Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 06:00:58 pm

Author Topic: How hard is it to pick up psychology 3/4 without 1/2 with the 2017 study design?  (Read 2902 times)  Share 

S61190

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Haileybury
  • School Grad Year: 2018
I'm picking up psych 3/4 without the 1/2 and I've heard that you need to know more things from the 1/2 then you had to in previous study designs?? Is this true?? And what do you need to know??

nt2387

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
I'm picking up psych 3/4 without the 1/2 and I've heard that you need to know more things from the 1/2 then you had to in previous study designs?? Is this true?? And what do you need to know??
It's definitely manageable.

As far as I'm aware the major similarity is Research Methods. It would be advisable to read over that section of your textbook during the summer holidays. Even if you don't, I can't see any real problems.

There are content similarities between 1/2 and 3/4 now, but the content is pretty easy. You won't be at any disadvantage if you don't do 1/2.

Also, nice to see some other Haileybury students on this site. The Psych teachers at the school are very good so I wouldn't stress about anything.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 08:25:57 pm by nt2387 »
2015: Accounting 49 | Sociology 44

2016: Psychology 49 | English 45 | Chemistry 45 | Methods 41     ATAR: 99.55

TUTORING 2017 - PM if interested!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477

Hiya S61190,

Welcome to ATAR Notes! ;D

You're right in saying that the study design has changed, so your question is a good one. I've recently posted a thread that summarises all of the changes from the old study design (so the new things, the things that have been taken out, and the things that have remained), meaning that you can easily see the situation. You can find the thread in question here. I hope that helps! :)

But to answer your question directly, I don't think heaps has changed in terms of knowledge carried over from Psych 1/2. And even then, I don't think Psych 1/2 is necessary to score highly in Psych 3/4. As noted by nt2387 above, I'd advise having a look at what VCAA has called the "Key science skills" (content relevant to Units 1/2 and Units 3/4), which is listed explicitly on pages 11 to 13 of  the new study design.

All the best! :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.