HSC Stuff > New South Wales Education Discussion

The Next Eleven Months

(1/1)

ssarahj:
When people find out that you’re in Year 12/final year of high school/completing the HSC, most of them magically seem to say a variation of one of three things:

a. “Oh darling you’ll be fine just stay organised and remember; your ATAR does not define who you are (okay maybe a little but don’t worry dear)”
b. “What are you going to do after you finish?”
c. “Ah! That was the worst year of my life! So stressful! So crazy! I hated it! You’ll probably have a breakdown! Good luck!”

Answer a. always made me want to roll my eyes, even more so now, as I’ve realised that its probably some of the most vague and least helpful advice/motivation that you could ever say to a Year 12 student.

Answer b. still remains the bane of my existence. I always regurgitated the perfect pre-prepared answer: “There’s a few degrees I’m looking at, hopefully I’ll know for sure by the end of the year”. Usually I would receive an encouraging nod and some very unhelpful advice.

Answer c. scared me the most when I was in Year 11. I built up this whole nightmarish idea that I wouldn’t be able to cope and that I should prepare myself for hours of studying into the night with only my desk lamp and computer to keep me company.

I can clearly remember complaining to a friend one day about the incredible pile of books on my shelf that I was dying to read but wouldn’t find the time to until I’d finished the HSC.

It might sound silly to some people, but there is always an underlying pressure that you should be efficient all of the time. Studying, revising, re-reading, practising questions in every spare moment you can grasp. We’ve always been told that the HSC is supposed to be terrible and difficult and stressful and that if you’re not crying yourself to sleep, you’re not trying hard enough.
But how ridiculous is that? The fact that I felt as though I could not find the time to sit down and read just because I had a set of exams in over 6 months time.

As my friend and I kept chatting about my book dilemma, she said, “Some people end up being just too busy for the rest of their lives”.

Don’t be too busy. Don’t let a handful of exams ruin what can be best year of your life so far.

So about half way through 2016, I decided to go to the beach everyday and have more picnics and see movies with my friends and to read those books and not feel guilty about one second of it. Because those are the parts of the year that I remember.

My advice is to compose a life that keeps on going even when your HSC year is over.

So what things are you 2017ers going to keep on making time for, even when things get crazy during this next year?

coolaths:
going to always keep time for my environmental campaigns, endurance running and karate  :)

jamonwindeyer:
What an awesome post!! I'm determined to keep making time to see friends over the next 12 months, I neglect the social times when things get busy! :)

RuiAce:

--- Quote from: jamonwindeyer on November 24, 2016, 06:33:13 pm ---What an awesome post!! I'm determined to keep making time to see friends over the next 12 months, I neglect the social times when things get busy! :)

--- End quote ---
Ehh I capitalise the holidays for these things... normally I care about my grades too much and just use message apps to chat :P

I for one used games for my fun though; it matters to me fairly now but during my HSC year I cared nothing for social life

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version