Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 03:20:52 am

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 852964 times)  Share 

FatimaEl

• Forum Regular
  • 💕📒✏️💕
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #1440 on: October 18, 2016, 08:27:47 pm »
Does anyone have any tips on getting timing right?? I have always struggled with timing; give me 3 hours and I can pull out a killer essay but give me 60 minutes and it all goes downhill. Unless my school marks really easily, I'm not actually bad at english. I've gotten A+ on all SAC's this year, but under the stress and time limits of exam conditions my mind just goes blank and I can never finish a full essay. Tips please?

• write a detailed plan, never leave the planning page empty in the plan, write key words you want to include in your topic sentences for each paragraph, and maybe like some really random brief sentences that will basically only make sense to you
  • once you have that and you've begun writing, you will realise you will write quickly because you have stimulated your brain and you want to  get all those ideas into your actual essay the plan is also crucial because when your brain just gets fuzzy and blocked you can turn back to it, focus on your brief sentence then get back to writing, this really helps me with making sure im not wasting time but rather that im always writing
  • my last tip is putting on 60 minute timers from now all the way til the 26th and just force yourself to write in that time, practice makes perfect after all
idk if that helped, hope it did  :)
2015: Further Mathematics
2016: English | Biology | Psychology | Health & Human Dev. | Text & Traditions
"verily with the hardship there is relief" – Quran 94:6

FatimaEl

• Forum Regular
  • 💕📒✏️💕
« Reply #1441 on: October 18, 2016, 08:34:07 pm »
hey guys can we ask questions in a text response essay then answer them or is that too informal?

goodbye

« Reply #1442 on: October 18, 2016, 10:08:58 pm »
hey guys can we ask questions in a text response essay then answer them or is that too informal?

As like a rhetorical question sort of thing? If so, then no. You want to be succinct as possible when writing.

FatimaEl

• Forum Regular
  • 💕📒✏️💕
« Reply #1443 on: October 18, 2016, 10:23:35 pm »
As like a rhetorical question sort of thing? If so, then no. You want to be succinct as possible when writing.
Not a rhetorical question, as that sorta answers itself, but a legitimate question that audiences may ask, then answer it? Personally i think it might sound weird but ive seen people in my class do it and theyre high scorers so idk

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #1444 on: October 19, 2016, 07:41:09 am »
+1
Not a rhetorical question, as that sorta answers itself, but a legitimate question that audiences may ask, then answer it? Personally i think it might sound weird but ive seen people in my class do it and theyre high scorers so idk

I would say no question marks is the key thing when talking about questions raised in the text. So rather than writing:

[Question]? [Author] suggests...

You would write:

This raises the question of [question]. [Author] suggests...

Which might look like:
This raises the question of whether we are ever truly free from the remnants of our past. [Author] suggests...

Does that make sense? :)

michael leahcim

« Reply #1445 on: October 19, 2016, 07:54:57 am »
Hey I know this is really late to be asking this, but how would you recommend going about doing a text response for poetry? I'm going to do John Donne's poems and I was wondering how much I should talk about his life and times.

Thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 12:23:17 pm by michael leahcim »

FatimaEl

• Forum Regular
  • 💕📒✏️💕
« Reply #1446 on: October 19, 2016, 09:47:36 am »
I would say no question marks is the key thing when talking about questions raised in the text. So rather than writing:

[Question]? [Author] suggests...

You would write:

This raises the question of [question]. [Author] suggests...

Which might look like:
This raises the question of whether we are ever truly free from the remnants of our past. [Author] suggests...

Does that make sense? :)
Yes that makes sense, thank you :)

Rob16

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #1447 on: October 19, 2016, 03:12:50 pm »
do topic sentences always have to be in one sentence? I'm finding that in a lot of my essays the topic sentence is usually two sentences because I can't seem to succinctly explain my paragraph in one sentence

katk11

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #1448 on: October 19, 2016, 09:07:56 pm »
Quick question, I've been hearing different things and I am unsure which way to go, but with context, is it best to mention at least one text in every paragraph with it relating to an external example? Or can you write one paragraph on one text, then another on an external example, and so on? Thanks!

Daniellac

• Adventurer
  • School: Kilvington
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #1449 on: October 21, 2016, 03:29:58 pm »
Hey :))

I was wondering if there are any visual analysis examples for Lang Analysis?

Thank you!! x

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #1450 on: October 21, 2016, 04:39:30 pm »
Hey :))

I was wondering if there are any visual analysis examples for Lang Analysis?

