Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:13:40 pm

Author Topic: Monash vs UoM Biomedicine/Science  (Read 1277 times)  Share 

Bunjil

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Monash vs UoM Biomedicine/Science
« on: December 18, 2016, 11:47:06 pm »
Hi,

So I've just completed year 12 and have received my ATAR, and am tossing up between several options. I am interested in studying medicine but am unsure what direction to head.

Firstly, my UMAT wasn't too crash hot, and my ATAR (87.35) is off the requirement for Monash's undergrad med, so that option's out.

I am eligible for the Monash Guarantee, which brings the ATAR requirement for Biomedicine at Monash to 88. Even though I'm one off would they still possibly offer it to me? My next option would be a Science Degree at Melbourne/Monash. Which university would be better off and give me more options with respect to medicine? I understand that Monash don't accept transfers from any other universities so would it be more advantageous for me to complete my degree there?

Also, If i did a science degree at Monash, would it be possible for me to transfer to a biomedicine course with good enough marks? Would it mean I have to start the course again and would I still be eligible for the 50 guaranteed spotrs for Monash biomed students??

Thanks in advance for any advice/answers  :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Monash vs UoM Biomedicine/Science
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 01:34:57 am »
With 87.35 its worth a go into getting in. I have seen people get in below the monash gurantee but you never know.

Yes you can transfer from science to biomed

No you arent eligible for the 50 places (must start first year biomed at monash)

yxxl

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 02:19:29 am »
I'm kind of confused about this as well. I don't want to go straight into Biomed but I do want to eventually do medicine at Monash. Some clarification as to what BSc students can do to get into medicine at monash will be appreciated.
2016 VCE!
Chemistry (49)
Biology (50)
English Language (50)

ATAR - 99.35

2017 - Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

Hopelesshopefull

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 08:01:28 pm »
I'm kind of confused about this as well. I don't want to go straight into Biomed but I do want to eventually do medicine at Monash. Some clarification as to what BSc students can do to get into medicine at monash will be appreciated.

yes there are actually  25 spots in med at monash for science, physio and pharmacy students. But  biomed students can also apply for these spots if they haven't got in via the 50 spots reserved for biomed students. So basically more ppl are eligible for these spots. also if ur in science u have to make sure u complete prereq  subjects
check out this site: http://www.med.monash.edu.au/medicine/admissions/grad-entry/2017-entry.html
hope this helps :)