. It looks to the principal beliefs of the religion, #2, because it is a belief in the trust of Allah and his plans for life and after life. Whereas #3 is more about the autonomy of humans to live life within Allah's plans (this is, in some ways, a source of msytery in the religion - where is the balance between autonomy and Allah's predetermined route of life?)

To summarise it all: The value of human creation and it's capacity. Basically saying, human life is extremely valued for it is perfectly composed, Allah has a path to be trusted, yet humans also have autonomy and capacity to make decisions.

You can have different wording for the ethics, which is where you've probably seen discrepancy. But this is the simplest way to look at it, I think! Does this make sense? Or clear as mud? :P

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #208 on: October 25, 2016, 08:08:55 pm »

SOR I and II both have the same essay expectations. And my teacher, who has been a HSC marker since the beginning of time (she probably witnessed the coming of jesus no word of a lie ;D) has always said 4-6 pages. Aim for 3 pages and 1 line if you want. But at least start a second booklet, even if you sre not going to complete it. What the markers dont want to admit, or dont realise, is that there is a subconscious tick of the box when they see more than one booklet (3 pages).

So my advice: 4 pages if small handwriting, 6 if big. But although I am nothing to go off seeing as SOR II is not my strongest subject I can write 4-4.5 big handwritten pages and get all the info I need to down.

Just as a quick note before my questionnaire, BOSTES expects 800 words.

But you can only know the true answer to this. Ask yourself these questions:
1) Is my handwriting big or small?
2) Do I write fast or not?
3) What have I written for similar essays in the past?
4) How much time do I allow myself? (I always encourage spending 40 mins on your essay instead of 35, and knocking 5 off the multichoice)
5) How much time do I spend planning? (1 min, 5 min etc)
6) How much do I know I can write in the actual writing time I have?
(Q4 - Q5)
7) Do I tend to get straight to the info, or do I prefer to reword the question three times before attempting to answer it? (Lol, I'm guilty of this sometimes.. :P)

Soz for the questionnaire, but you really need to know yourself how much you can write in a given amount of time. Its a skill that you need to learn. The aim of the game is to write as much as you can, as quick as you can (with it still making sense and being legible of course). Yes, definitely quality over quantity but 6 pages of half baked ideas looks a lot better  than a page and a half essay.

Hope this helps and sorry for the extended response! :P
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:10:43 pm by studybuddy7777 »

aoife98

• Trailblazer
« Reply #209 on: October 25, 2016, 08:19:06 pm »
SOR I and II both have the same essay expectations. And my teacher, who has been a HSC marker since the beginning of time (she probably witnessed the coming of jesus no word of a lie ;D) has always said 4-6 pages. Aim for 3 pages and 1 line if you want. But at least start a second booklet, even if you sre not going to complete it. What the markers dont want to admit, or dont realise, is that there is a subconscious tick of the box when they see more than one booklet (3 pages).

So my advice: 4 pages if small handwriting, 6 if big. But although I am nothing to go off seeing as SOR II is not my strongest subject I can write 4-4.5 big handwritten pages and get all the info I need to down.

Just as a quick note before my questionnaire, BOSTES expects 800 words.

But you can only know the true answer to this. Ask yourself these questions:
1) Is my handwriting big or small?
2) Do I write fast or not?
3) What have I written for similar essays in the past?
4) How much time do I allow myself? (I always encourage spending 40 mins on your essay instead of 35, and knocking 5 off the multichoice)
5) How much time do I spend planning? (1 min, 5 min etc)
6) How much do I know I can write in the actual writing time I have?
(Q4 - Q5)
7) Do I tend to get straight to the info, or do I prefer to reword the question three times before attempting to answer it? (Lol, I'm guilty of this sometimes.. :P)

Soz for the questionnaire, but you really need to know yourself how much you can write in a given amount of time. Its a skill that you need to learn. The aim of the game is to write as much as you can, as quick as you can (with it still making sense and being legible of course). Yes, definitely quality over quantity but 6 pages of half baked ideas looks a lot better  than a page and a half essay.

Hope this helps and sorry for the extended response! :P

Haha so many questions! I could physically write a lot more I've just run out of content. I'll have to add some waffle  :D Thanks anyways!