Thank you!! x

English Resources and Sample Essays > Samples > Language Analysis Samples

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #1451 on: October 22, 2016, 12:59:30 pm »
+1
Could someone please confirm the following:

- The LA visuals will be black and white, right? And they'll be clear, right? Had a practice exam a few days ago and the printer the teachers used to print it out was legit so low quality that it was a real struggle to make out what the visual even was... (seeking peace of mind more than anything really)

- I hope this isn't the case but god forbid I hit the first hour and have like a paragraph to finish and a conclusion to do. Do I cut it short and work on the others and come back to it if I have the time or do I finish it? Is it better to have a complete essay and compromise the quality of another or an incomplete essay and not compromise the quality of the other two essays?

anthonyttran

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #1452 on: October 22, 2016, 02:12:33 pm »
do topic sentences always have to be in one sentence? I'm finding that in a lot of my essays the topic sentence is usually two sentences because I can't seem to succinctly explain my paragraph in one sentence

I find that it is best to try and succinctly outline the body paragraph idea in one sentence. Although it is not too strict. If you decide on using two sentences just make sure you are not being too wordy and explaining unnecessary ideas.
2013: Business Management
2014: English [50] | Maths Methods | Chemistry | Legal Studies
2015 - 2017: Bachelor of Biomedicine

Taking Expressions of Interest for 2017 English Tutoring: [email protected]

KDB

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #1453 on: October 22, 2016, 02:21:09 pm »
+2

- The LA visuals will be black and white, right? And they'll be clear, right? Had a practice exam a few days ago and the printer the teachers used to print it out was legit so low quality that it was a real struggle to make out what the visual even was... (seeking peace of mind more than anything really)

- I hope this isn't the case but god forbid I hit the first hour and have like a paragraph to finish and a conclusion to do. Do I cut it short and work on the others and come back to it if I have the time or do I finish it? Is it better to have a complete essay and compromise the quality of another or an incomplete essay and not compromise the quality of the other two essays?

Yes, the L.A. visual(s) will be in black & white, it will be clear and easy to see.

If i assume you'll be doing L.A. first, then you should probably go ahead and finish it as it needs a conclusion (just incase there's no time to go back to it at the end). If it was context, an overall conclusion isn't necessary (you can sort of end them anywhere, but not too randomly) although for Text Response and L.A. they kind of are needed. Just try and aim for a balance between all three sections, keeping an eye on the time!

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #1454 on: October 22, 2016, 02:26:23 pm »
+3
Hey I know this is really late to be asking this, but how would you recommend going about doing a text response for poetry? I'm going to do John Donne's poems and I was wondering how much I should talk about his life and times.

Thanks!  :)
For starters, never limit a paragraph to a single poem if you can avoid it. The big challenge with poetry and story stories is to unite/consolidate the text and talk about how things connect together; conducting three or four separate analyses of three or four poems/stories is more typical of mid-range responses.

Thematic connections are awesome, and if the prompt allows, I'd recommend breaking down the topic into three or four core concepts that you can explore using a variety of poems in each para. As for the author's life and times... try to minimise that stuff. If it's relevant, you can include it, but harking on and on about historical background info kind of just distracts from your focus on the text. But if it is actually aiding your analysis AND you can integrate it with textual analysis, then go for it! (Use the half sentence rule - e.g. 'Donne's preoccupation with metaphysical conceits can be seen in the imagery of 'Valediction' where...' as opposed to: 'Donne was preoccupied with metaphysical conceits. This can be seen in the imagery of 'Valediction' where...' - so your use of background info is visibly connected to some other part of your discussion, rather than having a whole sentence like the underlined one which isn't as relevant to the task).

You can stretch it out over two, and it can be good to explore your key idea before launching into evidence, though it may also be worth practising your conciseness just so you have the option of quicker, sharper T.S.s if you need them :)

Quick question, I've been hearing different things and I am unsure which way to go, but with context, is it best to mention at least one text in every paragraph with it relating to an external example? Or can you write one paragraph on one text, then another on an external example, and so on? Thanks!

Either of those would be fine! :) It depends how well your set text works with your external examples, but for either scenario, you want to make sure your piece ties together nicely. For instance, you should try and avoid having one paragraph on the text, and then two or three other paragraphs that are entirely unrelated (e.g. 1. 'here's a discussion of a book' 2. 'here's something that happened in the Australian media this year' 3. 'here's something that happened in WWII.' 4. 'here's an anecdote about my experiences.') Ideally, you want some kind of link that ties them together, or some kind of common thread running through your piece, no matter your text+example combination. (e.g. 1. 'here's a discussion of how this novel addresses dealing with change' 2. 'here's a significant change that was going on at the time the text was set/written' 3. 'here are some of the consequences of those changes for today's society' etc.)

Visuals will absolutely 100% be black and white unless VCAA splurge on a colour printer this year :P For some reason, the GAT is in colour, but the English exams never are :'( <-- visual art student tears
Printing quality will also be good; the scans on VCAA's site are sometimes kind of dodgy, but the printed ones are always clear enough.

Re: sticking with one essay or jumping to the others, that's up to you. If it's a whole other paragraph you've got to do, I'd maybe go to the others and just ensure you can write enough for each of them, but maybe try and speed things up to ensure you get an extra ten or so minutes at the end. Basically, it's better to have three essays that are worth 9/10 and are all a bit imperfect because you cut each of them short than one that's worth a 10/10 and is utterly immaculate and complete with two others that are only worth 7s because you sacrificed time you should've devoted to those ones. But on the flip side, you might be able to race through the end of a paragraph and a conclusion in about five minutes to save yourself the trouble of coming back and re-acquainting yourself with the material, so you might also decide that's a better option in the heat of the moment. Either would be fine, so don't stress about picking the wrong choice if you're in that situation :)

edit: beaten by Jason :P